đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

The Academy To Investigate Andrea Riseborough's Oscar Best Actress Nom

RAMROD

Featured Posts

Franch Toast
1 hour ago, jacs vs looser said:

Oh please, this is just the academy trying to pin the blame on not having nominated WOC for best actress. 

What about Cate Blanchett and Michelle Williams? Are you going to tell me they did not campaign at all? Do they not have friends in Hollywood who helped vote them in? Please... 

I don't disagree with you about the Academy potentially wanting to shift blame, but I just want to point out that Michelle Yeoh is a WOC, and is the first openly* Asian person to be nominated for Best Actress at the Oscars, which is a huge freaking deal. 

("*Openly" needed as a qualifier because Merle Oberon, who was nominated in 1935, was part South Asian but hid her non-white heritage from Hollywood)

But it's disappointing that two phenomenal performances by Black actresses were shut out of these awards, and one could argue that one of the issues is that Michelle Williams should've been in the Best Supporting Actress category. 

She/Her/Hers

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ZiggyZiggs
57 minutes ago, Franch Toast said:

For those not understanding why this is a violation (copied & pasted from Reddit):

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fauxmoi/comments/10mcs8b/comment/j62dxyh/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

"- Academy voting rules are actually super strict so the Academy board is having a meeting next week to determine if this violated any of them.

- Rule 10 of Academy voting is the one this campaign might have violated: "Contacting Academy members directly and in a manner outside of the scope of these rules to promote a film or achievement for Academy Award consideration is expressly forbidden."

- Here is an email that the wife of To Leslie's director, Mary McCormak, sent to her friends, which might be considered lobbying: "If you’re willing to post every day between now and Jan 17th, that would be amazing! But anything is helpful, so please do whatever makes you comfortable. And what’s more comfortable than posting about a movie every day!”

- In 2014, the Academy rescinded a nomination for composer Bruce Broughton for a similar reason, because he was found to have “improperly lobbied” more than 70 members of the music branch via email.

- Frances Fisher, who was one of the actors being the most aggressive about helping with the online campaign, also might have violated a rule, Rule 11, which pertains to “References to Other Nominees”. Breaking this rule carries a one-year suspension of membership for first-time offenders. In an Instagram post Frances listed all of the actresses Riseborough would be competing against and implied that they were "locks". Viola Davis was one of the actresses she mentioned by name and she didn't wind up getting a nomination, so it could be argued that by Frances attempting to convince voters that Davis was a lock, she swayed the vote in an "illegal" manner. (Edited to add: this would only be a violation of rules if turns out Frances was told by McCormack or anyone else on the To Leslie team to post about the movie, which she almost definitely was - there's no way she just independently decided to campaign for the movie at the exact same time all of the other celebs did without persuasion - so it doesn't look good for her.)

TL;DR depending on how the Academy governors board decides to vote, the campaign might have broken two key voting rules and could possibly be rescinded."

since a total of 0 of y'all bothered to read the rules or going through something before commenting on the issue, gonna tag y'all so u can take a look at it. @bionic @weed @dit @jacs vs looser 

elijahfan
2 hours ago, bionic said:

drag me but i have zero issue with her using her network to secure a nom. isn't that literally the point of a campaign? how many stars like meryl, jamie lee curtis, leo etc have got noms because of their name alone or because its their 'time'?

im not sure how this one nomination in particular is racist. lots of white peple dont have hollywood connections too. there are plenty of other noms that could've been cut in favor of Black women candidates

I completely agree, we all know how these award shows work, she played the game like the others who admittedly had a big push from Sony, MGM and Amazon. They're just salty she used a slightly different method and they didn't see it coming. So I'm not sure why Andrea's 'white connexions' are suddenly more problematic than these equally white big corporations. Making it a race thing really is the cherry on top...

If they actually wanted to tackle the real issues, they'd rethink the way the Academy works from top to bottom. Like, how they always give nods to the same films and the same genres. Award shows are just a big ad campaign. Everyone at the Academy is from the industry and has inherent conflicts of interests... so this is bullshit by definition.

djBuffoon

This only underlines how politicized the Oscars are. They're ostensibly celebrating "the best" of cinema every year, yet it really comes down to campaign and studio pushes. Andrea Riseborough's performance is excellent, and should be able to speak for itself apart from any potential lobbying.

Not The Real Gaga
1 hour ago, Franch Toast said:

For those not understanding why this is a violation (copied & pasted from Reddit):

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fauxmoi/comments/10mcs8b/comment/j62dxyh/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

"- Academy voting rules are actually super strict so the Academy board is having a meeting next week to determine if this violated any of them.

- Rule 10 of Academy voting is the one this campaign might have violated: "Contacting Academy members directly and in a manner outside of the scope of these rules to promote a film or achievement for Academy Award consideration is expressly forbidden."

- Here is an email that the wife of To Leslie's director, Mary McCormak, sent to her friends, which might be considered lobbying: "If you’re willing to post every day between now and Jan 17th, that would be amazing! But anything is helpful, so please do whatever makes you comfortable. And what’s more comfortable than posting about a movie every day!”

- In 2014, the Academy rescinded a nomination for composer Bruce Broughton for a similar reason, because he was found to have “improperly lobbied” more than 70 members of the music branch via email.

- Frances Fisher, who was one of the actors being the most aggressive about helping with the online campaign, also might have violated a rule, Rule 11, which pertains to “References to Other Nominees”. Breaking this rule carries a one-year suspension of membership for first-time offenders. In an Instagram post Frances listed all of the actresses Riseborough would be competing against and implied that they were "locks". Viola Davis was one of the actresses she mentioned by name and she didn't wind up getting a nomination, so it could be argued that by Frances attempting to convince voters that Davis was a lock, she swayed the vote in an "illegal" manner. (Edited to add: this would only be a violation of rules if turns out Frances was told by McCormack or anyone else on the To Leslie team to post about the movie, which she almost definitely was - there's no way she just independently decided to campaign for the movie at the exact same time all of the other celebs did without persuasion - so it doesn't look good for her.)

TL;DR depending on how the Academy governors board decides to vote, the campaign might have broken two key voting rules and could possibly be rescinded."

Meanwhile, it is okay for the big studio's to send voters nice goodie bags to promote their movies...

PS. I hate that sub so much. Their performative activism is annoying af

bionic
26 minutes ago, ZiggyZiggs said:

since a total of 0 of y'all bothered to read the rules or going through something before commenting on the issue, gonna tag y'all so u can take a look at it. @bionic @weed @dit @jacs vs looser 

ok that makes sense. still completely unrelated to race tho

buy bionic

jacs vs looser
54 minutes ago, Franch Toast said:

I just want to point out that Michelle Yeoh is a WOC, and is the first openly* Asian person to be nominated for Best Actress at the Oscars, which is a huge freaking deal. 

Oh yes, I know about Michelle, I'm super happy for her BTW. I'm not American and English isn't my first language, I thought WOC meant black/brown women, which is what I meant (that's the context I've seen it used in). So is it just not being white? Pardon my confusion. 

Franch Toast
4 minutes ago, jacs vs looser said:

Oh yes, I know about Michelle, I'm super happy for her BTW. I'm not American and English isn't my first language, I thought WOC meant black/brown women, which is what I meant (that's the context I've seen it used in). So is it just not being white? Pardon my confusion. 

No problem. WOC stands for "women of color," which would mean any woman who's not white. Asian people are considered POC/BIPOC. 

She/Her/Hers

nodandsmile

the way studios spend millions in FYC ads, magazine covers, fake honorary awards to get nominations... they did it with a few phone calls for their $23K grossing movie

200.gif

ZiggyZiggs
1 hour ago, bionic said:

ok that makes sense. still completely unrelated to race tho

hm not true. I would argue that, a lot of stuff is related to race sadly. in the academy's 90+ years there's only been ONE Asian woman (she was passing as white at the time so technically 0 openly asian actresses had been nominated) to be nominated for an academy award, in the 1920's/30's, Michelle Yeoh is the first woman to be NOMINATED (stressing on the nominated part) in almost a 100 years, which is insane.

how many black leading actresses do we see every year? a lot. how many has one for best actress? ONE. Halle berry, who's a lightskinned biracial woman. a total of zero mono-racial black women have won. ZERO. Viola Davis and Danielle Deadwyler were supposed to be shoe-ins for a nomination, they got overlooked. so again, ppl can say that not everything is about race but unfortunately it is. its just facts :/ 

ZiggyZiggs
49 minutes ago, nodandsmile said:

the way studios spend millions in FYC ads, magazine covers, fake honorary awards to get nominations... they did it with a few phone calls for their $23K grossing movie

200.gif

spending money on fyi ads are very different from personally calling up members of the academy and begging to put a person's name on their ballot. and getting your friends to do the same. two very different things at least imo

bionic
10 minutes ago, ZiggyZiggs said:

hm not true. I would argue that, a lot of stuff is related to race sadly. in the academy's 90+ years there's only been ONE Asian woman (she was passing as white at the time so technically 0 openly asian actresses had been nominated) to be nominated for an academy award, in the 1920's/30's, Michelle Yeoh is the first woman to be NOMINATED (stressing on the nominated part) in almost a 100 years, which is insane.

how many black leading actresses do we see every year? a lot. how many has one for best actress? ONE. Halle berry, who's a lightskinned biracial woman. a total of zero mono-racial black women have won. ZERO. Viola Davis and Danielle Deadwyler were supposed to be shoe-ins for a nomination, they got overlooked. so again, ppl can say that not everything is about race but unfortunately it is. its just facts :/ 

lets say that andrea's investigated and its found her nomination was illegal. is that a spot where a black woman could have been nominated? sure. does it mean it would have been a black woman nominated if she didn't? who knows who was the next on the list. singling out this nomination as racist is nonsensical.

if the whole academy needs to be criticized for being dominated by white people (and that is a criticism that i would 100% agree with) then thats fine, but andrea's nomination itself? not really

buy bionic

Isn’t this the exact same thing that happened last year when Penelope Cruz replaced Gaga at the last moment despite not getting into any precursors? I remember all her Hollywood friends posting on Instagram and asking people to vote for her. 

bionic
Just now, Meat said:

Isn’t this the exact same thing that happened last year when Penelope Cruz replaced Gaga at the last moment despite not getting into any precursors? I remember all her Hollywood friends posting on Instagram and asking people to vote for her. 

Are you saying Gaga cheated?

buy bionic

moonsago

I am sorry but them trying to spin this into some racist thing is literally so gross and another example of woke becoming toxic af. They are literally trying to emotionally manipulate people into thinking that 2 other actresses didn’t get their noms because they happen to be black... violation of the rules or not, bringing in the race card when it’s not about ANY of that is ridiculous. And to act like Viola Davis of all people doesn’t have connections in Hollywood... white connections... seriously? Now everytime somebody black doesn’t get something it’s racism? This conversation is getting out of hand. 

Archived