Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Billy Eichner blames homophobia for BROS poor numbers

Dojo

Featured Posts

I wanted to like Billy Eichner, but I can’t help permanently perceiving him as an obnoxious person due to has past roles :laughga: Therefore I had no interest in this film.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Levine

He's kinda right, but here's the thing. Why a straight man should go to see this movie after watching the trailer? Like it's just not his cup of tea.

It's like me whenI see a trailer of a movie with Stallone, police, action, I don't like those. And that doesn't make me a straight hater (well).

I don't know... the movie has a specific target audience, what did he expect? 

A theatre pulling out the trailer is another thing tho and that's homophobic.

If u guys dont know him, just shush.

checkout my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5iGoXYpXnIfLHH1o7H9lxA

NATAH
6 hours ago, ItWasntLaauv said:

All the pick me gays saying “but I had no desire to see it either”… like okay. He’s describing one of the reasons people may not want to see it, not THE reason. He’s clearly very proud of his movie and wants everyone to get the chance to see it. People keep dragging him and it’s weird, people beg for representation that isn’t a tragic, death, AIDS storyline and we finally got a theatrically released romcom. Could he have worded these tweets in a different way, sure, but let’s not pretend we don’t see where he’s coming from.

i'm not a pick me just because i have no desire to spend money on a movie i'm not interested in :triggered:

if he wanted my money, he should have made a movie i'd be interested in :triggered:

mother, what must i do?

Togekiss
8 hours ago, Cameltoe Chariot said:

The movie reminds of me the type of comedy that was popular like 15+ years ago with movies like 40 Year Old Virgin, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Knocked Up, etc... like it looks funny but also extremely dated and not what people go to see in theatres anymore :glamourpuss:

Honestly this description makes me want to se it more… I kinda miss movies like that :laughga:

bring on that pecan pie

chromaticainmyhead

release a movie that literally approaches the likes and humor of West Hollywood gays only and then act suprised and call homophobia when it bombs... Personally I like the movie but trying to colour everyone not going homophobic is simply dumb. I'd have preferred a storyline that shows people aren't any much different than straight folk and I'd say with an intelligently written humour it would have worked fine at the box office. Our world is ready for such a movie but one that is well made. This movie though is lighthearted and fun and totally legitimate but nothing special sadly and it's sad because it's such a major release with Universial supporting

fan-tas-tique, chic, freak, slaaaay

RahrahWitch

I get where he's coming from but let's be realistic, a gay movie will always sell less, It's sad but it's true.

As Gay people we are surrounded by straight relationships in every from of media so we're used to seeing that. Straight people rarely see gay media, which is why some make such a big deal when suddenly there's a gay character. A lot wont connect to a gay story so they're not interested.

littlepotter
5 hours ago, Meat said:

And studios pay attention to these things. If even gay people don’t want to watch gay stories then they’ll simply stop making them. 

Yeah, and lucky for us we're the most "im different!" community there is

chaeri pls

21 minutes ago, chromaticainmyhead said:

release a movie that literally approaches the likes and humor of West Hollywood gays only and then act suprised and call homophobia when it bombs... Personally I like the movie but trying to colour everyone not going homophobic is simply dumb. I'd have preferred a storyline that shows people aren't any much different than straight folk and I'd say with an intelligently written humour it would have worked fine at the box office. Our world is ready for such a movie but one that is well made. This movie though is lighthearted and fun and totally legitimate but nothing special sadly and it's sad because it's such a major release with Universial supporting

yeah tbh this is lowkey true

i am sure the gay comedic world is beyond tops, bottoms and poppers, those jokes aren't funny at all anymore, when i heard them in the trailer i was already bored

River

the movie itself is homophobia

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Ziggy
8 hours ago, ItWasntLaauv said:

All the pick me gays saying “but I had no desire to see it either”… like okay. He’s describing one of the reasons people may not want to see it, not THE reason. He’s clearly very proud of his movie and wants everyone to get the chance to see it. People keep dragging him and it’s weird, people beg for representation that isn’t a tragic, death, AIDS storyline and we finally got a theatrically released romcom. Could he have worded these tweets in a different way, sure, but let’s not pretend we don’t see where he’s coming from.

People are tagging on it bc everyone is trying to guilt queer people into seeing this during mass inflation times when queers historically have not a ton of money. And we’re being guilted into seeing this? I’m sure it’s good, but it really isn’t that big of a win for diversity on screen. Straight passing, hot cis gay white guys have had the run of the diversity roost for a while and I think it’s absolutely understandable that, hey, that just might not resonate with some people anymore when there’s other queer stuff that does show *them.

like I said, I’m sure it’s not a bad movie and it isn’t about that. It just isn’t resonant with all the queer community and the most advantaged part of the community trying to guilt others into seeing it is just kinda silly. It’s not a movie for them, you know? And it’s also fine to acknowledge that Rom coms just aren’t big in theaters anymore. You add all these factors together and it makes sense it’s flopping. But we can’t blame queer folks for that lmao

He made some points... The general public is only here for gay movies if the gay role is being played by a straight man. For example Brokeback Mountain, Love Simon etc. Sad tbh. 

HorusRa2

I thought the movie was abysmal. Glad some liked it, but I don't think it was well executed and did not do the community any favors to new audiences. 

1. Homophobia will always be a factor as to why some people choose not to see this movie. How large is that factor? Nobody knows. Is that sad? Yes.

2  I’m very happy about having more gay representation in film. That’s never a bad thing.

3. This movie suffers from a big ego. Just because it has Apatow and Eichner, rave reviews, and a huge marketing budget doesn’t make it a smash hit.

4. The reason why it’s not a smash hit, I think, is because at the end of the day people still want to watch movies that they can relate to…especially if it’s a lighthearted comedy. The same way I (as a gay man) am not running to the theater to watch a romcom about straights, I wouldn’t expect straights to do that for a romcom about gays.

5. I think it has to do with the genre too. These days, do straights even run to the theater to watch a romcom about straights? As we have seen, Oscar worthy dramas with LGBT themes and A list actors have fared well in the past.

5. If LGBTQ+ people represent only 10-15% of the population, why was the film industry expecting this movie to do so well? I’m glad this movie exists, but I never expected or needed it to become the #1 movie in the country. 

Archived