Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Harry Styles reveals he doesn't go full frontal in My Policeman

Teletubby

Featured Posts

moonsago
7 hours ago, Ziggy said:

It’s the idea that gay people don’t even get cast for straight roles so if they’re not getting cast for gay roles then do they have ANY place in Hollywood? That’s the issue. If there was equity then, yea, skill would be the only concern but equality without equity doesn’t amount  to much

Gay people have played straight characters too in the past, and your point is half valid and I agree with it, the way to move forward is to ELIMINATE the importance we put on one’s sexuality for the role they are playing. That’s what our focus should be on, fighting for queer people to play JUST queer roles is gonna become the next problem, queer actors will be boxed and limited to only a type of body of work. That’s what my entire point was really about, that we should focus on inclusivity on all levels, not just this limited version of it that gives us momentary satisfaction. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chlorine Sevigny
13 hours ago, PartySick said:

Agreed. And Gaga playing a murderer but really being aloof about her own homicides (homocides?) really feels off to me too.

...jk, I know it's not the same :ladyhaha: but I love Harry and I'll be as delusional as I have to be to defend him :neyde:

:partysick:

Chlorine Sevigny
1 minute ago, PartySick said:

Yes, Franklin? :partysick:

I never pegged you (pause) as a Harry stan :triggered:

PartySick
3 minutes ago, Frank Potion said:

I never pegged you (pause) as a Harry stan :triggered:

You take that pause out of your mouth, mister :patrizia:

Why wouldn't I like Hairy :partysick: he's a sweet dude, sings my favorite Lizzo song, and has good music :partysick:

🖤

Chlorine Sevigny
Just now, PartySick said:

You take that pause out of your mouth, mister :patrizia:

Why wouldn't I like Hairy :partysick: he's a sweet dude, sings my favorite Lizzo song, and has good music :partysick:

I like hairy too. giphy.gif

SKANK

I know that queer-baiting is a fresh buzz concept that people are excited to use, but as a queer person, I totally reject that it's an actual issue. :toofunny:

Harry Styles isn't "exploiting the gay community's mental and physical pain" because he isn't interested in defining his sexuality on your terms on your timeline. To demand that an actor identify their sexual history or sexuality before you decide if it's acceptable for them to take certain jobs is weird. 

Harry unabashedly supports the gay community, and is challenging gender norms, and while his career may benefit from his ease with gender and sexuality, ultimately so does our culture. 

Find a new boogieman. 

gypsy101
14 hours ago, moonsago said:

And should gay people only take gay roles? And trans people only trans roles? Ask any of these communities of actors and they will tell you that they don’t want to be boxed like that and be just the TRANS actor or the GAY actor. Please, true representation happens when these barries stop existing completely, on all ends. When it’s not even a topic of conversation, when it’s not even a thing, when you are seen as JUST an actor portraying a role. And to the subject about his sexuality, he doesn’t owe anybody an explanation or anything in general. It’s his personal life, stay for the work or don’t.

it’s not the same thing when it’s a straight playing gay and you know it. or you should.

moonsago
28 minutes ago, SKANK said:

I know that queer-baiting is a fresh buzz concept that people are excited to use, but as a queer person, I totally reject that it's an actual issue. :toofunny:

Harry Styles isn't "exploiting the gay community's mental and physical pain" because he isn't interested in defining his sexuality on your terms on your timeline. To demand that an actor identify their sexual history or sexuality before you decide if it's acceptable for them to take certain jobs is weird. 

Harry unabashedly supports the gay community, and is challenging gender norms, and while his career may benefit from his ease with gender and sexuality, ultimately so does our culture. 

Find a new boogieman. 

Amen. People act like he’s an undercover homophobe or something, looking to exploit our culture. Delusional. And it’s so true, having an alleged straight man challenge gender norms and stereotypes is extremely beneficial for our community as well. It’s literally normalizing some of the concepts and ideas we have been discussing in our own community and hoping to break through outside in the world as well. But of course, we are hypocrites. We have all this talk about stereotypes and what’s socially acceptable and how we should wear whatever we want and act however we want regardless of what society says but then when somebody that doesn’t define themselves the way we want them to ( especially a straight person ), we label them as queer baiting. Talk about putting our foot in our own mouths. How are we to be taken seriously by the rest of the world? What a joke. 

ssslyboy

Did anyone else think "... both ways" when they read the thread title "Harry Styles reveals he doesn't go..." ?  :giggle:

StrawberryBlond

I really don't understand the pressure on Harry to formally announce his orientation, whatever it may be. I thought we were living in a bold new world now where we don't need to put a label on our sexuality? Especially when we're young and figuring what it is we're into and what we want from life? And coming out has its problems, especially admitting being bi. Many bi people have said that afterwards, they were constantly getting policed by those around them, having it pointed out that despite claiming to be bi, they'd made nothing but straight choices, so they must be faking for attention and because being bi is trendy now. I have a bi friend who says that when he tries to make a connection with women, he just tells them he's straight (he did this with me too) and brings up the bi part later on when he feels they'll understand because he's frequently had women get weirded out when presented with bi men and some of them lose interest immediately when they find out. Undoubtedly for men, being bi can be difficult because so many people think that bi men are just the same as gay men and that calling themselves bi is just to make them more palatable to the straight crowd and that it's just a cover for coming out as gay further down the line. So, for a man to come out as bi can be a minefield.

And at the end of the day, not everyone feels comfortable talking about their sexuality publicly. They don't like how the world starts looking at you differently and would rather live a drama-free life free of judgement and only like their nearest and dearest to know. I'm bi-curious myself but because I ultimately see myself as straight and I couldn't see myself pursuing things fully with women, I see no need to tell anyone unless I feel they'd 100% get it. Just let people do what's right for them. Harry's clearly a massive supporter of the gays and challenges gender norms, that should be enough. I don't get why you need to know an artist's sexuality to know how much you can like them or if you should like them at all. I also don't know how Harry coming out would benefit his fans. It's highly unlikely he'd ever get with you, celebrities tend to date other celebrities, so how does it affect you?

BBhomemaker
9 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I really don't understand the pressure on Harry to formally announce his orientation, whatever it may be. I thought we were living in a bold new world now where we don't need to put a label on our sexuality? Especially when we're young and figuring what it is we're into and what we want from life? And coming out has its problems, especially admitting being bi. Many bi people have said that afterwards, they were constantly getting policed by those around them, having it pointed out that despite claiming to be bi, they'd made nothing but straight choices, so they must be faking for attention and because being bi is trendy now. I have a bi friend who says that when he tries to make a connection with women, he just tells them he's straight (he did this with me too) and brings up the bi part later on when he feels they'll understand because he's frequently had women get weirded out when presented with bi men and some of them lose interest immediately when they find out. Undoubtedly for men, being bi can be difficult because so many people think that bi men are just the same as gay men and that calling themselves bi is just to make them more palatable to the straight crowd and that it's just a cover for coming out as gay further down the line. So, for a man to come out as bi can be a minefield.

The bold new world that you described is all wish for, but… it doesn’t exist. Gay people are ashamed, scared, marginalized, converted, not seen as equal as straight people. The word “Gay” is still scary, still used as degrading, and thats why it is important for us to own the word to own who we are, turn it into proudness, and being good with ourselves. You said it yourself, you talked about your friend and fears and his interaction with people..you talk about shame, cause its still considered shameful to have sex with men when you are a man, we can’t just grab the hand of our partner everywhere, we check any room we enter. Gay men can’t hide it, they recognize us, we look exactly like any men, but still you can mostly recognize us in a crowd, we just can’t take off the gay out of us, its not a costume. If the bold word you said existed we wouldn’t need pride, we wouldn’t be murdered or imprisoned, we wouldn’t need to say anything to our parents, or friends, or answer questions, acting like labels don't matters is closing your eyes on this, its saying that it doesn’t apply to you. Do you know the freedom it is for some of us to just look at a guy and admitting the feelings you have and being okay with it ? some have that chance naturally, for others they don’t, if you don’t agree with you are either way in a wonderful place or just close your eyes on many issues people go through their lives, the world doesn’t stop at the borders of occidental countries. 

9 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

And at the end of the day, not everyone feels comfortable talking about their sexuality publicly. They don't like how the world starts looking at you differently and would rather live a drama-free life free of judgement and only like their nearest and dearest to know. I'm bi-curious myself but because I ultimately see myself as straight and I couldn't see myself pursuing things fully with women, I see no need to tell anyone unless I feel they'd 100% get it. Just let people do what's right for them. Harry's clearly a massive supporter of the gays and challenges gender norms, that should be enough. I don't get why you need to know an artist's sexuality to know how much you can like them or if you should like them at all. I also don't know how Harry coming out would benefit his fans. It's highly unlikely he'd ever get with you, celebrities tend to date other celebrities, so how does it affect you?

You speak again about shame and internal shame, that’s exactly the issue. And don’t say that our interest about harry is to **** him, we are talking about respect, about him going on scene waving the rainbow flag, putting on a skirt on magazine then coming back as the next door boy when it benefits him. His fans deserves the truth about who he is, we want clearness on what he is playing with, and once again let’s not pretend that he doesn’t have a sexual image and keep feeding the medias about his sexuality, he knows how to bring attention, he knows that it makes people talk and obviously it works well for his career. Now forcing a sexuality or someone to come out will never be something i support, there we can see that he knows exactly how to play with the mystery tho. 
So to say that we pressure him to date him..no, some of us needs to feel respected, especially when we are supporting him and yes some needs to hear that we don’t have to be evasive or to hide, we need to see that being associated to us is not shameful or edgy. That the word “gay” is wearable. Cause putting the rainbow on you but refusing the name of it is basically taking all the beautiful of the community and letting all the ugly, twisted, sad, and dark part of it. 

StrawberryBlond
1 hour ago, BBhomemaker said:

The bold new world that you described is all wish for, but… it doesn’t exist. Gay people are ashamed, scared, marginalized, converted, not seen as equal as straight people. The word “Gay” is still scary, still used as degrading, and thats why it is important for us to own the word to own who we are, turn it into proudness, and being good with ourselves. You said it yourself, you talked about your friend and fears and his interaction with people..you talk about shame, cause its still considered shameful to have sex with men when you are a man, we can’t just grab the hand of our partner everywhere, we check any room we enter. Gay men can’t hide it, they recognize us, we look exactly like any men, but still you can mostly recognize us in a crowd, we just can’t take off the gay out of us, its not a costume. If the bold word you said existed we wouldn’t need pride, we wouldn’t be murdered or imprisoned, we wouldn’t need to say anything to our parents, or friends, or answer questions, acting like labels don't matters is closing your eyes on this, its saying that it doesn’t apply to you. Do you know the freedom it is for some of us to just look at a guy and admitting the feelings you have and being okay with it ? some have that chance naturally, for others they don’t, if you don’t agree with you are either way in a wonderful place or just close your eyes on many issues people go through their lives, the world doesn’t stop at the borders of occidental countries. 

You speak again about shame and internal shame, that’s exactly the issue. And don’t say that our interest about harry is to **** him, we are talking about respect, about him going on scene waving the rainbow flag, putting on a skirt on magazine then coming back as the next door boy when it benefits him. His fans deserves the truth about who he are, we want clearness on what he is playing with, and once again let’s not pretend that he doesn’t have a sexual image and keep feeding the medias about his sexuality, he knows how to bring attention, he knows that it makes people talk and obviously it works well for his career. Now forcing a sexuality or someone to come out will never be something i support, there we can see that he knows exactly how to play with the mystery tho. 
So to say that we pressure him to date him..no, some of us needs to feel respected, especially when we are supporting him and yes some needs to hear that we don’t have to be evasive or to hide, we need to see that being associated to us is not shameful or edgy. That the word “gay” is wearable. Cause putting the rainbow on you but refusing the name of it is basically taking all the beautiful of the community and letting all the ugly, twisted, sad, and dark part of it. 

That's precisely my point as why some of them don't want to be super open about it. Some also don't think they owe it to anyone to be an open book regarding any area of their private lives. Some are also still pondering what orientation they truly are. I'm not saying we shouldn't have labels, just that we shouldn't feel under pressure to use them. Being forced to be open about something you're not comfortable with is a recipe for disaster.

I don't think Harry is being disrespectful to any community by not saying that he's a member of it. We don't put pressure on anyone to state where their loyalties lie in any other aspect of life. I'm not saying he's straight, but it is common now more than ever for straight men to have long hair, wear make-up, wear more feminine clothes, etc. and it's regressive to act like having these factors means you can't be straight. We can't separate fashion choices into straight or gay, it's aboutt self-expression. Straight men are able to be sensitive, flamboyant, elegant, self-expression and sexual orientation aren't connected. Point is, we need to stop thinking that making certain choices can only have one conclusion. Humans are much more complex than that. There's loads of LGBT celebrities, it's not like Harry would be breaking the mould by coming out. And I've never seen any evidence that being overt about the mere existence of LGBT people alone increases understanding of them. One of the most famous and iconic gay singers of all time was Freddie Mercury and even being as successful as he was wasn't enough to make people less homophobic. Homophobes cannot change unless they want to. For a truly unrepentant homophobe, their favourite singer coming out would not cause them to think that maybe not all gay people are bad. They would probably abandon that singer and never listen to them again. Teaching about acceptance can bring about change but the mere act of coming out just informs people about who you find attractive, but that's pretty much it. That's what I mean when I say that whether someone comes out or not doesn't affect us personally. It's also not like Harry has a bunch of homophobe fans who would cause his career to fail if they stopped being fans. Everyone who's interested in his music will be aware very early that he portrays an image that isn't always common for a straight man, has somewhat of a feminine edge and is a bit camp. If they view that as unacceptable, they'll tap out quickly. Homophobes don't have time for anyone they perceive as gay, so it's hardly like Harry is still profiting off their money as homophobes would have written him off as gay long ago and refused to listen to him on principle.

Archived