Flop or Pop  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Expired or Inspired?

• Expired
    • Inspired

Featured Posts

degenerate

Yes it's been that long. 

I'd encourage a listen revisit to this song. Her (arguably) most successful record--period. Made an unparalleled impact on the next generation of pop. 

What is your value of this song, and do you think it matches with the overall impact of it? How gay do you get within the first 10 seconds of the RedOne synths?

The video, in case anyone has forgotten, is quintessential Gaga.

Andrew Shaw

Poker Face will forever be iconic not only as a Gaga song, but a pop song period and I believe will stand the test of time as one of the most iconic songs not only of the 2000’s decade, but the early 2000’s century (yes, it’s that iconic). Everything from the vocals, the song-writing and the production is incredible, ground-breaking and unique and it was a huge moment in pop culture. It will forever not only be my favourite Gaga song, but my favourite song period. 

waterfall

jumpstarted her whole career... a legendary song... inspired the "just dance" game to copy wbk

I agree it was a game changer for 3 reasons: (1) it was a huge single, (2) it popularized dance pop, and (3) it’s double entendre lyrics about bisexuality.

HOWEVER… I do think it sounds VERY 2008. The same way Katy Perry’s I Kissed a Girl or I Got A Feeling by the Black Eyed Peas sound so 2008/2009. Maybe those songs we’re just SO big that they’ll forever be tied down to a moment in the past? Don’t get me wrong, I love the song, I just don’t think it sounds fresh. It is iconic though, so some new pop girl will prob sample it in 2030 lol. 

Ricardo

the song that made me a fan, I still listen to it and get chills 

I'll love this song for ever

DontCallMeAlice
11 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

the song that made me a fan, I still listen to it and get chills 

I'll love this song for ever

Same here. I remember watching the MV for the first time and being completely blown away. I was 8 years old. The first time I saw her perform it on TV was also, let me say, quite a moment for me. 

Quasi

The song and video that made me stan all the way back in 2008 before I knew what a stan even was. I play the intro over and over again sometimes just to feel that rush of listening to a pop song that changed not only her life but millions of others. To this day, everything about it remains fresh and groundbreaking, I remember when I thought it could never play on the radio because it was such a different sound than anything else that was on at the time. Lo and behold it changed the pop music industry forever. There’s that saying “before and after Gaga”, but I also believe that pop music can be divided into “before and after Poker Face”. 

I don't understand pineapples, so I don't eat bananas.

Enigma

This is what every pop song should sound like. The iconic intro. The rap-ish breakdown. The chorus. 

It’s a ****ing masterpiece and it shits on everything that has hit the radio since 2014. 

LoLaA

Poker Face never gets old to me. When this song is played on radio, or it is played from my Spotify, the volume goes up, no matter what my neighbours are thinking. I sing out loud, dance to it, this song is so iconic and will be played forever. :rockstar:

Always be kind to others, you may need them once

Bella Goth

ever u cried to this song? because i do. had a super bad week after week, its just pressure after pressure and this song came and said "just dance, it's gonna be okay" my eyes just watered and crying and the good thing is i feel better. adn all i wanna say is thank you lady gaga

Still undeniably that bitch. I remember watching her perform Just Dance on So You Think You Can Dance, as like an 8/9 year old and being floored, but then Poker Face is what really exploded my little kid mind. (And then, of course, the unbelievable singles run from 2008-2011 left me stunned at how one artist could pump out so many earworm bangers at such a rapidfire pace)

for a while, I thought PF did begin to sound dated (particularly in late 2010s, like 2016-2019), but I actually feel like it sounds fresh again? There are some elements of its production that still sound a bit old, but for the most part, I could see this being released today and not sounding out of place. 

A Very Gaga Holida
1 hour ago, Bella Goth said:

ever u cried to this song? because i do. had a super bad week after week, its just pressure after pressure and this song came and said "just dance, it's gonna be okay" my eyes just watered and crying and the good thing is i feel better. adn all i wanna say is thank you lady gaga

It's Poker Face not Just Dance:selena:

monketsharona

Still so so fresh and catchy 

She wasn't joking when she started her career with The Fame. She was here to stay.

Archived