Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
press

Dawn of Chromatica: Reviews Thread

Anveeroy

Featured Posts

dynamite
5 minutes ago, salty like sodium said:

but that makes no sense since you need to like something to think it's good ... As @Bleachellasaid I've never heard a critic say "These lyrics don't speak to me personally but damn these are well written". 

I don't think that's always true. I can't stand, for example Bohemian Rhapsody, not because it's a bad song, but because it's not to my taste at all. But I still recognise that it's a great, iconic song. The same way that I don't like women but can recognise a beautiful one...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wet Fire
14 hours ago, salty like sodium said:

isn't the whole point of critics for them to express bias tho lmao. like every album is a 10 in someone's eye, otherwise they wouldn't sell.

That's the whole point of critics but that's not the point here. If I don't like apples my "critique" of a new apple tree has no merit because I'm obstinately obsessed with not liking apples...EVER. I might not even give the new apple tree a chance and just rush to my laptop to note down my criticism. That's what I'm pointing out. My wording could have been better.

salty like sodium
3 hours ago, Wet Fire said:

That's the whole point of critics but that's not the point here. If I don't like apples my "critique" of a new apple tree has no merit because I'm obstinately obsessed with not liking apples...EVER. I might not even give the new apple tree a chance and just rush to my laptop to note down my criticism. That's what I'm pointing out. My wording could have been better.

Sure but like I said in a later post in this thread that's why there are several critics, because then the final score is representative of the GP. If only stans reviewed albums every album would have a 100 metascore ... haha

Wet Fire
6 hours ago, salty like sodium said:

Sure but like I said in a later post in this thread that's why there are several critics, because then the final score is representative of the GP. If only stans reviewed albums every album would have a 100 metascore ... haha

I don't think such induction really works here. Critics' score do not always translate into proper representation of the GP. That's why there are users' score apart from the critics' acore in several media outlets.

salty like sodium
33 minutes ago, Wet Fire said:

I don't think such induction really works here. Critics' score do not always translate into proper representation of the GP. That's why there are users' score apart from the critics' acore in several media outlets.

It will be as representative as statistics and surveys (that pool from 1000 people usually for millions of constituents haha) are ... And user scores don't really mean that much more either tbh since I doubt many metal fans will take the time to review Chromatica ...

Jennie Kim

Pitchfork gives 6.7

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/lady-gaga-dawn-of-chromatica/

It was a tragedy that Lady Gaga’s Chromatica—an album made not just for dancing in the middle of a sweaty, crowded room, but for engaging in communal healing—was released at a moment when it could only be enjoyed in isolation. The timing of Dawn of Chromatica, then, feels less like a tragedy than a cruel joke: a full-throttle remix album with contributions from an all-star roster of pop freaks, unleashed in the world just as a brief and blissful reprieve from pandemic anxiety is replaced by a renewed sense of uncertainty.

If there’s a silver lining, it’s that Dawn of Chromatica is less a wall-to-wall collection of club bangers than an expansion of the Chromatica cinematic universe: new characters, new sounds, new memes approved and distributed by the Supreme Leader. It’s a welcome excuse to revisit an album that’s galvanized and brought together so many queer people in the year since its release. And thanks to its unusual degree of coherence and flow, it’s a project you can enjoy from the comfort of your own home without feeling a crippling sense of FOMO.

Part of what made the original Chromatica so satisfying was its excavation of ’90s house music. It was consistent and relentless in a way that other Gaga albums—even Joanne, with its pink cowboy hat and committed country drag—never quite managed. The most memorable revisions on Dawn of Chromatica create new links to other standout moments in the Gaga discography. The wailing riffs and drum fills plugged into Rina Sawayama and Clarence Clarity’s take on “Free Woman” place it squarely in the Born This Way ecosystem, and Dorian Electra’s trashy remix of “Replay” pushes the leather-and-metal energy even further into the red.

tyler k
30 minutes ago, Jennie Kim said:

Pitchfork gives 6.7

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/lady-gaga-dawn-of-chromatica/

It was a tragedy that Lady Gaga’s Chromatica—an album made not just for dancing in the middle of a sweaty, crowded room, but for engaging in communal healing—was released at a moment when it could only be enjoyed in isolation. The timing of Dawn of Chromatica, then, feels less like a tragedy than a cruel joke: a full-throttle remix album with contributions from an all-star roster of pop freaks, unleashed in the world just as a brief and blissful reprieve from pandemic anxiety is replaced by a renewed sense of uncertainty.

If there’s a silver lining, it’s that Dawn of Chromatica is less a wall-to-wall collection of club bangers than an expansion of the Chromatica cinematic universe: new characters, new sounds, new memes approved and distributed by the Supreme Leader. It’s a welcome excuse to revisit an album that’s galvanized and brought together so many queer people in the year since its release. And thanks to its unusual degree of coherence and flow, it’s a project you can enjoy from the comfort of your own home without feeling a crippling sense of FOMO.

Part of what made the original Chromatica so satisfying was its excavation of ’90s house music. It was consistent and relentless in a way that other Gaga albums—even Joanne, with its pink cowboy hat and committed country drag—never quite managed. The most memorable revisions on Dawn of Chromatica create new links to other standout moments in the Gaga discography. The wailing riffs and drum fills plugged into Rina Sawayama and Clarence Clarity’s take on “Free Woman” place it squarely in the Born This Way ecosystem, and Dorian Electra’s trashy remix of “Replay” pushes the leather-and-metal energy even further into the red.

the whole interview is so positive that it feels like it should at least have a 7.2 or something

mmmy name ~isn't~ aliceee

Roseblud Kisses
1 hour ago, tmo13 said:

the whole interview is so positive that it feels like it should at least have a 7.2 or something

I know right? The score and the review don’t match up at all. Like if you just read the review without knowing the score you would assume they had given it a 7.7, or maybe even something in the low 8.0s :mark:

Skinni Pussi ConfirmedT

Hyperobject
1 hour ago, tmo13 said:

it’s because review is written by one particular critic and score is given by whole pitchfork crew as I remember 

CyanDante
20 minutes ago, SkinniPussi said:

I know right? The score and the review don’t match up at all. Like if you just read the review without knowing the score you would assume they had given it a 7.7, or maybe even something in the low 8.0s :mark:

Yeah it's such a glowing review of Gaga and all the collaborations, especially how it underlines the fact that Gaga is reaching her legendary status  :queenga: and is creating a platform in bringing together this varied group of queer artists, further pushing boundaries both in her music and her career. :diane:

I'm not very good with Social Mediaᵀᴹ

StarstruckIllusion
51 minutes ago, Aussie said:

So metacritic still doesn’t have any reviews ?

is there even a metacritic page for the album yet 

James Gibson
57 minutes ago, Aussie said:

So metacritic still doesn’t have any reviews ?

I think it only opens when it has 4 reviews counted for the site

James Gibson
1 hour ago, Ororo Munroe said:

it’s because review is written by one particular critic and score is given by whole pitchfork crew as I remember 

Ikr, same thing happened with Chromafica and BTW Reimagined score. The actual review is always much more positive

Archived