💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

celeb

Gwen Stefani defends herself against longtime cultural appropriation claims

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

Emvee

I absolutely cannot speak on the Harajuku thing, but I LOVE Luxurious and the music video. So nostalgic. Mid-2000’s seems like it was just yesterday but also so long ago at the same time. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RainingOnMe
19 minutes ago, Bio said:

Here comes the ignorant people who have no idea about anyone's life and say stuff they know nothing about 

Go touch some grass. :bear:

Bio
1 minute ago, ProfessionalClown said:

If I’m looking correctly, Angela was I think the codirector at the time of when they would’ve done the video. Im not saying that doesn’t mean she’s not the authority but that means No Doubt could’ve gotten opinions from those either in the program itself, affiliated with the program, sponsored the program, or were enrolled in the program. Not to mention they also talked with multiple OTHER sources. 

either way, being Mexican and Native American myself am I not allowed an opinion either or is yours just fact? :triggered:

Is this not an opinion board and are you not giving your opinion? Weren’t you the one who quoted me saying I was annoying and knew nothing about Gwen Stefani? :yennefer:

ProfessionalClown
Just now, ChicaSkas said:

easy guys, settle down... please <3 

Love ya, this is my last comment for the thread :vegas:

JusKeepBreathin
17 minutes ago, ProfessionalClown said:

Gwen is the epitome of cultural APPRECIATION. As a Mexican growing up in Yuma Arizona, 3 hours from San Diego/SoCal and going to places like LA and Anaheim basically every other month, the Chicano scene and especially the cholo/chola culture and fashion were very very prevalent. I grew up around that. That is stuff I know about and stuff I even had in my own fashion for years.

Her video for Luxurious was something that made my mom, who was a Gwen fan, emotional because usually you only see people who dress like that that in bad light as drug dealers or gangsters. She showed the love for the culture and the way it means a LOT to people in the video as she grew up around it. Hell Gwen probably knows more about Chicano culture than most Mexicans do today. She also grew up around that being from that area.

It’s ridiculous to see people who wanna say sh*t to her when she has proven time and time again she gets all her information and blessing from the people she’s taking inspiration from. Not to mention her bringing harajuku fashion to the western market was a HUGE thing that Japan fans and even the GA actually applauded her for. She had massive fans in Japan who encouraged her to do that and that’s why she continued doing it for as long as she did.

You're mom's taste level is exquisite. Luxurious is one of her best songs and videos. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Bio
1 minute ago, RainingOnMe said:

Go touch some grass. :bear:

Good evening to you too babe :diane:

ChicaSkas
Just now, Bio said:

Is this not an opinion board and are you not giving your opinion? Weren’t you the one who quoted me saying I was annoying and knew nothing about Gwen Stefani? :yennefer:

easy <3 Please be nice to each other. I know it's easy to throw around words like colonialism and cultural appropriation. I know that I may not have much of a leg to stand on because I myself am a white woman.

But please know that part of my job is to moderate, and I want to gently remind you all to be respectful please. 

And we should try to go easy on Gwen, even in her well intentioned cluelessness. 

Do YOU own the 4' by 6' Perfect Illusion promo Poster? Will pay you for it. Pic: http://i.imgur.com/UWuzumk

ChicaSkas
2 minutes ago, ProfessionalClown said:

Love ya, this is my last comment for the thread :vegas:

doesn't have to be. I'm just calming everyone where i can

Do YOU own the 4' by 6' Perfect Illusion promo Poster? Will pay you for it. Pic: http://i.imgur.com/UWuzumk

ProfessionalClown
2 minutes ago, ChicaSkas said:

doesn't have to be. I'm just calming everyone where i can

I meant for the night kms :lana:

thanks 💕💕💕

ChicaSkas
Just now, ProfessionalClown said:

I meant for the night kms :lana:

thanks 💕💕💕

massive taste on the Lux video. I love that one. 

HotLikeMexico

GGD confuses me sometimes. If it was someone else y’all would’ve ended her. But because its someone y’all love, it’s appreciation.

Franch Toast
54 minutes ago, Robo Ga said:

What happened with this? I never saw the video 

She/Her/Hers

Franch Toast
Just now, Werk said:

Weren't the Harajuku Girls paid to be silent? @Franch Toast

I don't know for sure, but it's a rumor that they either signed a contract to remain silent in public or only to speak Japanese in public. I don't know if it's fact though. (Interestingly one of them, Jenny Kita, grew up in California and hadn't even been to Japan until she went on tour with Gwen; I don't know if she even speaks Japanese.) 

I think by now though that if any of them had anything truly bad to say they would've said it or refused to keep working with her. They still interact with her on social media. I remember reading somewhere that one of them even said she appreciated the visibility that Gwen was giving to Asians. 

She/Her/Hers

Lady Palutena
17 minutes ago, Franch Toast said:

Oh wow, I haven't seen it for years but it's just as bad as I remember it... I want to know who gave the OK on this concept? Because it should have been axed at the storyboard stage... :smh:

0Sd8sfg.png

Adoremus in caelum, Palutena. Dea luminis.

Archived