💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

question

Why is ARTPOP suddenly so loved?

Debithius

Featured Posts

Debithius

I remember when ARTPOP came out, critics were tearing it to shreds and it didn't help that the industry pinned ARTPOP against PRISM and Bangerz. This era was filled with 98% controversy and hate towards Gaga at the time. However as of late, I would say after 2016 - 2017, people seemed to suddenly love ARTPOP and began to consider it her best album. Why? What changed?

I definitely think that this era was....a huge chaotic and painful mess but I still loved it to pieces.

I think because it faced such harsh reception that people have developed this positive bond to it, sort of defensive, sort of justice for being dragged so much back then. Just my opinion lol also I've met people who didn't even know the album existed so :air: perhaps new discovery too

Gagaism

Because the legacy of a real piece of art is only appreciated with time by most people :whitney:

Better late than never :bear:

chromatic puzea

why is there a thread on ARTPOP's hate/love literally every week?

🏳️‍🌈 arriba españa 🇪🇸

I think it takes a good 5-10 years to really look back at an album/era and see what really came out of it. ARTPOP is odd because from recollection it seemed super messy and sad at the time, especially since the lack of music videos and knowing it didn’t go how she planned. But when you think about the tour and how successful that was it kind of changes my perspective. Gaga seemed super happy performing that tour and was actually the last tour she finished. I think Joanne happened because of how turbulent her experience with rolling out ARTPOP but I almost would have expected that after BTW and how that era ended in an injury. 

I feel it's a mixture of different things; nostalgia may take a big place on this, as we tend to remember things from the past in a more beautiful-pretty way as they really happened. I actually love ARTPOP, as it's my favourite album ever, but I believe it has grown on me even more since its realease, so that's another reason why people may be enjoying the album nowadays more than they did back in 2013. Also it might be because back in the day was "cool" or "trendy" to hate on it. ARTPOP is nowere near to being a bad album, but years ago it was just cool to hate on it. As time goes by, people just start to realise that is actually a really great piece of art, so there's that. 

Haters also just get bored. It amazes me how many people on the internet and even on GGD have been loving Joanne recently, even saying that it's Gaga's best album ever. Back in 2016 that album recieved so much criticism that I think it kinda shadowed any positive comment about it, making it seem like no one cared about that album, wich was not true. 

I believe Chromatica will have the same evolution. In the next few years people will stop bashing it and suddenly there'll be many great comments about it, following the path of previous albums like ARTPOP or Joanne, all of them really "fandom divider" eras.

could mean anything

ThisGuyTony

“Was Lady Gaga’s ARTPOP Better Than You Remember?” - Frieze, 2019 article

“In Defense of Lady Gaga’s ARTPOP” - Paper, 2019 article

“‘ARTPOP’ Is Good, Actually“ - Vice, 2020 article

Because the main reason why it was so hated was because it came out in the middle of the Gaga hate train. She was overexposed, people were tired of her and she became an easy punching bag.

Removed from its context people are able to appreciate how good the album is. People who dismissed it are rediscovering it detached from the horrible backlash it received, and new listeners are able to listen to it free of bias and expectations.

Also the current wave of poptimism and Gaga’s career rehabilitation have made people look fondly at her career peak and the 2009-2013 EDM domination. ARTPOP was and still is the Gaggiest Gaga album to ever Gag (:enigma:), so what at the time was a reminder of what people perceived as try-hard and obnoxious now represents everything that once made Gaga fun and exciting.

Debithius
23 minutes ago, chromatic puzea said:

why is there a thread on ARTPOP's hate/love literally every week?

Welcome to the site. I see you are new here.

I personally loved ARTPOP since release/leakes. You are right. It was so bashed by outside of the community and even inside. I see little hate for it now? Like I never understand the shift. I've always loved it. 

Archived