question

Brad Pitt didn’t get hate for wearing a dress, why?

Kimmo

Featured Posts

River
6 minutes ago, Daredevil said:

there wasn't a culture war back then 

25 minutes ago, AlexanderMagno said:

Because in the 90s everything we did was a joke. Nowadays, everything we do is a statement.

pretty much false :laughga:

The beginning of prides idea started at the 80s-90s, the LGBTQ+ fight got a big boost at the 90s, transgender started to go out of the closet, drag queens shows little by little became mainstream, it's not like one day in 2010 pop artists sang pro-LGBTQ+ songs and there was gay marriage, there is history for that, they just gave the last boost.

cultural wars always exited, it's not unique to our present or to gen z and late millennials  :spin:

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta

Maybe because people back then weren't bombarded with information 24/7. Maybe some saw this as a fashion statement as a result more than a desire to open a discussion about what masculinity means. What is a woman, what is a man, what is gender, what pronouns u should use, and so on and so forth with new generation being offended by everything, there are two extremes, those who get offended to feel morally higher than others and the others who get offended because they r conservative. In the 90s, 00s, nobody gave a ****

Teletubby
12 minutes ago, Justin Drew Bieber said:

Idk but Harry looks better

look at this

EoNGHe-XcAU-Fim.jpg

BornAsUnic0rn

It’s just a sign of the times. Back then a “man in a dress” was able to be a punchline..

so more conservative people were able to look at this and not take it too seriously. while the people who it was a statement for were able to appreciate it and feel validated/represented. Think about “Dude Looks Like A Lady” being a hit and Freddie Mercury and the rest of Queen cross dressing in “I Want To Break Free” in the 80s.

Because today making a political or social statement and making a joke at the same time don’t really go together. it worked back then. That sh*t (sadly) would not fly today.

Also.. the Harry vogue cover takes a rather serious approach to the “man in a dress” trope, making it clear that this is no joking matter.. that also changes things..

Blastertoyo
1 hour ago, AlexanderMagno said:

Because in the 90s everything we did was a joke. Nowadays, everything we do is a statement.

It’s not the first time Harry did it though. Harry is obviously consistently making a statement and people just sensationalized the Vogue shoot since it’s the first time a dress was worn by not a woman on a vogue cover. Brad’s situation was different since it was on Rolling Stone and he’s presenting very rockstar and masculine 

much like Kurt Cobain did

356280.jpg

4606.jpg?width=605&quality=45&auto=forma

Dec 2019 for the Guardian 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/dec/14/harry-styles-sexual-ambiguity-dating-normals-rocking-a-dress

please enlighten me to death

Economy

Probably cuz Brad Pitt is very "masculine" and most people don't question his sexuality just because he wore a dress and might even see it just as a joke

Harry being more feminine it's more likely to be seen as the legitimate him and so people criticize

I think it's as simple as that tbh

Economy
1 hour ago, KanyeWest said:

Maybe because people back then weren't bombarded with information 24/7. Maybe some saw this as a fashion statement as a result more than a desire to open a discussion about what masculinity means. What is a woman, what is a man, what is gender, what pronouns u should use, and so on and so forth with new generation being offended by everything, there are two extremes, those who get offended to feel morally higher than others and the others who get offended because they r conservative. In the 90s, 00s, nobody gave a ****

Society does seem to love extremes and I don't get why. Why is a sound middle ground such a disliked concept?

Ppl always gotta create this hardcore mob thinking and purity tests that ur either one side or the other :toofunny:

There's the ppl with the old fashioned conservative and intolerant thinking and then there's the extreme PC warriors that meltdown at every tiny little thing and nit pick at it all so they can act woke and morally superior and tbh I question what matters more to them, social justice, or the thrill of arguing and appearing woke :triggered:

I don't particularly think highly of either side tbh :emma:

Taylucifer

because he actually looked hot:ohwell:

Spoiler

sorry Harry but that dress is not it:awkney:

The Tortured Poets Department is out NOW

Auther

He had / has muscle mass which is seen as masculine, inarguably, by society. This is just a 'funny' thing he did, so it was disregarded as that. It didn't raise questions on gender roles because the gender role was never up for debate because of that prequalifying attribute.

Archived