Grammy CEO speaks on The Weeknd omission, explains their process

Bradley

Featured Posts

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mister G
3 minutes ago, RichAssPiss said:

Not even. A popularity contest requires you to garner the favor of the entire voting body. In this instance, you need to just get support from a few people on a committee. Anecdotally, stories have leaked about all types of committee conflicts of interest. You end up with an album in Album of the Year that couldn't even get into its genre category where there is less competition. The major awards don't reflect what is popular with voters. Just a few secret hands in the mix. 

Ahh yes I remember there being a thread on here many moons about whistleblowers on the Grammy's and the level of preferential treatment some committee members showed.

Sandrology

This is B*lls*it! 

Shape of you won over Million Reasons. So don't even get me started about Grammys saying "Musical aspects and not the Charts."

Blinding Lights and a lot of After Hours is well written and produced while beeing sucessful. Make it make sense...

holy scheisse

Bullsh*t. So they are the musical experts and deny the power and impact this album has had on all the musical plebs around the world? Elitism born from racism at its finest:vegas:

Lion Heart

When I see Bieber nominated for "Yummy" I know their explanations are bullshit. 

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

MonsterofFame

NO NOMS?!

When I first saw this, I was thinking he was under-nominated. But receiving not ONE is just flat out wrong and shows flaws in the nomination process that need to be fixed.

Adrenaliner

How can you seriously say that Yummy by Justin Bieber is more of an excellent song than the visionary masterpiece Blinding Lights?

Makes 0 sense to me

Demoncore

Reminds me of this year’s Grammys when Tyler won “best rap album” for Igor when... it was a pop album. He distinctly said it’s pop and after accepting his award he called out Grammys for effin over black artists out of any category that wasn’t “rap” or “urban”.

Feels bad that The Weeknd wasn’t even nominated as this had been a tremendous year for him and his music. It feels bad seeing all these black artists who experiment with their music only get doled out those two categories meanwhile white artists can be lumped into any category with their music. 

Nosferatu

Their narrative is always changing. When Beck won over Beyoncé, sales/popularity didn't matter, it was all about the "quality". When Taylor won over Kendrick, for some reason popularity suddenly was a deciding factor again. They could just admit their system is broken and at least make some empty promises on improving it, but they rather act like the "Am I out of touch?" meme, so whatever.

tumblr_pqo88me05G1sxptds_500.gifv

The Grammys have the same prob as the Oscars. If they want to keep their title as "the most prestigious award in xyz" then keep up with the culture.  They don't have to be a slave to the popular but wake the eff up. Recognize the generational bias, rectify the conflict of interest favoritism and open up membership to younger, more diverse experts with fresher ears and forward thinking. Stg if I see another old white man with gray hair in a 70s do coming on stage as head of these Academies :dom:

Basically....

NYT:https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/24/arts/music/snubs-surprises-grammy-awards.html

BEN SISARIO Conservatism at the Grammys used to mean that the big categories were lifetime achievement proxies, like when Ray Charles won five awards in 2005, a year after his death (and 18 years after he received the actual lifetime achievement award).

Now, the Grammys often seem to save a few slots to recognize old-sounding music by youngs, especially for the kind of thing that the word “hit” does not apply to. Two years ago, such a spot was held by Brandi Carlile. This time around, it belongs to Black Pumas, whose song “Colors” sounds like a perfectly adequate rock-soul nugget from 1973.

These choices always draw eye rolls among journalists, who (with good reason) want the Grammys to reflect the pulse of contemporary music. What they really are is an assertion of values by the Grammy deep state, communicating to the rest of the industry that whatever wacky trends may come along, an unchanging bedrock of “classic” songwriting, rooted in the rock, soul and folk of the 1960s and ’70s, will always be treasured and rewarded … at least by the people who hold the keys to the Grammy nomination process. "

"She's an intellectual, your honor"

TimisaMonster

Yet they nominated Yummy and that's EXCELLENCE??? :flop:

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

Archived