Jump to content

🐍 Official visual for Dorian Electra's remix of "Replay" 🐍

celeb

Olivia Newton-John agrees that her song "Physical" is better than Dua's


Featured Posts

I’m pretty sure Dua will agree con Olivia, 80s Physical is a classic that is almost 40 years old and we keep talking about it, Dua’s will be forgotten by next year. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • brizoda

    11

  • Lord Temptation

    5

  • Mesmer92

    2

  • Robo Ga

    2

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One song is iconic, the other is named after an iconic song 

LOL the "Who" comments incoming. Olivia Newton John is an icon and she wasn't even rude about it.

"I love her though, she's great" Do you agree?      

NFRatwell
31 minutes ago, brizoda said:

When I say Republican era sound, I'm refering to the music during the Reagan era, music in general bevcame more conservative, and full of guitars

Olivia's Newton-John's Physical has an electronic sound more subdued than electronic songs of the era in Europe, it has a kind of production of the start of the 80s that is only from US

USA never has liked very much electronic music (synthpop, house, techno, trance, EDM, etc) and because of this they dilute the electronic sounds and in more cases during the start of the80s they added guitars

 

During the 80s America added more guitars to their popular music? Compared to? The 30s? girl

  • LMAO 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
brizoda
3 minutes ago, NFRatwell said:

During the 80s America added more guitars to their popular music? Compared to? The 30s? girl

AMerica added guitars to  a lot of electronic songs

Link to post
Share on other sites
Lord Temptation
38 minutes ago, brizoda said:

When I say Republican era sound, I'm refering to the music during the Reagan era, music in general bevcame more conservative, and full of guitars

Olivia's Newton-John's Physical has an electronic sound more subdued than electronic songs of the era in Europe, it has a kind of production of the start of the 80s that is only from US

USA never has liked very much electronic music (synthpop, house, techno, trance, EDM, etc) and because of this they dilute the electronic sounds and in more cases during the start of the80s they added guitars

 

Your argument fails. You’re trying to equate conservatism with lack of experimentalism in music but during the same era of the 80s the UK also had a Conservative as Prime Minister (Lady Thatcher) but there they had a flourishing electronic scene within the New Wave movement. The Human League, Japan, Soft Cell and many others. 

Not only that but these UK electronic acts all had huge success...in the conservative USA! Have you not heard of the Second British Invasion? You claim to know about music history, so I’m surprised you are unaware that how from 1981-1985, over half of the US top ten was by British acts. Many British electronic artists were more successful in the US than they were in Britain! Such as Depeche Mode and Frankie Goes to Hollywood. 

Also, you claim that the US “has never liked electronic music”. Um, disco, house and techno were all invented in the US! Gurl......Now I’m starting to understand why your taste in music is the way it is...

Edited by Lord Temptation
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
brizoda
10 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

Your argument fails. You’re trying to equate conservatism with lack of experimentalism in music but during the same era of the 80s the UK also had a Conservative as Prime Minister (Lady Thatcher) but there they had a flourishing electronic scene within the New Wave movement. The Human League, Japan, Soft Cell and many others. 

Not only that but these UK electronic acts all had huge success...in the conservative USA! Have you not heard of the Second British Invasion? You claim to know about music history, so I’m surprised you are unaware that how from 1981-1985, over half of the US top ten was by British acts. Many British electronic artists were more successful in the US than they were in Britain! Such as Depeche Mode and Frankie Goes to Hollywood. 

Now I’m starting to understand why your taste in music is the way it is...

How many electronic songs (without guitars) of european origin achieved Top-10 in USA, no more than 10

The only Top-10 by Depeche in America was Enjoy The Silence, in Uk they had 15 Top-10s

Frankie Goes To Hollywood : Relax (1 Uk, 10 US), Two Tribes (1 UK, 43 US), The Power Of Love (1 Uk, not charting in the Hot-100 US)

I lived this era, and electronic music in Europe had megasucces in Europe, not only the 2nd british invasión, also a lot of continental european artists and songs had much succes (Italo Disco, Modern Talking, Alphaville, CC Catch, Stock Aitken Waterman productions)

Edited by brizoda
Link to post
Share on other sites
brizoda
20 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

Your argument fails. You’re trying to equate conservatism with lack of experimentalism in music but during the same era of the 80s the UK also had a Conservative as Prime Minister (Lady Thatcher) but there they had a flourishing electronic scene within the New Wave movement. The Human League, Japan, Soft Cell and many others. 

Not only that but these UK electronic acts all had huge success...in the conservative USA! Have you not heard of the Second British Invasion? You claim to know about music history, so I’m surprised you are unaware that how from 1981-1985, over half of the US top ten was by British acts. Many British electronic artists were more successful in the US than they were in Britain! Such as Depeche Mode and Frankie Goes to Hollywood. 

Also, you claim that the US “has never liked electronic music”. Um, disco, house and techno were all invented in the US! Gurl......Now I’m starting to understand why your taste in music is the way it is...

Disco music in the 70s was orchestral, only in the 80s morphed to electronic sounds entirely

House songs that achieved Top-10 in US (Gypsy Woman, Finally & Show me love)

Detroit techno only entered in the Hot-100 with Good Life by Inner City

Edited by brizoda
Link to post
Share on other sites
Lord Temptation
Just now, brizoda said:

How many electronic songs (without guitars) of european origin achieved Top-10 in USA, no more than 10

But absence of guitars does not automatically equate to experimentalism, it’s just a form electronic purism.

Recall that electronic music emerged from Krautrock, a form of rock music, as well as psychedelic rock in the 60s, but antecedents go back even earlier. You can even hear electronic in the Beatles and Beach Boys from the 60s, but at the time electronic was not yet a movement in itself.

If you’re using the criteria of “no guitars” as your sole metric for experimental then you’re talking about the rise of acid house in the mid to late 80s which was all sampling and synths, but acid house was more of an underground house party movement than a studio thing. Most of the new wave artists of the earlier part of the decade that had explored electronic sounds (such as Devo and The Cars) all had backgrounds playing traditional instruments. So embracing electronic sounds did not mean a rejection of traditional instruments, but a synthesis. Hence the name sythpop.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
NFRatwell
20 minutes ago, brizoda said:

How many electronic songs (without guitars) of european origin achieved Top-10 in USA, no more than 10

The only Top-10 by Depeche in America was Enjoy The Silence, in Uk they had 15 Top-10s

Frankie Goes To Hollywood : Relax (1 Uk, 10 US), Two Tribes (1 UK, 43 US), The Power Of Love (1 Uk, not charting in the Hot-100 US)

I lived this era, and electronic music in Europe had megasucces in Europe, not only the 2nd british invasión, also a lot of continental european artists and songs had much succes (Italo Disco, Modern Talking, Alphaville, CC Catch, Stock Aitken Waterman productions)

I just don’t get your argument here? You stated American music in the 80s was generally conservative and full of guitars but what are you comparing it to? Because in America guitars are the opposite of conservatism, they’re symbolic of liberalism and challenging authority (and based off the British based acts I’ve heard from the 80s that’s generally true too). So guitars don’t equate to conservative expression. And even you just said the 80s introduced electronic and electronic fusion into mainstream America. 

There wasn’t a huge American music shift to conservatism in the 80s. In fact the 80s was a huge decade for new genres and diversity since it also saw the emergence of hip hop and rap and tons of other genres. 

Edited by NFRatwell
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
brizoda
1 minute ago, Lord Temptation said:

But absence of guitars does not automatically equate to experimentalism, it’s just a form electronic purism.

Recall that electronic music emerged from Krautrock, a form of rock music, as well as psychedelic rock in the 60s, but antecedents go back even earlier. You can even hear electronic in the Beatles and Beach Boys from the 60s, but at the time electronic was not yet a movement in itself.

If you’re using the criteria of “no guitars” as your sole metric for experimental then you’re talking about the rise of acid house in the mid to late 80s which was all sampling and synths, but acid house was more of an underground house party movement than a studio thing. Most of the new wave artists of the earlier part of the decade that had explored electronic sounds (such as Devo and The Cars) all had backgrounds playing traditional instruments. So embracing electronic sounds did not mean a rejection of traditional instruments, but a synthesis. Hence the name sythpop.

 

My favourite style of music is Acid House, then House Music/Detroit Techno, then another kinds of electronic music

I dont mind if an electronic song is experimental, there is a lot of rock music that is also experimental

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Lord Temptation
2 minutes ago, brizoda said:

Disco music in the 70s was almost non electronic, only in the 80s morphed to electronic sounds

House songs that achieved Top-10 in US (Gypsy Woman, Finally & Show me love)

Detroit techno only entered in the Hot-100 with Good Life by Inner City

I Feel Love by Donna Summer and Giorgio Moroder is from 1977. That disco song is very electronic, and arguably the first house song.

One thing that I will agree is that American radio was never as supportive of house music as American audiences were. For example, Ride on Time by Black Box was the biggest selling single in the UK in 1989. In the US however the song got no coverage at all. Same with Pump Up the Volume by MARRS, which was massive all around the world but did not hit the top 10 in the US. 

So in the late 80s, MTV finally embraced metal and hip hop, after having ignored both genres since that channel’s inception in 1981 in favour of new wave and older acts from the 60s and 70s. And I think that decision is what killed dance and electronic music in America. Occasionally there were crossover hit songs (like Technotronic, Gypsy Woman and Finally) but overall American media decided that dance music was for Europeans only and that American music had to be macho instead. But this was a post Cold War ideology. By 1991 MTV had scrapped hair metal as well because it wasn’t manly enough. The original American house scene in Chicago and techno scene in Detroit died out by the early 90s, as musicians embraced this new American masculinity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
brizoda
5 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

I Feel Love by Donna Summer and Giorgio Moroder is from 1977. That disco song is very electronic, and arguably the first house song.

One thing that I will agree is that American radio was never as supportive of house music as American audiences were. For example, Ride on Time by Black Box was the biggest selling single in the UK in 1989. In the US however the song got no coverage at all. Same with Pump Up the Volume by MARRS, which was massive all around the world but did not hit the top 10 in the US. 

So in the late 80s, MTV finally embraced metal and hip hop, after having ignored both genres since that channel’s inception in 1981 in favour of new wave and older acts from the 60s and 70s. And I think that decision is what killed dance and electronic music in America. Occasionally there were crossover hit songs (like Technotronic, Gypsy Woman and Finally) but overall American media decided that dance music was for Europeans only and that American music had to be macho instead. But this was a post Cold War ideology. By 1991 MTV had scrapped hair metal as well because it wasn’t manly enough. The original American house scene in Chicago and techno scene in Detroit died out by the early 90s, as musicians embraced this new American masculinity.

The Chicago house scene is alive in Chicago, they have one magazine about house and other electronic sounds , but preferently about Chicago House

The magazine is : 5 Magazine,

https://5mag.net/

But its true that house music in Chicago was really creative during the 80s to mid 90s

 

Edited by brizoda
error
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
brizoda
18 minutes ago, NFRatwell said:

I just don’t get your argument here? You stated American music in the 80s was generally conservative and full of guitars but what are you comparing it to? Because in America guitars are the opposite of conservatism, they’re symbolic of liberalism and challenging authority (and based off the British based acts I’ve heard from the 80s that’s generally true too). So guitars don’t equate to conservative expression. And even you just said the 80s introduced electronic and electronic fusion into mainstream America. 

There wasn’t a huge American music shift to conservatism in the 80s. In fact the 80s was a huge decade for new genres and diversity since it also saw the emergence of hip hop and rap and tons of other genres. 

The artists that sold more in the 80s in America according to Wikipedia are: ACDC, Elton John, The Rolling Stones, U2, Madonna, Eagles, Pink Floyd, Whitney Houston, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Michael Jackson, Prince,, Whitney Houston, Rolling Stones, Billy Joel, Phil Collins, Aerosmith

I dont consider ; ACDC, Eagles, , Fleetwood MAc, Queen, Aerosmith very rebellious

Hip hop in the 80s only had 3-5 tops-10 on the Hot-100

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Lord Temptation
14 minutes ago, brizoda said:

The Chicago house scene is alive in Chicago, they have one magazine about house and other electronic sounds , but preferently about Chicago House

The magazine is : 5 Magazine, https://5mag.net/

I love house music but I feel that, as a time and place, the moment’s gone for me. I still enjoy hearing it but it doesn’t move me the way it did when I was younger. I read some famous musician saying that only two genres can be played for life: jazz and heavy metal. Every other genre is only for when you’re young. But I hope i’m wrong and still dancing the night away to acid house when i’m in my 70s and 80s.

As a sound though, as you have shown, it’s still active in it’s hometown. Which is a beautiful thing. It’s kind of amazing that house took over the world briefly in the late 80s and early 90s. I guess the world really united. Makes me sad thinking about how together we used to feel. 

At least occasionally house sparks up now and again. And as house music reaches a mature age (40 years now) and becomes a classic genre, I hope Chicago can use it’s important legacy as the birthplace of house to revitalise it’s economy. House was Chicago’s gift to the world, and the world should repay some of that back.

Edited by Lord Temptation
Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinda fusing my own plugs here because I am for the most part a musical dinosaur and ONJ's Physical IS iconic, but ..... I just listened to both songs and I prefer Dua's.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...