celeb

6ix9ine will not quit using the N-word

KatieJudasGaga4

Featured Posts

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Economy said:

It just seems odd to hate the word for what it is but then keeping it alive tho.

If ur using it on media, music, when talking to ur friends (who again often don't include just your own race) u normalize the word but then some will get pressed if its used even in their new context

I don't use it for the sake of not offending anyone but it does seem contradictory to me

I don't know I don't see what's bizarre about it. It's a word use by african-americans, not even africans, i should say sub-saharan africans. It has history behind it but they reinvented it and took the power back into it into something more positive. They express themselves thru art using the word, I don't think their goal was to normalize it but to express themselves and this is how they talk to each other. Nothing contradictory about it. But then if others want to use it when they are not even part of the brotherhood/squad it's just weird and some are racists so of course they'll be paranoid they have bad intentions. Same thing with the F word. Some in the gay community say it but not in the slur way more in a "joking" way. As someone who's straight why the hell would I say it? Seriously? Who in their right mind would do it? Im not part of their community therefore it's just out of the question to do that. It's very simple and I don't understand why so many people wanna say it, very weird 

15 minutes ago, Economy said:

It's highly offensive to people given the history so hence the discussion

But what I don't get tho is why use it at all then even if ur black. Why keep it alive and promote it in music for example everyone hears or use it casually among friends in a circle which may include white people then get pressed it still gets used?

If something is a slur then no one should use it tbh

Interesting. 

A little off topic but, how do you feel about gays using the F word so casually? 

9 minutes ago, Economy said:

It just seems odd to hate the word for what it is but then keeping it alive tho.

If ur using it on media, music, when talking to ur friends (who again often don't include just your own race) u normalize the word but then some will get pressed if its used even in their new context

I don't use it for the sake of not offending anyone but it does seem contradictory to me

I agree. I don't even use the F-word. I have so many other things to worry about that I don't need/care for having the "power" back from the word. It's always going to be a gross word and I don't want to promote keeping it alive.

codymonster
26 minutes ago, Zeth said:

I'm not at all defending him, but oh my god, I am so sick of hearing even the discussion surrounding this word. For some reason, people are obsessed with it, who can say it, who can't, whether or not it should be in songs, etc. The constant attempts to shame/cancel people over it for Twitter likes when everybody knows many young, non-black individuals are still using it behind closed doors is just tiring.

I mean, it’s pretty simple. If you’re not black, don’t say it. I think that’s pretty fair and easy to follow.

djBuffoon
31 minutes ago, Zeth said:

I'm not at all defending him, but oh my god, I am so sick of hearing even the discussion surrounding this word. For some reason, people are obsessed with it, who can say it, who can't, whether or not it should be in songs, etc. The constant attempts to shame/cancel people over it for Twitter likes when everybody knows many young, non-black individuals are still using it behind closed doors is just tiring.

It might be tiring, but it's one of the most "loaded" words in the English language, so the discussion has to continue.

Economy
3 minutes ago, KanyeWest said:

I don't know I don't see what's bizarre about it. It's a word use by african-americans, not even africans, i should say sub-saharan africans. It has history behind it but they reinvented it and took the power back into it into something more positive. They express themselves thru art using the word, I don't think their goal was to normalize it but to express themselves and this is how they talk to each other. Nothing contradictory about it. But then if others want to use it when they are not even part of the brotherhood/squad it's just weird and some are racists so of course they'll be paranoid they have bad intentions. Same thing with the F word. Some in the gay community say it but not in the slur way more in a "joking" way. As someone who's straight why the hell would I say it? Seriously? Who in their right mind would do it? Im not part of their community therefore it's just out of the question to do that. It's very simple and I don't understand why so many people wanna say it, very weird 

This is part of what I continue to have an issue with. I think the modern movements put way too much emphasis in putting ppl into categories while at the same time trying to preach unity.

While I think it's fine to celebrate different culture backgrounds and acknowledge the struggles some groups still go thru (and yes call out racist behavior and inequality) I don't think constantly segregating people into categories and having different rules for what one group of ppl can say and can't and what one can wear and can't...

To me that's emphasising were not all just human but that race is what defines us

I do understand the argument that because we don't have full equality yet we have to recognize different races yes, but things like this nevertheless I don't think push us into the right direction. Its the kind of thing that going to keep causing division and segregation in the long term

For example there's only 2 white guys at my work (me and one other guy) and if we were to follow the standards from social media that's promoted it would be awkard as f*CK and we couldn't bond properly. Cuz we end up picking up Jamaican slang and stuff (no I don't say the n word tho) and we're all like brothers and it helps that they don't care. But if we were to follow the rules the way ppl are promoting online now instead of being just ppl on lunch break, we'd have to be acting different to follow some racial etiquette and it wouldn't be the same

This excessive categorization and different rules for everyone (according to online progressives) to me is going backwards not thinking forward to putting everyone equally and not making race what defines you

djBuffoon
9 minutes ago, Altair said:

Interesting. 

A little off topic but, how do you feel about gays using the F word so casually? 

You didn't ask me this, but I personally hate it. One of my friends got a shirt with that word emblazoned on it, and my reaction was visibly unamused. :neyde:

Reid LePage
22 minutes ago, Zeth said:

I know well what it means, the disgusting history behind it, and the offense it inflicts. That does not change my opinion that there is too much attention drawn to the word over other real-world issues actually affecting the well-being of people.

The fact that there are actual articles over whether or not 6ix9ine could say it is what I'm referring to. Who cares? He's trash. We been knew.

there's never too much attention drawn to someone whos problematically using a word that goes against the blm movement!

1 minute ago, djBuffoon said:

You didn't ask me this, but I personally hate it. One of my friends got a shirt with that word emblazoned on it, and my reaction was visibly unamused. :neyde:

I feel that! I'm not a fan but I know many gays love to use it nowadays. 

2 minutes ago, Economy said:

This is part of what I continue to have an issue with. I think the modern movements put way too much emphasis in putting ppl into categories while at the same time trying to preach unity.

That's american mentality bcs of the deep racial division going on right now and for more than decades.

3 minutes ago, Economy said:

While I think it's fine to celebrate different culture backgrounds and acknowledge the struggles some groups still go thru (and yes call out racist behavior and inequality) I don't think constantly segregating people into categories and having different rules for what one group of ppl can say and can't and what one can wear and can't...

I agree but the N word is very different bcs it has WEIGHT, POWER, HISTORY in it. If the MINORITY WHO HAS BEEN AND STILL IS TREATED UNFAIRLY takes back the POWER and the HISTORY of the SLUR WORD that has been applied to THEM and no other GROUPS of people into something positive, then i don't see whats the big deal when they don't feel COMFORTABLE when other people use it. You know what I don't understand?? People who insist they need to say the N word. Why?

5 minutes ago, Economy said:

Cuz we end up picking up Jamaican slang and stuff (no I don't say the n word tho) and we're all like brothers and it helps that they don't care. But if we were to follow the rules the way ppl are promoting online now instead of being just ppl on lunch break, we'd have to be acting different to follow some racial etiquette and it wouldn't be the same

I agree. But that's because you guys are in a brotherhood type of mentality, they know you're not racist. There's a way of saying things, the intention behind it, the history behind things it can matter to some people and if it matters to african-americans, then people have to respect it. It's the least they can do after all the crap they go through. Can't people give them a break and RESPECT them? 

littlepotter

If he actually grew up in a black neighborhood and only has black friends and they don't care that he uses the word, i don't see why our opinion matters

chaeri pls

10 minutes ago, codymonster said:

I mean, it’s pretty simple. If you’re not black, don’t say it. I think that’s pretty fair and easy to follow.

Today a Professor of communications at USC was placed on academic leave for saying a Chinese word which sounds similar to the n-word. USC is now offering support to students and faculty who need "assistance" after having heard a white man say a Mandarin word which sounds similar to the n-word.

https://news.yahoo.com/usc-communications-professor-placed-leave-172039179.html

No matter how clear cut, fair, and easy to follow you think this issue is, it's actually a minefield. It's a sensitive and complicated issue, understandably clouded by emotions.

codymonster
2 minutes ago, SKANK said:

Today a Professor of communications at USC was placed on academic leave for saying a Chinese word which sounds similar to the n-word. USC is now offering support to students and faculty who need "assistance" after having heard a white man say a Mandarin word which sounds similar to the n-word.

https://news.yahoo.com/usc-communications-professor-placed-leave-172039179.html

No matter how clear cut, fair, and easy to follow you think this issue is, it's actually a minefield. It's a sensitive and complicated issue, understandably clouded by emotions.

That’s a very unique situation tho. I’m talking about actually using the word when you aren’t black. That is easy; don’t say it.

Archived