Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
achievement

The Cut: Lady Gaga Single Handedly Saved VMA

RAMROD

Featured Posts

Delulu Rogers
2 hours ago, alsemanche said:

She was great and definitely the best performance but let's not ignore Doja, Miley, and the Weeknd. They all killed it.  

Truly reverse Warholian experience from 2013 vmas no? 

Franch Toast

This article isn't insulting other performers. It's not just about the performances. It's also about how she had eight (?) fashion changes and her various outrageous nine (?) outfits, headpieces, and face masks, and the fact that she (along with Ari and their dancers) was the only performer to wear face masks. She's also the only performer who did a medley, though BEP did close with two songs. 

This article isn't criticizing other performers but is simply noting how she brought that Gaga "je ne sais quoi" and made the event feel special in spite of the unusual circumstances. 

She/Her/Hers

HookerDotGov
2 hours ago, Red said:

Hmmmm I'm really happy for Gaga but this is disrespectful to The Weeknd, Miley and Doja who also had amazing performance and looks and seemed like they made an effort

I think the article goes beyond performance and, for the VMAs to be truly worth watching, there needs to also be good stage-moments, wins, and speeches. Gaga was a constant presence the entire night, accepting awards in high-fashion couture all while also putting on an epic medley performance. A string of solid performances wouldn't have saved the night. Though I do agree, the writer could have given praise to The Weeknd, Miley, and Doja for putting on great performances. 

2 minutes ago, SabadoDeGloria said:

I think the article goes beyond performance and, for the VMAs to be truly worth watching, there needs to also be good stage-moments, wins, and speeches. Gaga was a constant presence the entire night, accepting awards in high-fashion couture all while also putting on an epic medley performance. A string of solid performances wouldn't have saved the night. Though I do agree, the writer could have given praise to The Weeknd, Miley, and Doja for putting on great performances. 

But they made it sound like every other person in there just showed up doing and wearing whatever and Gaga was the only one caring about the event, that's absolutely not true, I mean, The Weeknd put on a whole ass FX makeup, like, hello? Does it sound lazy?

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

Woolfsmck
3 hours ago, RAMROD said:

Things were looking a little bleak for this year’s VMAs. It seemed like this year’s show might fall by the wayside—how could it possibly thrive with an all-virtual audience?

The answer is, of course, Lady Gaga.

Gaga wasn’t taking this year’s virtual spectacle any less seriously. While hardly any celebs showed up this year — even Taylor Zoom-ed to accept an award — Gaga arrived with a closet full of couture, half a dozen spectacular face masks, and enough energy to make up for a CGI audience.

Not only did she have it in her to change outfits eight times, she gave an incredible, fully-masked performance of music from Chromatica, at one point playing on a brain-shaped piano. Excuse me while I order the Chromatica thong.

Full article:

https://www.thecut.com/2020/08/lady-gagas-face-masks-steal-the-vmas.html

:applause:

Wellllll...when one is wearing a face mask,,,one must be stylish....😎

like a cat in a sil, I observe life, moving and still. My words give a clue,look inside to see whats true

HookerDotGov
35 minutes ago, Red said:

But they made it sound like every other person in there just showed up doing and wearing whatever and Gaga was the only one caring about the event, that's absolutely not true, I mean, The Weeknd put on a whole ass FX makeup, like, hello? Does it sound lazy?

The article is literally three paragraphs long and not long paragraphs at that. It is primarily photos of her costume changes and that is what the article heavily celebrates: Lady Gaga showing up, accepting her major awards, and doing so in a high-concept outfit for each one. They only brush on her performance (referencing the outfit changes) and say nothing negatively about any other celebrity (aside from saying Taylor phone in a speech). Their opening paragraph about the virtual audience and The Weeknd on a roof top seems to more speak to hesitancy regarding a virtual show with no central stage and audience...

I really don't read a ton of shade. Moreso celebrating that Gaga really went above and beyond...she didn't need a different outfit for each award, etc. She was the big winner of the night and she made sure each speech was entertaining.

I agree that it was the LGVMA's this year but I really enjoyed every single performance I watched (Doja, TW, Miley, Chloe x Halle). Good for the VMAs! I don't remember the last time I cared to watch this many performances.

HookerDotGov
3 minutes ago, palma said:

I agree that it was the LGVMA's this year but I really enjoyed every single performance I watched (Doja, TW, Miley, Chloe x Halle). Good for the VMAs! I don't remember the last time I cared to watch this many performances.

It really helped that new music was highlighted and there was a range of performances from veterans and newcomers and those in between. There was a period when the VMAs would more or less use the same performers each year and it got stale.

While I'm happy for the Gaga praise, I don't even listen to majority of the other artists (I didn't even know who half of them were tbh), but the performances were great. 

Just now, KARMA said:

Chloe x Halle did a really good performance too :kiss:

I spectated their performance from Chromatica because just as they bumped their hip simultaneously within the first 3 seconds, Earth became too much for me to live in. I stan :giveup:

Curunir

Gaga fed us so much that there's users here complaining about how she's the only one getting praised :deadbanana:

I never thought I'd live to see the day :air:

Archived