Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why Are There No New “Main Pop Girls”?

Blastertoyo

Featured Posts

Animal Claws
8 hours ago, xoxo Craig said:

She's the closest to being a main pop girl :huntyga:  There was, but you're trying to say Dua is a main pop girl... which is misinformation :billie:

Dua is one of the most streamed female artists this year (+59 million monthly listeners), not bad to someone that's not known outside the Europe, according to you.

She has the most streamed album from 2020 (over 2B streams), and probably the most sold worldwide (idk the exact numbers)

DSN is a WW hit and it sold +10 million copies.

2 big hits on the US, and she's a UK artist.

All of this and you still think she's not a main pop girl and she has made a lot more than your favs. You have the freedom to dislike her, but don't make this an excuse to trash her. 

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MANiCURE1295

I need to see artists go through a couple of album cycles before I’m willing to call anyone a MPG but I do think Ariana has definitely reached that level, I think Dua is very close to that level as she is getting bigger and bigger every day and shes already HUGE in Europe and the UK. But artists like Lizzo or Billie it’s way too early to tell, I mean Billie has only released one album and an EP? 

I just need to see more from an artist before I’m willing to put them in that category. Camila is definitely not there. MPG means A list status in my mind and Camilla is like a B list artist maybe, no shade but that’s just how I feel.

On 8/13/2020 at 1:17 PM, xoxo Craig said:

Because they haven't done anything outstanding yet...

Dua Lipa had her biggest chance with Future Nostalgia... but it didn't meet the standards. DSN and Physical were perfect singles... but the rest of the album really didn't live up to those singles.

Camila has been dominating since 2017... so I'd say she's a main pop girl 

Normani has had issues with her label

Ava Max hasn't hit the mark.

... and it continues. Nobody has REALLY gone for it

I became a Dua stan thanks to her latest album.  I think it’s pretty amazing beginning to end.    

jackoajl
On 8/13/2020 at 1:43 PM, Jose P said:

Well I wanna tell you Dua is pretty massive in Latin America as well, the US is not the only variable to take into account.

And she DOES have a top 5 single, Don’t Start Now went #2 and was on the top 10 for months. I know you don’t like her but she IS well known, don’t try to make it seem like she’s an obscure indie artist. She is legit the 3rd most streamed artist on Spotify rn.

77-CCBF60-95-F2-406-D-A98-A-797943-CFF81

Is that the sign of someone who’s not well known?

No, she isn't, here in Latin America we're more focus on reggaeton music. All my students in music classes always want to sing reggaeton, banda and sometimes english music, but more focus on billie eillish, or old ones like Christina Aguilera, Shallow or Sam Smith.

The only time I see they mention her is with the song "out of my mind" (I don't know if that's the real name, and one time only "DSN".

My new single #Tregua available on your favorite streaming service

Jose P
3 minutes ago, jackoajl said:

No, she isn't, here in Latin America we're more focus on reggaeton music. All my students in music classes always want to sing reggaeton, banda and sometimes english music, but more focus on billie eillish, or old ones like Christina Aguilera, Shallow or Sam Smith.

Hun, I’m from Latin America myself, I live here, and I guess it varies from country to country. Bc Dua here gets insanely overplayed. In the Spotify charts she’s had a permanent residence in the top 5 for like 4 months already. I was actually surprised when I found out she struggles in the US. Reggaeton and trap are the dominant genres but many English speaking artists are huge as well and that includes Dua.

Galactic Mess

I think there are new ones, we’re just not immersed in that universe anymore because we’re growing older!

very funny oops GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

BUtterfield 8
On 8/13/2020 at 2:22 PM, SeIena Gomez said:

I don’t even know if Ariana is a MPG. It’s like she has everything it requires - success, talent, visuals - but she’s just so basic I guess? She hasn’t experimented enough imo

We really arguing over Ariana’s MPG status in 2020

She’s a MPG what is there to argue about 

Pray4FameGa

Controversial, but I don’t believe there are any.

A MPG to me is a household name. Your gran knows Rihanna and gaga, she hasn’t heard of dua, billie or whoever.. 

The last pop girl MOMENT was Gaga in her prime.

I was playing scribl with friends and someone drew a blonde woman with a microphone, shoulder pads, and holding a disco stick. Everyone got it.

None of these new girls will have a legacy like that.

Chuckles

Nobody of the girls mentioned is a risk-taker. From the girls from this new decade, my money is with Dua Lipa. However, it is true that Camila gets a lot of support from the GP and I don't even know why...

Archived