Rita Ora gets blackfishing accusations

holy scheisse

Featured Posts

Glamourpuss
2 hours ago, KanyeWest said:

So u call that a tan?

677683931_700.jpg

Let's not be biased. It's blackface 

Kanye, it's really not the same as blackface. In the final photos that were released from the shoot Gaga is orange. It was kind of the norm back then in the 00's for women to fake tan themselves to the point of being orange and I always thought Gaga was supposed to be mocking that look.

Petty explains what the true meaning is...

1 hour ago, PETTY said:

It’s not blackface. They’re mimicking a white woman who has tanned way too much in her life and ruined her skin. It’s the aesthetic of the shoot. On top of that, when this was done - they had every intention of contrasting the final pictures and making her super orange to fit with the colors of the shoot. Y’all really have to stop pushing this blackface narrative.

i guess Tan Mom was doing black face all this time too 🙄 pls 

WHNQTVlPNTduOGt0cHEzTGxDZHMuanBn.jpg

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ryusei

2209153.main_image.jpg?strip=all 

She always looked like that tho... I mean I'm not gonna say anything about the hairstyles but even now she's just a bit tan it's not like she has some crazy dark tan going on or anything. 

It's not like she changed her facial features to look less "white" whatever that means. 

Musery

2 hours ago, Glamourpuss said:

In the final photos that were released from the shoot Gaga is orange. It was kind of the norm back then in the 00's for women to fake tan themselves to the point of being orange and I always thought Gaga was supposed to be mocking that look.

Okay fair enough I didnt know the story of that photoshoot 

xoxo Craig

I'm genuinely so shocked that everyone thought she was black or mixed race :air:  like how could people even think that? 

End Racism Now

Xoxo Adriana
11 hours ago, Brecht said:

Because people love black culture but hate black people.

this still doesn’t make any sense. none of us knew she was white this entire time and thought she was black. like @Economy said this is a massive contradiction. 

wrong of her to culturally appropriate regardless, especially finding out like 8 years into her career:bradley:

xoxo Craig
1 minute ago, Xoxo Adriana said:

this still doesn’t make any sense. none of us knew she was white this entire time and thought she was black. like @Economy said this is a massive contradiction. 

wrong of her to culturally appropriate regardless, especially finding out like 8 years into her career:bradley:

I think most people knew she was white 

End Racism Now

ShayCristoforo

I don't think the hairstyles are an issue, as long as she supports and defends POC.
For me, there's a major difference between celebrating vs. mocking and appropriating. 

Get the pinot ready, because it's turtle time.

people thought she wasn't white? :lmao:

anyways haven't you people got places to be instead of crying over nothing

lastfm - https://tinyurl.com/4x28kakr⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀steam - https://tinyurl.com/mbyp5as5

Gracious Gaga
8 hours ago, 776673564747836765 said:

and what about Ariana, she is wearing make up like this all the time :lolly:

Yes, ari is as guilty as Rita is for black fishing 

ari is literally trying to pass as a different race with her fan tanned skin 

I think the kardashians played a big role in celebs wanting to look more exotic and not pale/white 

♥ Kindness Police.

GagaSine
7 hours ago, lestyoufall said:

No one I went to school with that was black was told they couldn’t wear their hair a certain way. In fact, school officials never even commented on their hair. Not sure about your other claims but this I don’t believe. Never in all my school years seen or heard of this happening from any black friends. They wore their hair in braids, no braids, up dos, etc. I don’t think it’s fair to bash on people who wear braids & say it’s cultural appropriation especially when they aren’t claiming it’s their culture? Anyone can wear anything they want. Rita Ora wasn’t making money off wearing braids? She wasn’t saying “this is my culture” it’s literally everyone else now projecting it onto her because they just found out she’s white. She’s done nothing wrong. It’s not her fault y’all didn’t know she was white? Like what in the world.

Yep it didn’t happen to you/in front of you so it never happens 

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/22/893970329/texas-school-board-keeps-grooming-code-that-led-to-suspension-of-black-students

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/08/11/health/microaggression-medicine-doctors.amp.html

“Dr. Otugo recalled overhearing her Black female colleagues in Chicago discuss how they were going to style their hair for their clerkships. Many of them worried that if they wore their hair naturally, instead of straightening it or even changing it to lighter colors, their grades and performance evaluations from white physicians might suffer.”

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/education-53516009 (this is the UK but  the point still stands)

“Discipline policies banning black hairstyles [...] are being blamed in part.”

“She says hair styles, and the requirement for all pupils to look the same, can be a flashpoint.

Ms Ogunseitan said: "I have seen in schools when parents have had their child's hair cut low, they thought they were getting their child school ready, and that child ends up in an isolation unit."”

“"You are having to tame your hair, tame your blackness, and it's happening from when you are a child," she says.”

A literal scholarly, academic paper you can read abt black hair and employment discrimination -> http://scholar.google.ca/scholar_url?url=https://digitalcommons.law.byu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi%3Farticle%3D3177%26context%3Dlawreview&hl=en&sa=X&scisig=AAGBfm2ag-dxLgTbgAp_9TeoMvb1NoChqA&nossl=1&oi=scholarr

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna973346

https://daily.jstor.org/how-natural-black-hair-at-work-became-a-civil-rights-issue/

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.instyle.com/hair/black-womens-hair-regulated-us-school-workplace-discrimination%3famp=true

Xoxo Adriana
1 hour ago, xoxo Craig said:

I think most people knew she was white 

if *everyone* knew she was white, the black fishing would’ve been called out years ago....as in 2012 years ago.:bear:

what this current situation tells me is that either people have been waiting on this for years to finally say something now, OR nobody knew she was white till now. please make it make sense for me agshshjdsj 

all i’m saying is i personally didn’t know she was white till now. most Rita stans would’ve known but coming from the perspective of a GP/non stan, not everyone would’ve known her race. 

GagaSine
5 minutes ago, Xoxo Adriana said:

if *everyone* knew she was white, the black fishing would’ve been called out years ago....as in 2012 years ago.:bear:

what this current situation tells me is that either people have been waiting on this for years to finally say something now, OR nobody knew she was white till now. please make it make sense for me agshshjdsj 

all i’m saying is i personally didn’t know she was white till now. most Rita stans would’ve known but coming from the perspective of a GP/non stan, not everyone would’ve known her race. 

She got called out on tumblr way back when lol I think people are just recycling old drama because of the pandemic less stupid stuff is happening :toofunny:

xoxo Craig
Just now, Xoxo Adriana said:

Well lets be honest... blackfishing only really became a scandal from 2018 onwards. :bear: It wasn't really a thing in 2012.

Its just obvious, like she doesn't look black or mixed race. You can tell she has that European/Mediterranean inheritance in her blood, but it was like common knowledge that she comes from Kosovo and her mother is Albanian. She made a big deal out of telling everyone how proud she was because Bebe Rexha and Dua Lipa, along with Rita Ora, were nominated for the Brit Awards. 

Plus, what Rita was doing isn't blackfishing. She isn't darkening her skin to appear black, or dressing to appear black to mock black people. Rita has never claimed to be black or mixed race. If she was wearing that afro and mocking black people, then its different. But its just a hairstyle and if she wants to wear dreads, then she should be able to. Gaga has worn dreads and stuff :shrug:   Obviously I can't tell people not to be offended, but she never came across to me as if she was imitating a black person for the sake of success or mocking black people, which is what blackfishing is. 

Just like the accusations with Ariana Grande, tanning is not blackfishing. People with European/Mediterranean blood in them will tan more and get darker in the sun. I just don't see how a tan is blackfishing.

End Racism Now

HEARTSTOP

The concept of blackfishing outside of black activism is so insane and farfetched that I can't even begin to comprehend it.

It implies that she is pretending to be a different race for other people to pay attention to her art. So, if a person is black or mixed race, you will listen to their music just because of it? How is that not racist? Sure it's a "good" consequence of racism, but it is still damaging to the races involved.

If you're a black person (or any person really), you should not be listening to artists JUST because they're black. That is racist. There's nothing in her music that relates her to black culture, so you can't even say relating to her music's cultural references is why you would listen to her if she was black.

IDGAF

• Glamourpuss locked this topic

Archived