Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Beyonce dragged for doing blackface, using Africa as a gimmick.

GiovanniDean

Featured Posts

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
freebit

Those people featured in the OP are pretty bold :duck:. It's hard to critique Beyonce online. It gets uncomfortable because sometimes it's hard to tell if the criticism of Beyonce is coming from a legitimate place, or a petty stan war'd place, or at worst, a racist and right wing place. Kind of sucks because on the flip side, when Beyonce does things that warrant criticism, you get the Hive coming at you, insinuating racism, and then eventually you got Fox News stans agreeing with you out of malice. A mess all around. :saladga: I also think people here are over-simplifying this. 

It sucks that these people are getting backlash just for making some good points (and someone else said, the criticism is done out of love & some of these people actually love Beyonce & her artistry). I think what Noname said is interesting. It feels unseemly that monarchy & a worship of capitalism are running themes in her work. I see where she's going with that, as it seems empowering, but at the same time, what about normal people/ aka "peasants"? The whole thing that's been becoming very clear during these hard times recently is that we can't rely on celebrities, if anything, celebrity culture is a major problem. It's even trickled into people stanning politicians like they're celebrities when they're supposed to be working for the people. It also reminds me of Malcolm X saying he doesn't see celebs as leaders (everything he said is still relevant now). It's resulted in legitimate criticisms getting brushed off because the person in question has stans & the media (who now mimic stan culture) defending them even though the celeb is upholding ideas that are questionable. I think Beyonce's heart is in the right place & she's obviously a good person, but being a celebrity and part of the 1%, she's obviously clueless to some of the things she's doing because she lives in the upper echeleon. Also, just by nature, celebrity is always going to be tied to capitalism. So when a celebrity becomes a deity and upholds the all mighty dollar, things are going to take turn to say the least. This is why good criticism is healthy - how are Bey & other artists going to know if people don't call them on it?

HoneyB
3 minutes ago, freebit said:

Those people featured in the OP are pretty bold :duck:. It's hard to critique Beyonce online. It gets uncomfortable because sometimes it's hard to tell if the criticism of Beyonce is coming from a legitimate place, or a petty stan war'd place, or at worst, a racist and right wing place. Kind of sucks because on the flip side, when Beyonce does things that warrant criticism, you get the Hive coming at you, insinuating racism, and then eventually you got Fox News stans agreeing with you out of malice. A mess all around. :saladga: I also think people here are over-simplifying this. 

It sucks that these people are getting backlash just for making some good points (and someone else said, the criticism is done out of love & some of these people actually love Beyonce & her artistry). I think what Noname said is interesting. It feels unseemly that monarchy & a worship of capitalism are running themes in her work. I see where she's going with that, as it seems empowering, but at the same time, what about normal people/ aka "peasants"? The whole thing that's been becoming very clear during these hard times recently is that we can't rely on celebrities, if anything, celebrity culture is a major problem. It's even trickled into people stanning politicians like they're celebrities when they're supposed to be working for the people. It also reminds me of Malcolm X saying he doesn't see celebs as leaders (everything he said is still relevant now). It's resulted in legitimate criticisms getting brushed off because the person in question has stans & the media (who now mimic stan culture) defending them even though the celeb is upholding ideas that are questionable. I think Beyonce's heart is in the right place & she's obviously a good person, but being a celebrity and part of the 1%, she's obviously clueless to some of the things she's doing because she lives in the upper echeleon. Also, just by nature, celebrity is always going to be tied to capitalism. So when a celebrity becomes a deity and upholds the all mighty dollar, things are going to take turn to say the least. This is why good criticism healthy - how are Bey & other artists going to know if people don't call them on it?

This was well said, I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said:applause:

💋 𝕊𝕥𝕖𝕡 𝕐𝕒 ℂ𝕠𝕠𝕜𝕚𝕖𝕤 𝕌𝕡💋🍪

Sorcerer

Even though she's technically Black, she's a privileged woman capitalizing on African native imagery as an aesthetic for commercial purposes.

She deserves the dragging.

TRILL MONSTER

Damn people are offended by every little thing now it’s annoying 

I guess she should just celebrate white power in a album about africa:saladga:

Guest Adarsh

The hive, who are probably privileged Americans are fighting with actual African people in the comments, calling them stupid and posting fan cams. :saladga:

LaLuna

I didn't even know there could be such a thing as a black woman doing blackface. And Beyoncé, of all people...

This raises many questions for me. Is a black person not allowed to celebrate their roots? And does being light-skinned make you "less black"? :oprah:

HausOfAntonio

People need to just..... not change the colour of their damn skin SMHHHH :saladga:

HausOfAntonio
2 minutes ago, LaLuna said:

I didn't even know there could be such a thing as a black woman doing blackface. And Beyoncé, of all people...

This raises many questions for me. Is a black person not allowed to celebrate their roots? And does being light-skinned make you "less black"? :oprah:

Its just issues of colourism, and how actual skin colour generates different social conditions for each person. There is a lot of talk in the black community about the privilege of lighter skinned black people and how their struggles are dissimilar to that of darker skinned folks. 

Lord Temptation

Don’t forget her sweat shops paying poor brown people slave wages :excuseu:

LaLuna
1 minute ago, HausOfAntonio said:

Its just issues of colourism, and how actual skin colour generates different social conditions for each person. There is a lot of talk in the black community about the privilege of lighter skinned black people and how their struggles are dissimilar to that of darker skinned folks. 

I figured as much. I mean, I don't think Beyoncé doing blackface is offensive, but I can see how it can be perceived that way by Africans and darker-skinned people.

HausOfAntonio
Just now, LaLuna said:

I figured as much. I mean, I don't think Beyoncé doing blackface is offensive, but I can see how it can be perceived that way by Africans and darker-skinned people.

It can be taken as offensive if people see it as her portraying the image and essentially profiting from it without having to actually live the struggle. Idk I’m just not comfortable with these cases because it just doesn’t seem like genuine celebration as much as just misguided and not necessarily helpful. There are other ways to uplift and put the spotlight on darker skinned black people than painting yourself to look like one. 

gypsy101

yall need to fracking need to stop with the hatred of Beyoncé already, jesus christ the lady is a black woman

Archived