13 minutes ago, PartySick said:

I'm sorry but WHAT :cryga:

MJ ASMR :bradley:

Okay but it’s strangely kind of comforting :cryga: the idea is sweet 

Cello
4 minutes ago, Dirty Diana said:

Oh my gosh.. this is so cool 

I'm enjoying this so much :bradley:

Every time I listen to this song I remember it's probably in my top 5 all time MJ songs, and I'm loving the different vocals in this 

do i need to understand a pineapple to eat a banana
  • Love 1

Future Lovers
5 hours ago, PartySick said:

:bradley:

This reminds me of a question I have wondered for a very long time and if anyone knows the answer, I figure it'd be you. 

Did he entirely lip sync (as in none of his live voice being present or audible to the audience at all) or did he do what some other artists do and have a backtrack with live vocals mixed in every now and then? I figure it's pretty hard to tell on the professionally filmed performances we have because audio tends to be remixed in post-production on those anyway, but as is as it was there in the venue, was it all a track? 

And I mean it's not a really a huge deal if it is, I understand why he did it (although you'd think as much as he did, he wouldn't been a little better at it KHNJL) I've just always been curious. 

PartySick
15 minutes ago, Mr Mendes said:

This reminds me of a question I have wondered for a very long time and if anyone knows the answer, I figure it'd be you. 

Did he entirely lip sync (as in none of his live voice being present or audible to the audience at all) or did he do what some other artists do and have a backtrack with live vocals mixed in every now and then? I figure it's pretty hard to tell on the professionally filmed performances we have because audio tends to be remixed in post-production on those anyway, but as is as it was there in the venue, was it all a track? 

And I mean it's not a really a huge deal if it is, I understand why he did it (although you'd think as much as he did, he wouldn't been a little better at it KHNJL) I've just always been curious. 

It depends on which shows you're talking about.

Whenever he used lipsyncing it was almost always total lipsync. Sometimes (like Beat It or Billie Jean during the HIStory Tour) they'd switch his mic on after a certain point in the song so he can adlib.

For his three solo tours I know this much:

On the Bad Tour, Smooth Criminal, Bad, The Way You Make Me Feel, and Man in the Mirror were lipsynced but they all had live adlibbing/singing at the last bit of the song. Unless one or two are slipping my mind, I'm pretty sure the rest of the show was totally live.

On the Dangerous Tour, Jam, Smooth Criminal, Thriller, Black or White, Dangerous, Will You Be There, Heal the World, and Man in the Mirror were lipsynced. Most of them had live bits here and there but some songs were entirely lipped. There was a show where he mixed live and lipped vocals for Black or White though :flutter: it makes you wonder why he did it when he was obviously capable of singing live and dancing at the same time. Especially the ballads but what can you do :shrug:

For the HIStory Tour, nearly every song was lipsynced aside from adlibs. A bit of In the Closet, Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', the J5 Medley, and Beat It (on some nights) were live but that's it. There's rumors that he sang Blood on the Dance Floor live once but I don't think it's true since that song had a short run on the tour and nobody knows what show it supposedly was. Anyway, lipping this show makes a lot more sense than the BWT or DWT 'cause he was constantly battling infections and inflammation in his larynx and lungs. They wouldn't cancel the tour though. Scream was partially live on the opening night and you can hear how rough he sounds before the playback kicks in :bradley:

But even so, WBSS was ALWAYS live no matter what. I'm not sure why it was never lipped :oprah: maybe it was some peculiar thing about him. He did fight his tour producers over songs a lot. Kenny was talking about cutting You Are Not Alone from This Is It and Mike almost fired him for it :ladyhaha: (not really but he said "absolutely not!!!")

One I've always been unsure of was the 30th anniversary show. Specifically The Way You Make Me Feel with Britney. At times he sounds exactly like the studio recording but a few words later and he's singing differently. And I know they're not switching back and forth :bradley: but judging by the Jacksons reunion part of that show (all live) it seemed like his voice recovered fully from whatever was killing it in the late 90s. You Rock My World sounded great too even though he was winded :tony:

He sounded so good at the live parts of these shows :bradley:

Damn 9/11...for the obvious reasons and for the petty reason that the Invincible Tour was cancelled afterwards. We could have potentially been treated to an amazing return to vocal form :bradley:

I have to wonder how many songs would have been lipped on This Is It. Jam, They Don't Care About Us, Dangerous, Thriller, etc would all be obvious playback but Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', Human Nature (Stranger in Moscow on some nights), The Way You Make Me Feel, the J5 medley, Rock With You, Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough, Dirty Diana, Beat It (apparently), Billie Jean (also apparently), Will You Be There, You Are Not Alone, Heal the World, Earth Song, and maybe even Man in the Mirror were rumored to be live as they lowered the pitch or altered the songs in other ways on a lot of them for MJ to have an easier time actually singing them. UGH why didn't we get at least one of those shows :bradley:

...I know you didn't ask for all of this but I could talk about MJ for days :ladyhaha:

• Love 2

Future Lovers
1 hour ago, PartySick said:

It depends on which shows you're talking about.

Whenever he used lipsyncing it was almost always total lipsync. Sometimes (like Beat It or Billie Jean during the HIStory Tour) they'd switch his mic on after a certain point in the song so he can adlib.

For his three solo tours I know this much:

On the Bad Tour, Smooth Criminal, Bad, The Way You Make Me Feel, and Man in the Mirror were lipsynced but they all had live adlibbing/singing at the last bit of the song. Unless one or two are slipping my mind, I'm pretty sure the rest of the show was totally live.

On the Dangerous Tour, Jam, Smooth Criminal, Thriller, Black or White, Dangerous, Will You Be There, Heal the World, and Man in the Mirror were lipsynced. Most of them had live bits here and there but some songs were entirely lipped. There was a show where he mixed live and lipped vocals for Black or White though :flutter: it makes you wonder why he did it when he was obviously capable of singing live and dancing at the same time. Especially the ballads but what can you do :shrug:

For the HIStory Tour, nearly every song was lipsynced aside from adlibs. A bit of In the Closet, Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', the J5 Medley, and Beat It (on some nights) were live but that's it. There's rumors that he sang Blood on the Dance Floor live once but I don't think it's true since that song had a short run on the tour and nobody knows what show it supposedly was. Anyway, lipping this show makes a lot more sense than the BWT or DWT 'cause he was constantly battling infections and inflammation in his larynx and lungs. They wouldn't cancel the tour though. Scream was partially live on the opening night and you can hear how rough he sounds before the playback kicks in :bradley:

But even so, WBSS was ALWAYS live no matter what. I'm not sure why it was never lipped :oprah: maybe it was some peculiar thing about him. He did fight his tour producers over songs a lot. Kenny was talking about cutting You Are Not Alone from This Is It and Mike almost fired him for it :ladyhaha: (not really but he said "absolutely not!!!")

One I've always been unsure of was the 30th anniversary show. Specifically The Way You Make Me Feel with Britney. At times he sounds exactly like the studio recording but a few words later and he's singing differently. And I know they're not switching back and forth :bradley: but judging by the Jacksons reunion part of that show (all live) it seemed like his voice recovered fully from whatever was killing it in the late 90s. You Rock My World sounded great too even though he was winded :tony:

He sounded so good at the live parts of these shows :bradley:

Damn 9/11...for the obvious reasons and for the petty reason that the Invincible Tour was cancelled afterwards. We could have potentially been treated to an amazing return to vocal form :bradley:

I have to wonder how many songs would have been lipped on This Is It. Jam, They Don't Care About Us, Dangerous, Thriller, etc would all be obvious playback but Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', Human Nature (Stranger in Moscow on some nights), The Way You Make Me Feel, the J5 medley, Rock With You, Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough, Dirty Diana, Beat It (apparently), Billie Jean (also apparently), Will You Be There, You Are Not Alone, Heal the World, Earth Song, and maybe even Man in the Mirror were rumored to be live as they lowered the pitch or altered the songs in other ways on a lot of them for MJ to have an easier time actually singing them. UGH why didn't we get at least one of those shows :bradley:

...I know you didn't ask for all of this but I could talk about MJ for days :ladyhaha:

No don't apologize, I absolutely asked for this! 

It's always been something I've wanted to look into because as you said, he demonstrated he was very capable of singing and dancing when he wanted to. The thing with his lipping is, while I don't mind it, he was (at least in my opinion) not all that good at it and it seemed especially on the HIStory Tour he was aware of that and I feel like it got in his way sometimes more than it assisted him. Him raising his hand to cover his mouth or cover the mic so often on that tour stuck out to me when I was younger and not in the know enough to understand why he was doing it. 

On the WBSS thing...of all the songs to do live that seems like the hardest one to do??? With how fast he has to sing it, I would think that'd be more exhausting than something like Man in the Mirror would be. 

I do wish we'd have gotten to see This Is It in its final form. For years now I've really, really been itching for them to release more from it be it either visual or audio because I just know the movie was barely scratching the surface of the material they probably had. I'd love just for some soundboard recordings of the rehearsals, or hell even just some recordings from the music rehearsals before they ever even put it on stage. 

• Love 2

PartySick
15 hours ago, Mr Mendes said:

I do wish we'd have gotten to see This Is It in its final form. For years now I've really, really been itching for them to release more from it be it either visual or audio because I just know the movie was barely scratching the surface of the material they probably had. I'd love just for some soundboard recordings of the rehearsals, or hell even just some recordings from the music rehearsals before they ever even put it on stage. 

Sugarfoot (his drummer) has been steadily leaking band rehearsals through the years :tony: you can hear how a few songs are pitched lower which just makes me believe that rumor that he was going to sing most of the show live even more. Hell, Dirty Diana is a whole three or four steps lower :bradley: imagine him singing that low :bradley:

The playlist :tony:

We know Dangerous was rehearsed too so I'M WAITING FOR IT :grr:

The shots of him and the dancers in front of that green electricity I CANNOT :bradley: also can the dancer in the red shirt around 0:40 call me? Like, hello? :bradley:

Please, Mr. Foot :fatcat:

Stranger in Moscow was rehearsed too. A bit of the footage was leaked or something I guess? Eagle eyed fans pieced it together:

They could make a whole ass This Is It 2 if they wanted :fatcat:

• Love 2

Future Lovers
2 hours ago, PartySick said:

Sugarfoot (his drummer) has been steadily leaking band rehearsals through the years :tony: you can hear how a few songs are pitched lower which just makes me believe that rumor that he was going to sing most of the show live even more. Hell, Dirty Diana is a whole three or four steps lower :bradley: imagine him singing that low :bradley:

The playlist :tony:

We know Dangerous was rehearsed too so I'M WAITING FOR IT :grr:

The shots of him and the dancers in front of that green electricity I CANNOT :bradley: also can the dancer in the red shirt around 0:40 call me? Like, hello? :bradley:

Please, Mr. Foot :fatcat:

Stranger in Moscow was rehearsed too. A bit of the footage was leaked or something I guess? Eagle eyed fans pieced it together:

They could make a whole ass This Is It 2 if they wanted :fatcat:

I've always wondered why they've never pieced together a "show" out of the footage. Give us some idea of what it was going to look like and all. I know not everything was final and they were still working stuff out but there's no way they don't have a full run through every of every song with what they had available, so I really don't see why they couldn't do something like that.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

PartySick
46 minutes ago, Mr Mendes said:

I've always wondered why they've never pieced together a "show" out of the footage. Give us some idea of what it was going to look like and all. I know not everything was final and they were still working stuff out but there's no way they don't have a full run through every of every song with what they had available, so I really don't see why they couldn't do something like that.

For sure. They were literally two weeks away from opening night and had several full run throughs of the show under their belt so :bradley:

I wanna see the strippers dance to Dirty Diana :partysick:

• Love 1

Future Lovers
50 minutes ago, PartySick said:

For sure. They were literally two weeks away from opening night and had several full run throughs of the show under their belt so :bradley:

I wanna see the strippers dance to Dirty Diana :partysick:

Omg yes, same. 

Ugh...I just hate that he didn't at least get to do one show. He was finally doing the show that everyone had always wanted to see from him and that everyone knew he was capable of and....just damn. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Cello
24 minutes ago, Mr Mendes said:

Omg yes, same. 

Ugh...I just hate that he didn't at least get to do one show. He was finally doing the show that everyone had always wanted to see from him and that everyone knew he was capable of and....just damn. 

It's so sad. But I take solace in the fact that he died knowing he was still popular and loved enough to sell out all those shows so quickly. 

do i need to understand a pineapple to eat a banana
  • Love 2