💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Anome's Chromatica Review

anomdepllume

Featured Posts

anomdepllume

Hi folks! I know it's been a while, etc. etc. But I've formulated some thoughts to share and discuss with y'all, so let's get into it! I have some general thoughts, then I'll get into it track-by-track.

On the whole, I really really love Chromatica. It's pretty much everything I wanted. As others have noted, I see the similarities to ARTPOP, in making upbeat dance tracks about painful experiences, or expressing difficult or powerful emotions through that, and I love both albums, but Chromatica definitely takes a more mature, spiritual look at surviving. ARTPOP is someone who is still in the thick of a rough time, Chromatica is someone who has fought their way through it and is able to look at and analyze. (Again, I love both albums, this is just how they are different in my opinion). There are a few moments that puzzle me, but a few I've already worked out just by letting the album sit with me for a few days. I'm thankful there's a lot to unpack.

Listening to an album top to bottom is not really a lost art, but not a lot of albums reward an in-order listening anymore, whereas Chromatica is an experience and if you don't listen to it as God(ga) intended from t to b, you're missing out on an amazing story. (and a glorious transition that we will absolutely get to).

Chromatica  I- Okay, The tone that this sets for the rest of the album is perfect: it's grand, sweeping, something new but welcome from Gaga, and leads perfectly into...

Alice- a fabulous start. As a whole, Gaga's head voice/high register on this album is shockingly good. It really feels like the beginning of an odyssey, a pilgrim on a spiritual journey that is oftentimes puzzling and difficult.

Stupid Love - I will never be over how dang joyful this song is. Stupid Love is so open hearted and big and that to me is a really good encapsulation of what Chromatica is, coming to a place of love and self-acceptance that might look dumb or too strange or dare I say, stupid, to any onlookers. Gaga has always pushed against minimalism and apathy, even when it's what everybody else is doing, and there's no better example of that than Stupid Love, and its video. Her heart shows through on this one, and it was a great choice for lead single. I would also for sure rank it as Chromatica's most unapologetically upbeat song in terms of lyrical content, which becomes an interesting foil to pretty much the rest of the album, which remains upbeat tempo-wise but delves into heavier stuff.

Rain on Me - pop perfection. Everything about it screams iconique. I don't really listen to Ariana Grande but she sounds great on the song and I appreciate what she brings to the table vocally. Gaga and Ariana's voices are so powerful, each in a unique way, and having them blend those strengths creates something amazing. Lyrically, Rain on Me is a heavy contender for my favorite. I'd rather be dry/but at least I'm alive is so powerful to me personally, and has been a whole mood and a half for the last few months. It's a song about surviving, and God do I need to hear it at least twice a day very loudly while driving in my car. 

Free Woman - I love the idea of dual narratives in song. I recently read an interview with the extraordinary Jason Isbell talking about it. Isbell released an album a few weeks prior to Chromatica that had a song or two that dealt with a character driven narrative different from Isbell's life, but would also dip into his personal experiences seamlessly. Free Woman does this in my opinion. The chorus is great, and I love the spirit of the song. Unfortunately, I find the lyrics more interesting than the sound. Maybe it's just a pacing note, but Free Woman after the triple punch of the opening tracks feels out of place. It definitely belongs on the album, I just don't know where. (maybe somewhere around Plastic Doll? Since they both deal with being liberated and feminine? Still working on it). It's like Joanne coming between A-Yo and John Wayne on Joanne, it makes it an easy target to get skipped, despite both being great songs.

Fun Tonight - This was instantly a song, a message, and a sound I latched onto in my first listen. The way that it builds and breaks is perfect, dipping into that gentle first chorus, and then going for the full drop. And once again, Gaga's high register steals the show. Fun Tonight also reminds me of a favorite album from a few years back, Paramore's After Laughter, a candy colored collection of songs about being profoundly sad. That second verse in particular is so wrenching and personal, and feels both accusatory to an outside party and perhaps a bit reflective, acknowledging Gaga's intense personal relationship with fame and paparazzi. But where it all comes together is in how empowering it all feels. In admitting these unexpected and negative emotions, there is something freeing and honest. One of my album standouts.

(alsothissongisdefinitelygivingmeBradleyCoopervibesdon'tatmeIthinkit'salittlebitabouthim)

Chromatica II - God tier because...

911- The first time I heard this transition I literally screamed. This song is called 911 because you're gonna need an ambulance the first time it pops off. And then the song itself is just...God I love 911. Easily the chorus that gets stuck in my head the most off of this album. It's also a perfect lyrical companion to Fun Tonight, both dealing with those negative emotions in empowering ways. Sonically, 911 manages to be the weird stepchild of ARTPOP (the song) and Heavy Metal Lover and somehow make it work? Some of my favorite production on the album, those background ooohs are angelic, and the mix of a natural sounding Gaga and her super-produced vocals in the verses create such an interesting sound. Curious to see how this one is going to work live.

Plastic Doll - I definitely see where people have issues with this one but I do think it works on the album. Also, it's begging for a drag performance and I can't wait to see it in person. The overt campiness of it sets you up to be gut punched by the bridge and ending choruses. That little fake cry before the last chorus is so good. There are also some deceptively strong vocals on this song. That chorus gets hit hard. The more I think about it, the more I think this could have been a bonus track and Free Woman could go here in order to flow better and Plastic Doll could replace...

Sour Candy - gotta be real, I don't think this one is for me. If this was a separate side/single/thing, I would probably like it more, but it's the only track on the album that I genuinely don't love, and I think part of that is just because it's on Chromatica and not something else. In context, it ain't great. Blackpink sound great, but I acknowledge that K-pop just isn't my thing.  It's fine.

Enigma - another standout. Engima gives me the most of the retro-futuristic vibes that peak through in other places on Chromatica. It's everything you want from a Lady Gaga song: weird, fabulous, surprising, killer vocals, and intensely dancable. I don't have much to write because I literally love it so much and if I start I won't stop. A bit of an obvious statement, but can't wait to see how this one does in Vegas.

Replay - we all know Gaga loves Bayonetta, and is absolutely her most obvious homage. It comes sandwiched in between so many absolute gems, that it becomes a sort of unexpected jam when I'm listening through. It's a solid bop, and has some really interesting instrumentation, playing around with jazzy chords and interesting progressions, a secret weapon in an out and out battle.

Chromatica III/Sine From Above - Feels like the spiritual center of an already very spiritual album, a cleansing rainstorm in the desert. I actually really enjoy Elton collabing on such an unexpected sound for him, and thought he sounded surprisingly fresh. Gaga gets very personal on all of these songs, but Sine feels the most abstract of all of them, using more obscure language to effectively communicate her all-encompassing connection to music. I think the whole Sine motif is fascinating. Mixed feelings about that outro, but I also think that it's what sells the thunderstorm quality of it all.

1000 Doves - Whereas most of Chromatica deals in the abstract, 1000 Doves feels like the most straightforwardly personal track. It is so heartfelt and honest, and the closest thing to an actual ballad on here. Even as it is a cry for help, it also feels like a warm hug. I'm excited for piano performances of this.

Babylon - not even gonna lie, one of my absolute favorites. A victory dance anthem, completely incomprehensible, immaculately produced, and featuring a wildly good choie backing that makes me feel like a fierce b!tch. Battle for your life is the new paws-up, this one is gonna be an absolutely banger live, and I for one can't wait.

EDIT: I am a fake fan and forgot...

Love me Right - Lyrically feels very close to Joanne, and maybe even A Star is Born, and musically feels very close to The Cure. I can understand not putting it on the proper album, but it really is a bop and a half. It falls somewhere between the raw emotions of Joanne and the production of Chromatica. She's cute!

Please feel free to discuss, I love hearing everyone's different takes on this fantastic album and its meanings and experiments. 

And as always, I hope you all are staying safe, doing what you can to help your neighbor, and washing your hands!

anomdepllume

I am a fool! I will fix this post-haste. Thank you, friend :cryga::cryga::cryga:

Hybrid AT

I agree with mostly everything here in terms of what I feel about the individual songs! Very eloquently put. Thank you for sharing :kara:

"I was protected by the monks of Azarath, I was raised by my friends. They are my family, this is my home and you are not welcome here."

Archived