💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

What ever happened to Marry The Night?

Pop Art

Featured Posts

I really doubt.. that it's success had anything to do with radio....

MARRY THE NIGHT WAS #1 on A LOT OF BIG MAINSTREAM RADIO STATIONS including Z100/Y100 Miami and New York top radio stations.. for days straight.. and in miami's case weeks straight.. #1 most requested song of the day.. it peaked at #14 on pop radio... and was still rising UNTIL....

interscope dropped it..

just like JUDAS(judas peaked #15.. on pop radio.. and although it was a 2nd single.. It was dropped quickly after TEOG started selling more than judas.. and never really allowed to truely grow on radio.. because interscope wanted an immediate hit for the album coming out weeks later..)

I honestly believe it was because they wanted an instant hit.. and it wasn't an instant smash.. like I've mentioned before on here.. MOST HITS LIKE RIHANNA AND KATY are SENT TOP 40 WITH HEAVY PROMOTION.. and are BASICALLY FORCED TO BE SPINNED.. many people have thrown the term buying a number one with many big pop names on radio today.. and these people are big within the music industry.. the industry is rigged.. and it's obvious... anyone that a--lyzes pop music can see that..

if marry the night was pushed as hard as BORN THIS WAY was.. it would probably be a top 10 hit at least.. JUDAS flopped because it wasn't an instant hit either.. it wasn't doing bad at all.. until interscope dropped it.... then again interscope was pushing LMFAO.. so it could look like favoritism on their part too.. not wanting gaga to take the spot light from LMFAO who barely get hits..

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interscope dropped every single gaga had after Born this way too quickly.. and focused on the next single too quickly... 5 singles in less than a year...... really?

Katy's teenage dream went though most of 2010.. all of 2011.. and early 2012.. with what? 6 singles? CG,TD,FW,ET,LFN,TOTGA

Born this way smashed.. Judas was slow to smash.. dropped.. TEOG smashed.. but not hard enough.. ADELE erupted.. interscoped pushed YOU AND I to jump on a bandwagon.. did okay.. dropped.. MARRY THE NIGHT.. slow to smash.. dropped..

that's just horrible management from the label... they ****ed up the entire album cycle.. after born this way.. and gaga should have been allowed to do W.E the **** she wanted.. SHE IS WHY THE FAME MONSTER did as well as it did..

I feel like MTN, and even most of the album, is low quality. The vocals don't have that high quality, clear, beautiful sound that we got with The Fame and The Fame Monster. That goes for most of the album. And MTN is definitely very noisy. I love the song, but knew it wouldn't be very radio friendly.

I'm Chloe. Except the C and the L are silent.

Ambrosia

the video killed what ever likeability there was for the song

I think that radio stations just got tired of Gaga and hardly played Marry The Night

Nobody wants to sing about being a warrior queen.

Yes, yes, and yes. Thank you!

For people that don't "know" her the way we do... that video made absolutely no sense and casual fans weren't going to bother to try figuring it out.

Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others. -Socrates

I never found MTN single material is a great song but not single. But i like the cover and how she performed it live.

Der Meister

I don`t understand what would happen with this era, initially Marry the Night was supposed to be released as the first single! Could you imagine all the reactions and the melt downs was going to happen whent it wouldnt make n1?

PaperIz

It depressed me why it didn't get a lot of radio play. I was down right puzzled. It's a damn good song. I guess the public just didn't eat it up? I'm very sad it had to be that one because I love it so much.

rubytuesday

I've discussed this a bunch of times (because I love theorizing and talking about it!!) but I think the biggest issue with MTN wasn't with the song itself (because even a questionable single should be able to sell plenty if it comes from a popular artist) but with the album's momentum, which was completely screwed to hell by the time MTN rolled in.

I'm going to restrain myself from bursting into my normal song and dance on why BTW "failed"- I use quotation marks because it didn't fail in the sense that it wasn't successful, but, imo, it failed to accomplish what gaga wanted it to do- but the pacing of the album, the promo for the album, and the order of the singles made little sense.

anyway, i think that was one of the core explanations of MTN underperforming. there wasn't much hope for any single she could have released then.

3.) The public just didn't like the song. This one is a bit more difficult to decide. I could see why this theory would be considered though. At the time when Marry The Night was released, the top songs were generally of a much lighter, happier nature. Marry The Night is definitely a happy song, but it is riddled with tinges of darkness, something not many songs at the time included. Then again, most of Adele's album was of a depressing nature, and her singles generally performed with flying colors.

It's the song, and more specifically the noisy repetitive production. It didn't sound good to me the first few times I heard it, despite liking Gag and the lyrics. The lyrics aren't the problem, - the public can handing setting fire to the rain and lots of darkness and metaphor, if the bests are good.

bornthiswayD

I'm a big Stan, a little monster, but let me tell you something...

The first time that I heard Marry The Night on Farmville I was just like: what the hell is this? what the hell happened to lady gaga?

Because it is something different compared to the Fame Monster. Right now is my one favorite songs.

And I think the normal people they just thought the same. So I guess The public just didn't like the song.

And about the video, I think the whole prelude pathetique + The bad edition killed the song.

:coffee:

zNetworkMonster

The first time that I heard Marry The Night on Farmville I was just like: what the hell is this? what the hell happened to lady gaga?

Because it is something different compared to the Fame Monster. Right now is my one favorite songs.

And I think the normal people they just thought the same. So I guess The public just didn't like the song.

And about the video, I think the whole prelude pathetique + The bad edition killed the song.

MTE :worship:

Tommymonster44

It is very simple: Gaga (or the huge company behind her) didnt work that PAYOLA well enough. Reasons: She had written ARTPOP and didn´t want overexposure.

Hits are made hits by big record companies. Gaga wanted Born This Way (album) to be about the album, not about single sales. That is why BTW (song) was a hit and TEOG was a modearte hit

They wanted to put more emphasys on the album rather than on hit singles like every other basic bithc (KP, Rihanna...)

Hits do require the backing of record companies, and that's exactly the treatment Marry The Night got. Ellen appearance, Bambi Awards, Alan Carr, MTV European Music Awards, Grammy Nominations, and the New Years Eve Performance. Furthermore, the music video was anything but low budget. It obviously cost as much as any other Gaga music video. She even got her own TV special, A Very Gaga Thanksgiving, for crying out loud! The label released a remix album to boost sales, like usual, and even released one of the remixes to the radio to help boost spins.

Sorry, but that excuse doesn't work. Interscope gave their all for Marry The Night. People just didn't like it.

I'm sure we all know the tragic chart-related fate of our beloved Marry The Night. I know it's been discussed to death, and then some, but the question of why it happened is still up for debate. I obviously don't have all the answers, but I'd like to bring up a few points for discussion.

1.) It was the fifth single from one of the highest selling albums of the year. This does make some logical sense. If most of those who are interested already have the album and thus already have the song, if they aren't stans, why would they but it again? However, this does not explain the success of Adele's singles. Her album was the top selling album in 2011, and three out of four of her singles went #1 in numerous worldwide locations, and all four of her singles went at least platinum in the US. This is definitely not due to her stan population - she has nowhere near the number of stans GaGa has.

2.) It was released at a period when GaGa was severely overexposed. This is also a plausible theory. 2011 showed more performances, interviews, and other promotion than any other stage in GaGa's career up to that point. Yet this begs the question, why did Rihanna and Katy Perry still perform well chart-wise? Katy Perry's 6th single from Teenage Dream, The One That Got Away, was released in early October, and yet it still was a hit in the US, reaching #3. (It should be noted that all her previous efforts from the album went #1, so it wasn't as if this was her one hit from that album.) In late September, Rihanna had released her 27th single in six years with We Found Love, and we all know how big that one became. So this theory of overexposure, while still being a valid point, is questionable.

3.) The public just didn't like the song. This one is a bit more difficult to decide. I could see why this theory would be considered though. At the time when Marry The Night was released, the top songs were generally of a much lighter, happier nature. Marry The Night is definitely a happy song, but it is riddled with tinges of darkness, something not many songs at the time included. Then again, most of Adele's album was of a depressing nature, and her singles generally performed with flying colors.

4.) It was simply released at the wrong time of year. I think this is only true based on what actually occurred. Marry The Night didn't reach it's peak on Digital Songs and Pop Songs or Radio Songs until December 24th and January 7th, respectively, which implies that the oversaturation of Christmas and New Years songs drowned out any chances it had. Now, if it had taken off upon release, as I believe GaGa's team had planned, this wouldn't have really been a problem. It simply would have picked back up once all the madness died down. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

However, the song did have a few aspects in its favor, including, but not limited to:

- The song was the 3rd highest debut on Pop Songs in 2011 (#24) [Source]

- The Official Video garnered 5 million views in less then 48 hours [Source]

- The Official Video was viewed 10 million times in 5 days [Source]

- It's tied with Telephone for GaGa's 2nd highest ascent to #1 on Dance/Club Play Songs (5 weeks) [Source]

- Apparently, the single cover is (or was) the most viewed picture on Twitpic

So, this begs the question, what really did happen to Marry The Night? Discuss!

Just let it go, honey, just let it go. It didn't happen, it will not happen, and we can not turn back time. Not everything GaGa launches is meant to be a hit, anyways.

Marry the Night isn't THAT good.

Arturo

I somewhat agree. However when I heard Marry the Night for the first time I loved it, but thought to myself "This is so different. Will people accept it if it's released as a single later on?"

I think the song just wasn't catchy enough for the musically ignorant general public to like. It's my favorite song of all time and it's part of the reason why Born This Way makes The Fame Monster look so damn basic. The hook is a bit stale. The song would have been perfectly fine without "M-m-m-marry the night"

Archived