Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
sales

Is Joanne Gaga's most timeless album?

gagarox

Featured Posts

elijahfan

Sure, it has what many might consider her most timeless sound since it heavily relied on analog instruments. But I'm not gonna lie, as a whole, I don't think it will be regarded as very memorable in the long run...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Judas Society
59 minutes ago, JustJames said:

Why is it so important to this fanbase that Gaga's music remain "timeless" to such an obsessive degree? Gaga is an amazing legend because of the boundaries she pushed and risks she made as a popstar DURING THE TIME she released each of her songs and albums. Who the heck cares if The Fame 'aged like milk'? Why, yes, things that are a decade old do tend to, well, age. The trends she ushered in, the peaks she reached, the art she served, the concepts she pursued... none of that should be measured by how well they fit into TODAY'S sounds. 

Because people in 2030 won't be able to say that 'Sinner's Prayer' was from 2016 somehow makes it more... anything... than 'Pokerface' with its very late 2000s production? 

I don't come here to hate on any of Gaga's music or to argue/put down the opinions of other fans. This is merely my opinion: Joanne was a very calculated release that came at the end of a well-crafted, planned retreat that focused on highlighting Gaga as a vocalist and pure musician rather than a stunt-driven fad. ARTPOP had made it clear that she had no upward trajectory in that route, and the reinvention was clearly successful since we are today hyping a major hit in Stupid Love. But, Joanne was NOT organic, it was NOT personal. It was just as manufactured as every other era and album she has released. 

A commercial album release was needed to conclude her reinvention, and allow her to pivot. It ultimately led to ASIB and its massive impact on her and her career. ASIB would not have been viable with ARTPOP having been the GP's last memory of her. Was Joanne's sound stripped back? Yes. It was meant to showcase her instrumental and vocal talents. Was it personal? No. Stefani was born and raised in NYC, has roots in jazz and theater. She defined the era by taking on a character named after her late aunt Joanne, reinterpreted as a cowboy-hat wearing, guitar-rocking bluesy southern badass. Perfect Illusion was promoted by relating it to social media; despite her 2nd single failing to hit the Top 10 of the Hot 100, they didn't even attempt to revive the era with a 3rd single after it had some life breathed into it via the Superbowl which propelled Million Reasons to #4.

The LP had done its job and they moved on. 

We have The Fame, which documented her craze for fame, some of the struggles that come with it such as the loss of love and innocence, and superficial nature. TFM, with its ode to her father's alcoholism in Speechless and other monsters in Bad Romance, Monster, and DITD. BTW, with its "rising from the ashes" anthems and toast to her grandfather's life in Edge of Glory. 

I stan a legend who isn't afraid to release something that will become 'dated.' TF/TFM revolutionized pop music of 2008-2010; if it all ended then, maybe it'd matter. But, she has shown that she can keep evolving. 

I agree with you to a certain degree. I agree that it may be calculated to a certain degree that she needed to tone down her image for the GP with LG5, which was probably why original LG5 was scrapped and replaced with Joanne.

But I think, no matter how calculated a move is, she will always put her heart into making whatever genre of music into her own personal style. We stan a musically talented powerhouse who is trained in the classics so there's no reason why she won't take a genre of music and craft her personal music around it.

TF/TFM/BTW was fearless because that's all she was going for. In other words, you can say she was calculating to be famous so she needed something to make her famous. She needed something that people will keep talking about in regards to her. So that people will pay attention and then she can bring her message to people in her art.

Same with Joanne. She lost that attention. She had to gain that attention again, drawing people back to her to send them another message is that she's not all hardcore, satanic and a little psychotic. She has that soft side in her that revolves around her family. Who's to say people who loves all things darkness need to be completely evil and lose connection to family values that makes them look soft and weak? That's created by vulnerable people who hides behind being dark and unapproachable so that people see them as strong.

My point is, in every genre that Gaga experiments music with, she will always make it personal for herself. It's her art. It's got to be personal to her point of view.

And Joanne being timeless, it's because anyone can relate to the message at any one point in their lives when they listen to it. It will be in their playlist for whatever **** they are going through and needed some sort of music to keep them going. BTW is a close second because the message reaffirms the marginalized that they are not lesser than the others, so it will be played when we feel like we are being shunned, when we need that boost of confidence to tell ourselves that we are not inferior.

TF/TFM ? I only listen to it when I'm already on top of the world wanting to dance. I don't know about Chromatica. I suspect it could be like TF/TFM, but after Joanne and ASIB, I'd like to believe she can incorporate more meaning into her music than SL. SL is just a fun track for people to dance to, very much in line to TF/TFM. It just didn't have that editorial story like TF/TFM was crafted around. So we'll see.

Modern Ecstasy2

For me it’s TFM

“Delete this thread that person is not Gaga he is a hot blonde twink”

RichAssPiss

I honestly think all of Gaga's albums are timeless because while each has obvious references to styles and periods none truly sounded exactly like what was popular at that time. 

moonboywow
Just now, Bio said:

Anyone saying TFM is delusional as **** lol. That album SCREAMS 2009

It's just nostalgia being mistaken for being timeless. 

Arizona Sky

Yes, by definition it's the most timeless. The album could be released in 1980 or 2040 and still not sound out of place.

All her other albums on the other hand are geared towards a time period due to the electronic sound. Doesn't mean it's her best album, but it's her most timeless for sure

10 hours ago, skedaddleBItCh said:

You heard it right, Joanne is her most timeless album:ohwell:

Lets just pretend both Joanne and ARTPOP never happen can we please?! :icega:

TRUMP 2020

RickMonster98

i'm sorry but no

it's a very great album and some tracks do sound timeless, but many others don't :sis:

her most timeless album to me is "The Fame Monster", more than 10 years later and i can't skip a single track 

RickMonster98
7 hours ago, Bio said:

Anyone saying TFM is delusional as **** lol. That album SCREAMS 2009

TFM screams ICONICNESS, it aged PERFECTLY

giphy.gif

brucee

you know maybe in like ten years it will feel like new wave feels. I mean, our perception of a sound changes with time it's not good or bad. But I think... Bad Romance. 

hello hello baby.

erfaan

No. Honestly so much of it sounds so dated and awkward. I feel she was trying to cram too many things into the album thematically and it doesn't hold up as much as she thinks it does. John Wayne, Perfect Illusion, Million Reasons and Diamond Heart and the one songs that have not aged

FentyGa

it may not be her best, but it’s her most timeless, for sure. it’s the least pop, which helps because pop usually sounds like the year it came out. born this way is a close second just because it was unique for the time, but songs like judas and hair make it sound a bit 2011.

dont get me wrong, i love pop music (duh, i stan gaga). ARTPOP is my favourite album, but it sounds like 2013 because EDM was the trend at the time. moreso 2012 but that’s another convo

Archived