Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
event

J.LO & Shakira Half Time Show (2020)

RAMROD

Featured Posts

StrawberryBlond
Just now, Morphine Prince said:

She is American and Puerto Rico is actually a US territory. 

She can do whatever she wants with the flags. 

I already said previously that I realise it's a US territory but it's still its own country with its own flag and I think most would consider it to be doing its own thing. It doesn't bother me what someone chooses to do with flags but so many people, especially Americans, are very particular about stuff like this and is quick to call out any "desecration" of their flag. I'm just surprised it hasn't caused more of a controversy.

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morphine Prince
5 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I already said previously that I realise it's a US territory but it's still its own country with its own flag and I think most would consider it to be doing its own thing. It doesn't bother me what someone chooses to do with flags but so many people, especially Americans, are very particular about stuff like this and is quick to call out any "desecration" of their flag. I'm just surprised it hasn't caused more of a controversy.

We don’t care. She is from PR so naturally she’d have it. It’s also a political message about PR. 

JusKeepBreathin
2 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Amazingly entertaining and a large selection of songs which I wasn't expecting. I also didn't think each of them were going to get equal time (thought Jen would totally get more). Shakira's inclusion of Empire was surprising but welcome as I thought she'd limit it to just the big US hits. I thought her dancing, while not quite as amazing as Jen's, was much more joyous and authentic. Shakira's always been good at being sexy without showing too much and I feel Jen's sadly behind on that front, still thinking she needs skimpy costumes, crotch thrusting and suggestive movements. Loved the setlist, though was a bit thrown by inclusions of other people's songs with the I Like It and Taki Taki segments. Makes me wonder if the artists behind those songs were a bit put out that they weren't asked as guest acts? I thought for a wild moment that Cardi was going to show up when I Like It started kicking in! I think the political bit at the end with the flag was a bit too on the nose, not that I'm against Puerto Rican pride but to wear that and then start singing Born in the USA just seemed like a bit of a piss take considering that J-Lo was born in Puerto Rico. It may be a US dependency or wherever you want to call it but its still its own country.

But overall, loved it. Amazing moment for 2 Latinas to do this at such a politically charged time. And of course, it was head and shoulders above the travesty last year. Its picked up more views in less than 24 hours than Maroon 5's show has picked up in a year and more than JT's show has in 2 years!

Lol so belly dancing isn't suggestive or sexy?Also Shakira has thrust her hips way more times in her career than JLo. She's been doing that dance since way back. Every concert of hers has it. 

J.Lo was not born in Puerto Rico. I can't tell if you are racist or ignorant. The comments you made are easily researchable and blantantly xenophobic. 

If you hate JLo that much that is fine because it's an opinion and you are entitled to your opinion, but you don't get offend an entire group of people who are all American by birth. And to be so shamelessly flippant with the, "what ever you want to call it," is disgusting. What is wrong with you? 

People get so incomprehensibly ignorant when they try to hate on JLo. I don't understand it. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

21 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I get its meaning and all but to sing Born In The USA while holding any other flag aloft is more than a bit of a faux pas. In America, this is also considered highly offensive to many. It's a bit controversial to try it, basically. And sorry, I could've sworn that she was born in Puerto Rico, but yeah, she was born in the Bronx but to Puerto Rican parents. I probably got her mixed up with someone else but I always thought she moved to the US as a very young child. Should've thought that over more before posting it.

The U.S. Flag was on the outside tho 

And on the kids shirts

She literally wrapped herself in both flags :bradley:

Plus singing Springsteen and getting loud is as American as it I'm comes lol

I think all of us can agree that PR  and all Latin Americans deserve whatever boost to the spirit this show was obviously met to give

200.gif

200.gif200.gif.

Puerto Rico Facts GIF by VH1

"She's an intellectual, your honor"

StrawberryBlond
1 hour ago, Morphine Prince said:

We don’t care. She is from PR so naturally she’d have it. It’s also a political message about PR. 

I get it. I just think it was a very bold statement to make. It also just focuses on one Latin country when the whole point up until now had been inclusion and this moment wasn't relatable to anyone who wasn't Puerto Rican. Shakira didn't need to bring up Colombia.

1 hour ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

Lol so belly dancing isn't suggestive or sexy?Also Shakira has thrust her hips way more times in her career than JLo. She's been doing that dance since way back. Every concert of hers has it. 

J.Lo was not born in Puerto Rico. I can't tell if you are racist or ignorant. The comments you made are easily researchable and blantantly xenophobic. 

If you hate JLo that much that is fine because it's an opinion and you are entitled to your opinion, but you don't get offend an entire group of people who are all American by birth. And to be so shamelessly flippant with the, "what ever you want to call it," is disgusting. What is wrong with you? 

People get so incomprehensibly ignorant when they try to hate on JLo. I don't understand it.

Bellydancing isn't meant to be suggestive or sexy, it was a dance designed for pregnant women to do in all-female groups. We just sexualised it a bit more over time. I used to do bellydancing, it's a great example of how to be sexy without letting it all hang out. Shakira's always been good at more subtle forms of sexuality (apart from that awfully tawdry She Wolf video, of course) and can be far sexier with a crop top than being half naked. Even when she was shaking it with her legs spread, I still felt weirdly comfortable watching it with my parents. J-Lo's super high cut outfit and almost touching her crotch, not so much.

I clarified that I'd mixed her up with someone else when I said she was born in PR before. I apologised for the error. Just because we make a mistake based on an assumption we should've looked into more doesn't make us intolerant, there's nothing "blatant" about it.

I don't really hate her at all (her personality is another matter), but I've always enjoyed her music and praised her dance skills. She can even sing real good when she really tries. I've got nothing against her as a performer, I was wanting her to do the SB for a long time. I'm not saying I was offended by what she did, just commenting that others could be. I wasn't trying to be flippant, I just didn't know the right term for the status of PR's independence status and didn't know if "US dependency" was the right term, so made it clear that there could be a better term that I'm unaware of.

I'm really not incomprehensibly ignorant. You just see an opinion that doesn't align with yours.

1 hour ago, KNJ said:

The U.S. Flag was on the outside tho 

And on the kids shirts

She literally wrapped herself in both flags :bradley:

Plus singing Springsteen and getting loud is as American as it I'm comes lol

I think all of us can agree that PR  and all Latin Americans deserve whatever boost to the spirit this show was obviously met to give

200.gif

200.gif200.gif.

Puerto Rico Facts GIF by VH1

I don't have a problem with any of it, I keep saying. I just thought unnecessarily focusing on Puerto Rico wasn't quite right and I was surprised more people weren't offended by the blending of the flags at an American event. It's just surprise that more didn't come of it, even if I don't think it was any big deal.

Morphine Prince
1 minute ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I get it. I just think it was a very bold statement to make. It also just focuses on one Latin country when the whole point up until now had been inclusion and this moment wasn't relatable to anyone who wasn't Puerto Rican. Shakira didn't need to bring up Colombia.

It actually was. A a fellow Latino I am happy to see representation for any country. 

Shakira didn’t mention Colombia but she performed many traditional Colombian dances. J Balvin mentioned Colombia as well. 

Latinos in the US have a sense of unity. Seeing Shakir and J. Lo representing all different types of cultures made me very proud. 

LOL I really didn't think I'd still be replying to this but every answer prompts a new question :oprah:

1 hour ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Even when she was shaking it with her legs spread, I still felt weirdly comfortable watching it with my parents. J-Lo's super high cut outfit and almost touching her crotch, not so much.

Lol how old are you? Your parents don't know bout illusion mesh :ladyhaha:

It also just focuses on one Latin country when the whole point up until now had been inclusion and this moment wasn't relatable to anyone who wasn't Puerto Rican. Shakira didn't need to bring up Colombia.

I just thought unnecessarily focusing on Puerto Rico wasn't quite right and I was surprised more people weren't offended by the blending of the flags at an American event

The thing is JLo simply rep'd where she came from. Not just with flag, flags actually, but in the entire themes and songs in their performances. This was full Latin love on display....from an American woman. She's from ( "from") PR, so she rep'd  PR. :shrug: And Shakira doesn't ever need to say she's from Columbia, she shouts it out in her song from day one. How did you know when was from Columbia? Cuz I knew through song I heard for years 😄. She reps Columbia/Latin America in everything she does. Just like JLo with PR. Thinking of it: Didnt U2 have Irish and U.S. flag during their halftime? Did Europeans feel a way when they rep'd?

I am not Latin American, but I am first generation American. What I've found is that when one of "us" makes it, we all make it in a way. This show was awesome to see and I felt included. It resonated as an immigrants child. This is an immigrant country so... I had no prob with it.

I don't know where you are in the US, or your race or ethnicity, but in the NY/NJ area, we are a melting pot. And one way to keep a connection to the old country is to keep repping it. Keep showing people we --your people-- are out here. There are bumper stickers, flags big and small, shirts, keychains, bandanas, air fresheners, patches, medallions, jacket linings...like its all here and not adversarial. Unless ppl wanna be a-holes.

It's pride. It's visibility. It's letting people know they're not alone. All immigrants, I feel, know/do this.

BUT...repping one place does not equate to sh!tting on others.If ppl from other Latin countries are upset in any way, they are being petty and unreasonable. Her PR pride is by extension Latin pride. 

By spotlighting a country and population that has been severely neglected, and largely forgotten,  or are under attack right now is inclusion.

"She's an intellectual, your honor"

JustYouandI
59 minutes ago, Mariano said:

This already has 62M views, I-  :cryga:

Just another example of Latin excellence and relevance. We rule Youtube.

Chromichiga
On 2/2/2020 at 9:51 AM, pachinko said:

Will they outdo Gaga? :firega:

I think they’re two way different performances but honestly, I think I favor J Lo and Shakira’s and I thought I would nevaaaa

pachinko
2 hours ago, Jaume said:

Disappointed, no live singing.  

Who cares. They danced their assess of and entertained us to the heavens. Madonna can seathe. 

RenegAde
22 minutes ago, Glitter Way said:

It already surpassed the views of Gaga's HTS!

Who cares ,Youtube views doesn't really matter when it comes to half time shows 

4 hours ago, pachinko said:

Who cares. They danced their assess of and entertained us to the heavens. Madonna can seathe. 

I care period. Gaga also cared and that's why she sang live.

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived