J.LO & Shakira Half Time Show (2020)

RAMROD

Featured Posts

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gimme More

They really killed it :bradley:

i loved the dancing, probably my favourite Super Bowl performance.

#JusticeForBritney ♡

They killed it, the dancing, the stage, the songs, the costumes... I would have traded Maluma for Bad Bunny to have the original version of Chantaje but oh well lol, over amazing!
(Watching this made me feel like Gaga needs to step up her choreo game tbh)

GreenDiamond
7 hours ago, KNJ said:

Here's the thing:

It's not a matter of "not being allowed" by the producers to have the whole show to oneself. 

It is about  logistics. Going hard as a motherf#cker for 16 minutes non-stop is EFFING INSANE!

The halftime is a high-octane endurance excercise. You are expected to give 110% every single second. A performer seen out of breath, slowing down, not committing, not snapping every move or lagging in any way, just ain't it. Y'all didn't setup VPN to see a hyperventilating queen did you :ohwell:

So... options bring in a surprise guest or two. It hypes the crowd up and creates a 15 second to 2 minute  air break. Maybe insert a costume change too. Be slick and smart with the choreo, be wise with order of songs, staggering tempos to give the performer a break.

JLo sharing with Shakira was very wise because they could tag team this. They were able to each give 110% and keep energy very high every time they were on stage because they weren't on stage the entire time.

Yes, Gaga did the halftime completely solo, but this is very uncommon for the above reasons.

Not every performer has the same skill set but through smart choreo and production choices they're able to survive. Gaga has ridiculous breath control but you can see where her "breaks" were snuck in. She had a costume change ( that's duh tho), obvi the slow down in Million Reasons was greatly needed, and one of the most iconic moment of her halftime was Graham picking her up during Telephone. Wtf was that? That was stealing a handful of seconds where her body could stop moving.  It was a truly Gaga rest break. That whole transition from the no dancing keytar break during Just Dance through Million Reasons can be seen as the "lull" designed  to let her gather herself before going HAM for Bad Romance.

JLo and Shakira were only able to give us quality energetic performances because they shared the work. They drafted each other.

wow thanks for this insight! I never looked in those perfomances this way

really great analysis! :vegas:

StrawberryBlond

Amazingly entertaining and a large selection of songs which I wasn't expecting. I also didn't think each of them were going to get equal time (thought Jen would totally get more). Shakira's inclusion of Empire was surprising but welcome as I thought she'd limit it to just the big US hits. I thought her dancing, while not quite as amazing as Jen's, was much more joyous and authentic. Shakira's always been good at being sexy without showing too much and I feel Jen's sadly behind on that front, still thinking she needs skimpy costumes, crotch thrusting and suggestive movements. Loved the setlist, though was a bit thrown by inclusions of other people's songs with the I Like It and Taki Taki segments. Makes me wonder if the artists behind those songs were a bit put out that they weren't asked as guest acts? I thought for a wild moment that Cardi was going to show up when I Like It started kicking in! I think the political bit at the end with the flag was a bit too on the nose, not that I'm against Puerto Rican pride but to wear that and then start singing Born in the USA just seemed like a bit of a piss take considering that J-Lo was born in Puerto Rico. It may be a US dependency or wherever you want to call it but its still its own country.

But overall, loved it. Amazing moment for 2 Latinas to do this at such a politically charged time. And of course, it was head and shoulders above the travesty last year. Its picked up more views in less than 24 hours than Maroon 5's show has picked up in a year and more than JT's show has in 2 years!

7 hours ago, LetsGetHigh said:

The performance felt so empty cause there was so much happening at such a fast pace.  

Halftime is supposed to feel like a little bump cocaine. Gotta rally for that last half babyyyy! :spin:

"She's an intellectual, your honor"

RepentingSinner
Just now, KNJ said:

mrs doubtfire the whole time GIF

At least 90%. Live exclamations here and there and finishing some lines. but yeah. most is just a prerecorded track.

I loved it! Jennifer's part was a bit more entertaining but they both killed it.
I also never realized that I know so many of their songs, I thought I only knew 2/3 songs of each of them but I knew them all by heart 

1 hour ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I think the political bit at the end with the flag was a bit too on the nose, not that I'm against Puerto Rican pride but to wear that and then start singing Born in the USA just seemed like a bit of a piss take considering that J-Lo was born in Puerto Rico. It may be a US dependency or wherever you want to call it but its still its own country.

I think it was more a comment about or nod to the Dreamers. All the children singing Let's Get Loud with US flags on their shirts kinda speaks to that and it being Miami and all. 

If theres a Puerto Rican celebrating anywhere, the PR flag will always makes its cameo  :D

puerto rico grammys 2016 GIF by Recording Academy / GRAMMYs

If not JLo, if not halftime, if not Miami, if not a massive feathered cape...then wtf are we doing ?

And JLo was born in the Bronx. Who said PR?

"She's an intellectual, your honor"

StrawberryBlond
2 minutes ago, KNJ said:

I think it was more a comment about or nod to the Dreamers. All the children singing Let's Get Loud with US flags on their shirts kinda speaks to that and it being Miami and all. 

If theres a Puerto Rican celebrating anywhere, the PR flag will always makes its cameo  :D

puerto rico grammys 2016 GIF by Recording Academy / GRAMMYs

If not JLo, if not halftime, if not Miami, if not a massive feathered cape...then wtf are we doing ?

And JLo was born in the Bronx. Who said PR?

I get its meaning and all but to sing Born In The USA while holding any other flag aloft is more than a bit of a faux pas. In America, this is also considered highly offensive to many. It's a bit controversial to try it, basically. And sorry, I could've sworn that she was born in Puerto Rico, but yeah, she was born in the Bronx but to Puerto Rican parents. I probably got her mixed up with someone else but I always thought she moved to the US as a very young child. Should've thought that over more before posting it.

Morphine Prince
Just now, StrawberryBlond said:

I get its meaning and all but to sing Born In The USA while holding any other flag aloft is more than a bit of a faux pas. In America, this is also considered highly offensive to many. It's a bit controversial to try it, basically. And sorry, I could've sworn that she was born in Puerto Rico, but yeah, she was born in the Bronx but to Puerto Rican parents. I probably got her mixed up with someone else but I always thought she moved to the US as a very young child. Should've thought that over more before posting it.

She is American and Puerto Rico is actually a US territory. 

She can do whatever she wants with the flags. 

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived