Cats’ Headed for $100 Million Box Office Loss

MessyTop

Featured Posts

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reality
Just now, nenhures said:

If anything positive is to come out of all this mess is that maybe combined with all the critical bombs Disney put out lately, big movie studios are going to lose a bit of their dominance in the industry and less unnecessary live-action and/or poorly thought-out remakes are going to be made.

This is wishful thinking though, especially considering the amount of box office money Disney made despite their movies being so bad and at the end of the day money trumps acclaim in the business world but who knows. Monopolies like Disney and Universal need to lose their reign ASAP.

I disagree. I think that while this may give studios hesitancy about doing remakes, if anything, this just shows that the only studio that can  do a remake successfully is Disney. Now personally, I don't have a problem with the live action remakes. To be honest, I enjoyed The Lion King (2019), for what it was. 

What this comes down to is that studios need to learn how to fight smarter and harder by making genuinely good and engaging content. Look, Disney certainly has the largest share of any other studio in the industry (I'd say Warner Bros. is second, Universal isn't a monopoly as you described it), but also, other studios have the properties to try and take Disney down, but aren't doing a whole lot to use them. 

I'm a Disney fan/lover myself, but if studios really want to compete, they need to start thinking smarter about the movies they make. Look at Warner Bros. with Joker. It's the highest grossing R-rated movie of all time, and it's also the most profitable comic book movie of all time. Other studios can do it.

🃏🖤👹

candy3879
1 minute ago, M Monstre said:

I disagree. I think that while this may give studios hesitancy about doing remakes, if anything, this just shows that the only studio that can  do a remake successfully is Disney. Now personally, I don't have a problem with the live action remakes. To be honest, I enjoyed The Lion King (2019), for what it was. 

What this comes down to is that studios need to learn how to fight smarter and harder by making genuinely good and engaging content. Look, Disney certainly has the largest share of any other studio in the industry (I'd say Warner Bros. is second, Universal isn't a monopoly as you described it), but also, other studios have the properties to try and take Disney down, but aren't doing a whole lot to use them. 

I'm a Disney fan/lover myself, but if studios really want to compete, they need to start thinking smarter about the movies they make. Look at Warner Bros. with Joker. It's the highest grossing R-rated movie of all time, and it's also the most profitable comic book movie of all time. Other studios can do it.

Yeah, you're right actually.

I don't have a problem with live-action remakes or remakes altogether at all, just when they're done lazily which is part of the reason why so many of them receive little to no critical acclaim and hopefully with Cats being this box office bomb studios will get the memo.

I'm a big fan of a lot of Disney's intellectual properties, just not very fond of Disney as a conglomerate. Their utter dominance and the fact that they keep acquiring more and more properties can become quite limiting and problematic very quickly and that's where the problem lies. Maybe that'll change in the next decade but we'll see.

edengowon
20 minutes ago, LaLuna said:

Beautiful Ghosts wasn't shortlisted for Best Original Song so... guess the Academy is also beyond help :trollga:

it is :ally:

the artist formerly known as melancholia

Pop Music

I personally absolutely loved and not just because i'm a swiftie 

Gaga 💝Taylor 💝Carly Rae 💝Rina 💝MARINA 💝Britney💝Lights 💝Shania 💝Sigrid💝

Daylight Jokers
1 hour ago, Autumn said:

if ya'll don't think beautiful ghosts deserves an oscar then... you're beyond help

Taylor's got better songs  lyrically and sonically tbh. Beautiful Ghosts was anticlimactic. That's just my opinion though.

StrawberryBlond

So, the CGI was bad because they hurried things to meet the deadline? Wow, that's very unprofessional. Granted, I know delaying the film would also have looked unprofessional but nothing screams lack of professionalism more than turning in a blatantly un-finished, imperfect movie. If you make it good, the wait will be worth it. Looks like the loss is going to be even bigger than originally anticipated, I just saw $71 million predictions recently. Apparently, the executives really tried to use Taylor extensively in advertising and promo appearances to make people go to see it as they thought, with the biggest fanbase, she was their best bet for an audience turn-out. This was all despite the fact that she's barely in the film. But even the manipulative advertising was enough either.

1 hour ago, M Monstre said:

I mean, it always sucks for people involved when movies do poorly at the box office, but like, is it bad that I kind of love this....?

Since the first trailer, I've really disliked, downright, hated this movie. It's just a movie that no one asked for, and it's crazy that those at the top didn't think that this would end terribly. 

Everyone involved in this is crazy rich, so it's not like anyone's out on the streets, so my sympathy levels are low. Agreed, no one asked for this, least of all the fans of the original stage show. I doubt the majority of them even saw this. From what I've heard, the people who did go were those who were fans of one of the actors or people who wanted to see it for the lols. But nothing genuine, that's for sure. Before the first trailer came out, before it was revealed that there was going to be a storyline and dialogue, before the full cast list had even been released, I knew instantly from the first announcement that this was a terrible idea that was going to be a disaster. As someone who saw the original, I knew this was a deeply theatrical concept that simply wouldn't work off-stage, especially if it potentially involved CGI. And its a long show into the bargain, plus storyline and dialogue would make it even longer and I see it's 110 minutes. Why none of the bigwigs heard this concept and alarm bells didn't immediately go off in their heads is anyone's guess. I suppose movie companies have got so cocky now that they believe they can sell any piece of s**t, so long as they market it correctly. Moments like this delight me when the public shows the 1% that no, we won't be conned and manipulated, we're not stupid and we do have free will.

Alannah

DAME JUDI DENCH HAD HECKING REGULAR HUMAN HANDS AND NOT ON PURPOSE. THIS MOVIE WAS AWFUL AND I WANT TO OWN AT LEAST 6 COPIES ON BLU-RAY.

Tbh, tho - Taylor and J. Hud were the best performances in the film for me,  but they're not going to save it.

I kinda wanna go see it because it’s so bad. Imagine it becoming a hit because everyone does the same :ladyhaha:

4 hours ago, FlopSlurper said:

Tay doesn't sing it in the movie and the actress that sings it ruined it, so I'm not surprised why it wasn't shortlisted

Well the Academy doesn’t analyze the film version, they analyze Taylor’s version and they decided it was crap :huntyga:

FlopSlurper
1 hour ago, Bio said:

Well the Academy doesn’t analyze the film version, they analyze Taylor’s version and they decided it was crap :huntyga:

and your source is? the song isnt in the movie why would it be the one submitted :lmao:

1 hour ago, FlopSlurper said:

and your source is? the song isnt in the movie why would it be the one submitted :lmao:

It was the one submitted. 

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/movies/8543503/oscars-2020-songs-scores-nominations-predictions

and it was nominated for the Golden Globes. They won’t nominated a nobody for the Oscars lol, why do you think there is a Taylor version?

Archived