💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Unreleased songs, do artists have rights to put them out?

Lighter

Featured Posts

I guess they would just have to go through the same process as releasing an actual studio album. With songwriters, producers and the labels involved, I'm sure there would have to be agreements all the way around... depending on the wording of contracts and all of the legal stuff.

There are select artists I wish would release an album of rarities and b-sides. I wish it was more of a thing. Also, it would keep a lid on leaks. Don't have to worry about it if it's already out there and you're getting paid for it.

Under some artists' contracts with their labels, anything they create while signed to the label is OWNED by the label. I think this was the main reason why the Kendrick Lamar collaborations "Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe" and "Partynauseous" fell out, was because even though the individuals (Kendrick and Gaga) were working on it, their efforts/appearances were still OWNED by their respective labels, who couldn't reach an agreement.

I'm still not sure if it was an industry in-joke, but I believe this is also why Gaga's appearance in her Simpsons episode is introduced as "Appearing courtesy of Interscope Records, Lady Gaga!"

Archived