Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
question

Is Katy In A Worse Place Than Gaga Was?

ThisGuyTony

Featured Posts

Inferno
17 hours ago, Ikvs said:

Not really, the name 'Lady Gaga' was almost forgotten around her lowest, she wasn't considered a pop girl at all. I think Katy is holding up well in the pop scene to be honest.

How are you glossing over the immense success of Shallow and ASIB though? Shallow is a pop song. No original soundtrack single would be expected to be as big as Shallow was, especially by Lady Gaga whom most people had written off to a certain degree. Yet it was able to snatch a top 10 to number 1 position not just in the US but in multiple countries worldwide.

I'd argue that as far as image goes and being able to bounce back from charting low with little fallout, Katy fares a lot better than Gaga. But if were being technical here, because of ASIB Gaga has held up better compared to Katys most recent 2 eras.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Inferno said:

How are you glossing over the immense success of Shallow and ASIB though? Shallow is a pop song. No original soundtrack single would be expected to be as big as Shallow was, especially by Lady Gaga whom most people had written off to a certain degree. Yet it was able to snatch a top 10 to number 1 position not just in the US but in multiple countries worldwide.

I'd argue that as far as image goes and being able to bounce back from charting low with little fallout, Katy fares a lot better than Gaga. But if were being technical here, because of ASIB Gaga has held up better compared to Katys most recent 2 eras.

I was talking about Gaga's lowest point which to me, doesn't include ASIB era because that was a really big hit, I don't include even Joanne. To me it's around ARTPOP and her silence after DWUW.

Inferno
2 minutes ago, Ikvs said:

I was talking about Gaga's lowest point which to me, doesn't include ASIB era because that was a really big hit, I don't include even Joanne. To me it's around ARTPOP and her silence after DWUW.

Hmm I guess so but imo Applause, although its success was fleeting comparative to her past hits and ultimately not very relevant post-2013, was a much more omnipresent single than Katy has had in her lowest points thus far. Applause was a lot more inescapable than Chained and anything thats come after it. Although Katys subsequent singles got more viral attention for being cringeworthy (Swish Swish//Bon Appetit). I just think as far as like her image goes or whatever, even if people arent interested in her, no ones like mad at her or going out of their way to hate on her as they do and continue to with gaga.

MonsterofFame

I don't think Katy is in a worse place. The media/GP haven't labeled her a "flop" yet, despite not having a successful single in a few years. Nobody dislikes Katy, they're just not interested in what she's putting out.

Gaga on the other hand, had many people (media, GP, celebs, fanbases, etc.) who made an effort to criticize, mock, and discourage her before her commercial comeback.

MonsterDad
18 hours ago, ThisGuyTony said:

So is Katy in a worse place commercially than Gaga ever was?:gum:

tenor.gif

She's married to me but her heart belongs to Gaga

Tbh no, after the ARTPOP era Gaga had so many things to fall back on (AHS, Joanne, Super Bowl, ASIB, C2C) Katy doesn't seem to really have any of those things. I don't know if people take her serious enough to go into acting and i tough NRO was her come back but it keeps getting worse. These harassment claims aren't helping either.

Gaga Ooh Lala

Actually I keep hearing people comment on Katy as annoying and a try hard both online and irl. Lady Gaga was never meant to be a well-liked celebrity. She started very controversial. They're on opposite trajectories. Whereas Gaga has slowly but surelt gained the GP's adoration and respect, Katy's losing them.

JustTea
22 hours ago, doppelganger said:

Financially no, she made more money than Gaga even in the successful ASIB era. It is what it is. 

We don't have correct numbers of Gaga's earnings from 2018, just estimates...which means she could have easily gotten a lot more money from ASIB, since it did so well.

Katy is super talented, Witness has sold 3.2M of copies worldwide. The problem now here is that it was not his best era. Never Really Over was her chance to resurface but neither she nor Capitol Records did promotion. Now she must recover with Harley's in Hawaii. Sadly Katy is going through the same thing as Gaga and is slowly regaining her place in the industry. It is important to accept that Katy is attacked by the fandom itself without first receiving their support and that is bad.

Versace
On 9/2/2019 at 6:06 AM, Sugden said:

she is doing fine money wise

but her musical career really died, whats even strange is that she does the most safe music ever.

I think that's the problem, I think all the main pop girls have distinctive shifts in their eras. They all changed things up, at least one time during their career. Katy has always followed the same formula more or less, eventually people will tire from it. 

Think about how

Gaga had a major shift from TF to TFM and then took a risk with BTW and ARTPOP, and then Joanne/ASIB.

Britney went from bubbly BOMT to In The Zone/Blackout 

Beyonce released visual albums with culturally impacting  storylines

Rihanna had a dark phase with Rated R, then went back to color with LOUD and then changed her sound with ANTi

Taylor went from Country to Pop, basically changing her entire sound and then got dark with reputation (which was shocking for america's sweetheart)

Meanwhile Katy has played it too safe and although Witness tried to sell itself as something out of the box for her, the music was essentially the same. CTTR the lead could easily be on TD or Prism. How diff was Prism to Teenage Dream really? At the end of the day her sound remained the same, she never really took risks with her career and that's why the public are done with her sadly. 

Miracle
On 9/2/2019 at 4:11 AM, Ronk said:

Katy has so many fans she could have a comeback at any time, imo.   She just needs the right song at the right moment.  Given her fanbase, I don't think she's in a worse position.  

Katy's fanbase is smaller than Gaga's lol.

_____

To answer the question, yes. ARTPOP still sold decently and Joanne had the Super Bowl gig, as well as another top 4 hit and is currently 2x platinum in the US.

1 hour ago, Miracle said:

Katy's fanbase is smaller than Gaga's lol.

_____

To answer the question, yes. ARTPOP still sold decently and Joanne had the Super Bowl gig, as well as another top 4 hit and is currently 2x platinum in the US.

Yes, but she still has a large fanbase, even if smaller than Gaga's.  The key is that people like Katy and would like to see her come back.  Back at Gaga's lowest point Gaga was not popular and so many people wanted her to fail.

Both Gaga and Katy are nice, kind, likeable people, but people didn't see that in Gaga.  Imo, the haters and the media spread hate about Gaga and the public believed it.  I don't think the public was swayed that way against Katy.

I live outside the space time continuum.

• 2 months later...
JustTea
On 9/4/2019 at 10:43 PM, milgmb said:

Katy is super talented, Witness has sold 3.2M of copies worldwide. The problem now here is that it was not his best era. Never Really Over was her chance to resurface but neither she nor Capitol Records did promotion. Now she must recover with Harley's in Hawaii. Sadly Katy is going through the same thing as Gaga and is slowly regaining her place in the industry. It is important to accept that Katy is attacked by the fandom itself without first receiving their support and that is bad.

Actually Witness had sold 2.2M copies worldwide by June 2019. :awkney:

https://chartmasters.org/2019/06/katy-perry-albums-and-songs-sales/

Archived