Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Rosa Parks Barbie Doll coming

SissyFromSpace

Featured Posts

migamiga

EDIT: ok nvm if it’s used for educational purposes i guess it’s cute. But the thread title just made me a cringe a little

JustinTrudeau

They even got the baby hair included. I love it, details like that matter  :wub:

I fell down the stairs once as an actor.

1 hour ago, kyanewest said:

I don't think there can be a debate about this. Dolls don't really matter, there are dolls of every ethnicity but the white ones are more prominent, but it changes nothing overall what doll you play with, as a kid it's just a tool for your own imagination

:fail:Everything you put in front of a child shapes their interpretation of the world and how it works. Seeing yourself reflected in places and forms that occupy your world matters. Hence, Visibility matters. Diversity matters. 

Not being able to see yourself in the faces on toys or on tv or in certain occupations -- race,gender, etc-- has a profound effect on what you imagine you can be/do.

If you can see it, you can do it.

"She's an intellectual, your honor"

10 minutes ago, KNJ said:

:fail:Everything you put in front of a child shapes their interpretation of the world and how it works. Seeing yourself reflected in places and forms that occupy your world matters. Hence, Visibility matters. Diversity matters. 

Not being able to see yourself in the faces on toys or on tv or in certain occupations -- race,gender, etc-- has a profound effect on what you imagine you can be/do.

If you can see it, you can do it.

I can only speak for myself but playing with blonde Barbie dolls didn't really shape who I was as a teenager even less as a young adult.

In fact I would play with Barbie Houses, with fake kitchens, and all the stereotypes of what a woman should be doing. Yet I grew up wanting to play football or wanting to be a boxer after seeing Muhammad Ali :laughga:

I think there needs to be more studies about this, but i'm not so sure that toys have a real impact as a kid. A baby boy could play with a kitchen toy, a chinese girl could play with a black doll, it really does not matter in the end, Im not sure kids need to feel represented in the form of toys, most likely on TV and in the media though

1 hour ago, James Gibson said:

yes, i do know what it means. as i said in the second line.

and you just pointed out the problem. once it doesn't profit anymore they'll drop it and have the power to lead important subjects like the ones brought by model above into obscurity again. so yes, it is important to see beyond the representation figure so it doesn't fall flat and becomes a fade.

the issue about trends is that they're fluid and die fast. social movements becoming trends are problematic for this.

but I just red above these inspirational dolls come with educational programs, so at least there's some job to make them being remembered for their history and not just a style figure

Everything you said: of course. Barbie actually does great work standing behind things like this. But as with any business, you vote with your dollar and your voice. 

Than maybe one day an Inspiring Women collection will have a Gaga doll :flutter:

aba88fdd7bb2c473f27cf453d90d1084.jpg

http://ncruz.com

KingRedd

People will complain of course lmao but as a black person, this is so gorgeous and I’m so in awe still of the efforts people like her made in that time frame and those who still make efforts now. This doll is beautiful and allows older and younger generations to collect and keep remembering such a powerful black woman. Any black people mad are just in 2019 complaint era. Some of us will never be happy with anything but this doll to me is beautiful. 

May I Read You? 😎

James Gibson
13 minutes ago, KNJ said:

Everything you said: of course. Barbie actually does great work standing behind things like this. But as with any business, you vote with your dollar and your voice. 

Than maybe one day an Inspiring Women collection will have a Gaga doll :flutter:

aba88fdd7bb2c473f27cf453d90d1084.jpg

http://ncruz.com

smart said!

and yes, the doll does look beautiful

River
7 minutes ago, KingRedd said:

People will complain of course lmao but as a black person, this is so gorgeous and I’m so in awe still of the efforts people like her made in that time frame and those who still make efforts now. This doll is beautiful and allows older and younger generations to collect and keep remembering such a powerful black woman. Any black people mad are just in 2019 complaint era. Some of us will never be happy with anything but this doll to me is beautiful. 

watch the episode of Doctor Who about her, I cried when I watched it.

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta

45 minutes ago, kyanewest said:

I can only speak for myself but playing with blonde Barbie dolls didn't really shape who I was as a teenager even less as a young adult.

In fact I would play with Barbie Houses, with fake kitchens, and all the stereotypes of what a woman should be doing. Yet I grew up wanting to play football or wanting to be a boxer after seeing Muhammad Ali :laughga:

I think there needs to be more studies about this, but i'm not so sure that toys have a real impact as a kid. A baby boy could play with a kitchen toy, a chinese girl could play with a black doll, it really does not matter in the end, Im not sure kids need to feel represented in the form of toys, most likely on TV and in the media though

Yeah there are studies. YouTube doll test and here's one on gendering childrens play

Spoiler

Kids are sponges and they soak up our wrong-headed sh*t at a very early age.  I'll speak for myself and say it sucked. It sucked knowing I couldn't have something if my Mom saw no girls in the commercial for it; to have to draw in my own version of textured hair over the straight hair people outlined in coloring books; to only see light skinned girls of color with "good hair" on toy boxes. This is how  concepts (race,gender,ability etc) are internalized into  "oh only they are allowed to xyz.  

It sucked as much as it made me happy to see a Barbie w a wheelchair, gay families on kids tv shows and girls playing with light sabers, in all skin tones.

Hope you read up on it. It's fascinating.

Archived