other

Amazon Rain Forest Burning for Three Weeks now; Gets Little Media Coverage

27monster27

Featured Posts

Chromatislaps

We need an UN Aforestation task force, an UN Ocean Cleanup force, and an UN CO2 capture program and a UN renewable energy program...this will create a lot of jobs and save a lot of issues in the long run

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gov Hooka
5 hours ago, Economy said:

I don't think anyone is saying it's no big deal tho. I literally didn't read any comment saying this is ok

All some of us are saying is that the wording is a bit dramatic

If someone doesn't know the details of the fire or the size is the Amazon, it literally makes it sound and implies that the entire forest is about to be gone

On my part I was never saying it wasn't a big issue. I know a lot of ecology and I'm perfectly fully aware that the Amazon forest is single handedly the most important forest in the world and that's it's being threatned for quite some time and that it's loss would affect the climate quite a bit not to mention there's countless species that would go extinct as they only exist in that forest

But I also don't like dramatizations. It actually ends up taking away from the seriousness of it when ppl who don't take this stuff as seriously end up seeing environmentalists as fear mongers

If we can criticize conservatives when they dramatize or exxagerate, we shouldn't be doing the same... Just present the truth as it is

oh my god shut up. lmao. "i don't like dramatizations." This is something to be extremely dramatic about. This one of the most massive fires in Amazon deforestation history. In July alone, an area equivalent to the size of Greater London was completely destroyed. That should be dramatized to the extreme to get action done. The Amazon is on course to disappear and lose its ability to ever recover. And here you are arguing about "dramatization." Good grief

Economy
4 hours ago, Gov Hooka said:

oh my god shut up. lmao. "i don't like dramatizations." This is something to be extremely dramatic about. This one of the most massive fires in Amazon deforestation history. In July alone, an area equivalent to the size of Greater London was completely destroyed. That should be dramatized to the extreme to get action done. The Amazon is on course to disappear and lose its ability to ever recover. And here you are arguing about "dramatization." Good grief

:interestinga:

I'm not even going to respond or argue to someone who talks in such a tone

Reported

Clearly u love dramatization if you speak like this. No wonder you'd defend it

My point was a perfectly reasonable opinion. I don't think something being a good cause automatically makes it ok to stretch, exagerate or dramatize the truth

The way u responded to me ud think I was supporting Nazis or something :saladga:

AmericanxDream

I do wish that this crisis was getting more attention, though. It sucks how the West just doesn't care about anything that happens in South America unless it involves miners stuck underground or earthquakes...

PunkTheFunk
11 hours ago, Economy said:

I don't think anyone is saying it's no big deal tho. I literally didn't read any comment saying this is ok

All some of us are saying is that the wording is a bit dramatic

If someone doesn't know the details of the fire or the size is the Amazon, it literally makes it sound and implies that the entire forest is about to be gone

On my part I was never saying it wasn't a big issue. I know a lot of ecology and I'm perfectly fully aware that the Amazon forest is single handedly the most important forest in the world and that's it's being threatned for quite some time and that it's loss would affect the climate quite a bit not to mention there's countless species that would go extinct as they only exist in that forest

But I also don't like dramatizations. It actually ends up taking away from the seriousness of it when ppl who don't take this stuff as seriously end up seeing environmentalists as fear mongers

If we can criticize conservatives when they dramatize or exxagerate, we shouldn't be doing the same... Just present the truth as it is

These are all the fires burning right now...I think it's a pretty big deal

2dae35cdb853acab230b9cd71b964d06e5f09e2d

Economy
Just now, PunkTheFunk said:

These are all the fires burning right now...I think it's a pretty big deal

2dae35cdb853acab230b9cd71b964d06e5f09e2d

No it is a big deal. I never said it wasn't

I don't think most of u got the point I was actually trying to make here

I was saying some of those posts made it sound like the whole Forest was about to go up in flames which is what ppl might interpret if they don't know the details of how big the forest is and vs the size of the fires

I don't think a good cause automatically makes it ok to sensationalize and exagerate the truth that's all I'm saying

It doesn't mean that i don't think there's a serious long term issue here.

But that's seperate to the point I was making. Ppl don't know how to seperate specific points from the general topic anymore :saladga:

Runway
16 minutes ago, Economy said:

was saying some of those posts made it sound like the whole Forest was about to go up in flames which is what ppl might interpret if they don't know the details of how big the forest is and vs the size of the fires

So by your logic we are only allowed to be “dRamAtIc !!1” when the whole thing is gone and there’s nothing left to do ? :toofunny:

Economy
Just now, Runway said:

So by your logic we are only allowed to be “dRamAtIc !!1” when the whole thing is gone and there’s nothing left to do ? :toofunny:

No... U can be dramatic and make a big deal about it without being misleading :rip:

It's not being dramatic about a big issue that's the issue... It's being dramatic about how it's told

U don't need to stretch a truth or imply things that aren't the case to bring awareness to an issue

RemovedPerRequest1
On 8/21/2019 at 5:47 AM, Economy said:

Ok "we are on the verge of loosing it" is very dramatic

Canada's Boreal Forest gets multiple major fires every year that sometimes last several weeks on the driest summers and doesn't get reported much on either... Why? Cuz it's normal

Forest fires are a very normal thing. Tho yes human activity has increased forest fires to a greater degree than ideal, but it's being blown out of proportion

This is an extremely misinformed opinion. The Amazon are the lungs of the planet. The area will turn into a desolate wasteland fueled by global warming. Scientists are saying this. 

Im all for voicing opinions, but don’t walk it around as fact.

Economy
9 minutes ago, JSwystun said:

This is an extremely misinformed opinion. The Amazon are the lungs of the planet. The area will turn into a desolate wasteland fueled by global warming. Scientists are saying this. 

Im all for voicing opinions, but don’t walk it around as fact.

The amazons are not the lungs of the planet. New research has debunked this

The Amazon forest may account for 20% of earth's raw oxygen production but it produces almost no NET production 

The forest itself consumed so much oxygen (most of what it produces) so in terms of earth's supply it doesn't actually have a major impact. On a net basis of production vs consumption it's almost neutral

Vegetation is only a small portion of earth's net oxygen production. The zones of the Ocean rich in Diatoms and other types of plankton is what is truly the lungs of the earth.

Not saying it doesn't matter that they are being threatned tho nor was that really my point either. What fact are u even talking about?

No one seems to be responding to what I'm actually saying

Hades

This is one of the worst years in history. Siberia is damaged, Greenland is melting and now the Amazon Forest. I'm starting to freak out.:messga:

Economy
1 minute ago, Hades said:

This is one of the worst years in history. Siberia is damaged, Greenland is melting and now the Amazon Forest. I'm starting to freak out.:messga:

We really are getting to the point of no return aren't we :noparty:

More alarmingly were getting to a point that soon even if we stop all our emissions the earths warming cycle will just keep feeding itself

Melted ice = more sun-ray absorption in oceans and less deflected...

More permafrost melt = more methaine and carbon released that we aren't even producing as humans

Hades
8 minutes ago, Economy said:

We really are getting to the point of no return aren't we :noparty:

More alarmingly were getting to a point that soon even if we stop all our emissions the earths warming cycle will just keep feeding itself

Melted ice = more sun-ray absorption in oceans and less deflected...

More permafrost melt = more methaine and carbon released that we aren't even producing as humans

It's not only the damage of the planet that's terrifying. I feel that we've lost the meaning of life. We do acknowledge the damage but nothing changes. People only care about their selves, being pretty and popular on social media and relationships are the pits. Sadly only a big shocker will wake us up.

1 hour ago, Economy said:

I was saying some of those posts made it sound like the whole Forest was about to go up in flames which is what ppl might interpret if they don't know the details of how big the forest is and vs the size of the fires

girl we know the forest is immense and that its virtually impossible for it to be obliterated by the recent fires dkfkks

what's alarming about this situation: 1) setting the Amazon on fire for cattle unfortunately is a very old and commonplace practice here in Brazil but what's scaring us is the growing rate of those fires, Jair Bolsonaro's administration basically crushed almost every single law that barely protected the environment, indigenous land and it's people. He views protected land and native Brazilians as threats to progress, so he's doing the best he can to wipe them out and give landowners a free pass to do whatever they want for profit;

2) true the Amazon won't disappear with those fires but there's a threshold of how much it can endure, if its exceeded a devastating and irreversible process of desertification will begin to take place, the rainforest will lose it's resilience and literally turn into a desert. If landowners keep burning the Amazon at this rate the threshold previously mentioned will quickly be crossed;

3) yeah the Amazon is not the planet's lungs by any stretch but it absorbs and stores large amounts of carbon, so by logic if you burn it all this carbon is released and the absorbing capacity is lost/severely diminished;

It's not drama or fear mongering lmfao it's just a reaction to the president's murderous and criminal far right administration. Just to give two examples: Jair Bolsonaro's literally fired Ricardo Galvão, the men in charge of INPE (the national institute of spacial research), just because he doesn't believe in climate change and sees scientists as imbeciles; just a month ago Emyre Waiãpi an indigenous leader and activist was murdered by woodcutters as retaliation from landowners. It may seem dramatic bc news coverage fails to give the whole picture, how this situation encircles not only ecology but social and most importantly political aspects.

Archived