Stefani Tee
politics

Only One Democratic Frontrunner Has Zero Billionaire Contributors

Featured Posts

Marilyn MonHoe

Not a single billionaire to date has donated to Sen. Bernie Sanders' run for the 2020 Democratic nomination, according to a new analysis, making him unique among primary frontrunners.

The absence was significant.

"True to his campaign promise to take on the top one percent," Forbesreporter Giacomo Tognini, who broke the story, wrote, "Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders has not received any donations from billionaires."

Tognini's reporting is based on FEC data through August 1 which shows South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg in front of the rest of the field with 23 billionaire donors to date. Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) comes in second with 18; Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) is in third with 17. Sen. Michael Bennet (D-Colo.), currently polling at around one percent, is fourth with 15 billionaire donors and former Vice President Joe Biden, the polling front runner, wraps the top five with 13. 

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), who is also running a progressive campaign aimed at the one percent, has two billionaire donors. 

Sanders was joined in the zero billionaires category by Rep. Tim Ryan (D-Ohio), New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, and former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Julián Castro.

A key difference between Sanders and his fellow candidates spurned by the billionaire class, in addition to being a top-tier contender for the nomination, is the Vermont senator's dominance in small dollar funding. As Common Dreams reported on August 2, Sanders has an overwhelming lead nationwide when it comes to generating individual donations.

That fundraising data, said researcher Kristin Johnson, in showing high strength across the nation for Sanders "contradicts both the mainstream narrative and some national polling data that suggest that only a centrist Democrat could succeed in this political environment."

Source: https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/06/no-billionaires-bernie-alone-among-democratic-frontrunners-sanders-gets-no-cash

This along with Bernie’s strong pro-labor record, which includes walking the picket line with unionized workers, makes him one of the only candidates who truly works for the people. Others can’t relate :applause:

• Like 7
  • LMAO 2
  • YAAAS 6
  • Love 1

Autumn

Americans should be thankful they have Bernie :firega:

The UK could never

200.gif

• formerly ARealWildMan, WarriorPhoenix •
  • YAAAS 2

SEANGT

That's cool and I'll vote for him if he wins but like.... It's not as important as y'all think

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 3

lairofhk
8 minutes ago, SEANGT said:

That's cool and I'll vote for him if he wins but like.... It's not as important as y'all think

“Not as important as y’all think” oh really now 😒 Tell me why it’s not important 

• Thanks 1

HybridAT

Billionaires can donate as much as everyone else, a maximum of $2800 for the campaign for primaries. Their contribution ratio compared to the total fundraising amounts to each campaign literally rounds up to zero percent. This is nothing to boast about. What matters are the policies and plans and how the middle class resonates to them. 

Edited by HybridAT
  • Like 5

PunkTheFunk

What about millionaires?

#Marianne2020
  • Like 1
  • LMAO 6

LIMECHAKRA
16 minutes ago, SEANGT said:

^This. 

Who the **** cares who is donating to who?

I want a winning candidate.  That's all that matters.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

HybridAT
44 minutes ago, LIMECHAKRA said:

^This. 

Who the **** cares who is donating to who?

I want a winning candidate.  That's all that matters.

Exactly. Who cares where the money is coming from when everyone has the same ceiling of donation i.e. $2800? I don't care as long as Democrats have enough money to successfully run a campaign and beat Trump. Voters don't care about who's donating to who, only the self-proclaimed, chest-thumping "progressives" care about these stupid purity tests. This gives rise to nothing but more infighting within the Democrats. All that the voters care about are actual policies and plans, how they will improve their daily lives and the country as a whole. 

Yeah this is going to get plenty of sads or lmaos but idgaf. Go ahead.

#votebluenomatterwho

Edited by HybridAT
  • Like 1
  • LMAO 1
  • Sad 3

Marilyn MonHoe
1 hour ago, HybridAT said:

Exactly. Who cares where the money is coming from when everyone has the same ceiling of donation i.e. $2800? I don't care as long as Democrats have enough money to successfully run a campaign and beat Trump. Voters don't care about who's donating to who, only the self-proclaimed, chest-thumping "progressives" care about these stupid purity tests. This gives rise to nothing but more infighting within the Democrats. All that the voters care about are actual policies and plans, how they will improve their daily lives and the country as a whole. 

Yeah this is going to get plenty of sads or lmaos but idgaf. Go ahead.

#votebluenomatterwho

That’s not true. A majority of Americans (including Democrats AND Republicans) do not like money in politics.

Spoiler

“Americans overwhelmingly support limits on political campaign spending, and most think new laws could effectively reduce the role of money in politics.

A recent Pew Research Center report finds several indications of public concern over campaign spending. There is widespread – and bipartisan – agreement that people who make large political donations should not have more political influence than others, but Americans largely don’t see that as a description of the country today.

And there is extensive support for reining in campaign spending: 77% of the public says “there should be limits on the amount of money individuals and organizations” can spend on political campaigns; just 20% say they should be able to spend as much as they want.

A somewhat smaller majority (65%) says that new campaign finance laws could be written that would be effective in reducing the role of money in politics, while 31% say any new laws would not be effective.

Democrats are more likely to support limits on campaign spending than are Republicans, and there is a similar gap in views on whether effective laws could be written. Still, 71% of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents say there should be limits on campaign spending and 54% say new laws that would be effective in limiting the influence of money in politics could be written. Among Democrats and Democratic leaners, even larger majorities favor spending limits (85%) and think new laws would be effective (77%).

Nearly three-quarters of the public (74%) says it is very important that major political donors not have more influence than others, while an additional 16% view this as somewhat important.

One of the major reasons that Trump was elected was that he wasn’t a politician and that he had the money to not be bought. Someone that would represent the people, running the country like one of his businesses. But we all know the truth :ladyhaha:

Its funny that you don’t want to encourage infighting amongst Democrats, but I’ve seen you post some anti-Bernie articles. Don’t be a hypocrite :ally:

And let’s not act like there aren’t ways to bypass the legal spending limit. We should have higher standards for who we want to elect to office. Not just any blue will do, we need a blue who will fight for the people and not the rich elites. The fact is that Obama with his neo-liberal presidency led us to Trump. Now don’t get me wrong, Obama did a lot for America but he did not go far enough. And he didn’t go far enough because he couldn’t upset the status quo and anger his donors.

@SEANGT see my response to this user.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RoverLoader
1 hour ago, PunkTheFunk said:

What about millionaires?

This. I mean  3 homes Bernie is a millionaire himself. I find it very ironic that the so called most "woke" of people want to vote in an 80 year old white man as president. :neyde::coffee:

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

PunkTheFunk
9 minutes ago, neptugne said:

Billionaires hate him

Reminds me of this

aVO9eKv_700b.jpg

#Marianne2020
  • LMAO 7

Morphine Prince

They hate to hear it. Feelin’ the Bern baby. 

The friends I've had to bury, they keep me up at night
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 1