Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
society

No Federal Charges For Officer Who Killed Eric Garner

Featured Posts

Marilyn MonHoe

The Justice Department is not bringing federal charges against a New York Police Department officer accused of fatally choking Eric Garner, the New York man whose last words, "I can't breathe," became a rallying cry in the Black Lives Matter movement.

Federal authorities had a deadline of Wednesday -- five years since Garner's death -- to decide whether to bring charges against NYPD Officer Daniel Pantaleo. The officer appeared, in a cell phone video, to have Garner in a chokehold shortly before he died. Pantaleo denies that he used a chokehold.

The city medical examiner's office ruled the death a homicide in the days after his death, and the medical examiner testified that Pantaleo's alleged chokehold caused an asthma attack and was "part of the lethal cascade of events."

Garner's mother, Gwen Carr, said the Department of Justice had failed them.

"Five years ago, my son said 'I can't breathe' 11 times, and today we can't breathe, because they let us down," she said.

The decision means that Pantaleo will not face any criminal charges related to Garner's death, though he does still face departmental charges. Federal investigators have been examining the circumstances of Garner's death since 2014, after a grand jury in New York declined to indict the Staten Island officer. The city of New York settled with Garner's estate for $5.9 million in 2015.

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/16/us/eric-garner-death-five-years-later/index.html

Wow. Just wow.

• Sad 7

Edonis

That officer deserves to be in jail...shame on the DoJ...even though I am not surprised... :madge:

Edited by Edonis
  • Like 2

Morphine Prince

This is why they kneel. 

The friends I've had to bury, they keep me up at night
  • Like 5

River

Disgusting and pretty alarming, the justice system is not doing justice.

I'm not serious 99% of the times ;)
  • Like 2

ZacharyMark

Didn't that officer also use an illegal chokehold?

Let's also not forget that the police also went after the man who FILMED the attack on Eric Garner. He is now still serving time for drug offenses I believe. 

Marilyn MonHoe
41 minutes ago, ZacharyMark said:

Didn't that officer also use an illegal chokehold?

Let's also not forget that the police also went after the man who FILMED the attack on Eric Garner. He is now still serving time for drug offenses I believe. 

Yup it was:

https://www.salon.com/2019/05/14/officer-who-killed-eric-garner-used-a-banned-chokehold-technique-nypd-internal-affairs-says/

It’s so disgusting to see the way our legal system treats white people with kid gloves in comparison to minorities.