funny

Gaga mispronounced a word in MJH

Woohoo

Featured Posts

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bradley

Btw Americans say 'lay' all the time when it should be 'lie', right?

Gaga says 'Lay back, and feast as this audio...' in G.U.Y. when it should've been 'lie'.

Poissonche
29 minutes ago, Bradley said:

Gaga says 'Lay back, and feast as this audio...' in G.U.Y. when it should've been 'lie'.

As a non-anglophone, that verb f*cks me up completely. Every time I come across it, in the past tense especially, it just feels WRONNNNG idk

monketsharona

Lady Gaga loves French :  it's how we  pronounce it in French

derpmonster

At least she didn't say "I don't wanna be French" in the studio version of BR

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

derpmonster
1 hour ago, Bradley said:

No, that's correct. Are you English btw? 

It's one of the most confusing verbs. Lay back is considered standard and grammatical though. You lay down. You were lying down. You had been lying down. (the 3 tenses) 

What's wrong is when people use "lay" in the simple past tense. But it's grammar and it evolves. 

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

Free My Mind
1 hour ago, Bradley said:

lay is a word

edit: nvm i get ur point now

12 hours ago, PartySick said:

OT: I wish there was a lyric site that would write out lyrics the way they're said. Gaga's songs would be crazy.

It's not extensive but a linguist recently discussed her singing dialect with phonetic respelling and notation

https://www.acelinguist.com/2018/12/dialect-dissection-lady-gaga.html

voidfigure
14 hours ago, Anonym said:

It’s not her fault. Italian is her mother tongue.

Gaga speaking Italian is one of the funniest things ever

Bradley
4 hours ago, derpmonster said:

No, that's correct. Are you English btw? 

It's one of the most confusing verbs. Lay back is considered standard and grammatical though. You lay down. You were lying down. You had been lying down. (the 3 tenses) 

What's wrong is when people use "lay" in the simple past tense. But it's grammar and it evolves. 

I'm not English, but I study British English, for what it's worth.

Actually from my understanding, 'lay' is only used when you are putting something down. This means that you need another object/subject in your hands for you to 'lay' it down, it could obviously be used on something intangible, but still, if we're talking about the bodily position, you have to use the word 'lie'.

@Poissonche Hope this clears up your confusion. 'Lay' could be both a present simple (as in lay that down on the table) or past simple (as in the past tense of 'lie on the bed').

SharkmanthaC
18 hours ago, PinkPop said:

she probably knows how to pronounce it but chose to pronounce it like that so it rhymes

like most singers say 'may' instead of 'me'

This is all I could think about reading this. 

its gonna be may justin timberlake GIF

she/her/hers

JR Gg
56 minutes ago, Bradley said:

I'm not English, but I study British English, for what it's worth.

Actually from my understanding, 'lay' is only used when you are putting something down. This means that you need another object/subject in your hands for you to 'lay' it down, it could obviously be used on something intangible, but still, if we're talking about the bodily position, you have to use the word 'lie'.

@Poissonche Hope this clears up your confusion. 'Lay' could be both a present simple (as in lay that down on the table) or past simple (as in the past tense of 'lie on the bed').

Yeah this is correct. It should be 'lie'. Lay is the simple past tense of 'lie' in the context that she is using.

Glamourpuss

I've heard it been said as leer by many people. I'd say it that way myself. 

Archived