Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
society

Notre Dame cathedral in Paris on fire

Featured Posts

Glamourpuss
1 hour ago, Illuminati said:

It's a place for a prayer. When an inanimate object, a stone structure becomes more important than the people it's meant to serve that's when the purpose of it is lost. 

Who said it was "more important" than people? There were no people hurt by this fire so we are entitled to mourn the loss of the artwork, culture, history, etc if we wish to. The building was valuable in many ways.  Another GGD member said it was "priceless".

Do you understand how an inanimate building can mean so much to some people?  We don't see a building like this as just being a structure made out of building materials. We see the heart and soul that went into it over centuries. Did you know it took 200 years to build and do you know how long it's been standing there for? It's sad that you see a beautiful building like this and just see an object. 

Serial liker
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Zander

The exterior pictures actually made it look a lot worse than what it is. Of course it’s devastating damage but the inside looks pretty untouched (apart from the hole in the ceiling where the spire was) the stone arches on the ceiling held up considerably well. The fire is out and they are still housing it down to cool the building. One of three main glass windows has gone.

Edited by Zander
  • Love 8

Dutch

Just saw this picture too! What a relief. I really was wondering how a building of stone was burning down to the ground, so I already was hoping it looked worse than it was.

I hope this is really true, because a lot will be saved if so.

• Like 1

PunkTheFunk
29 minutes ago, Zander said:

The exterior pictures actually made it look a lot worse than what it is. Of course it’s devastating damage but the inside looks pretty untouched (apart from the hole in the ceiling where the spire was) the stone arches on the ceiling held up considerably well. The fire is out and they are still housing it down to cool the building. One of three main glass windows has gone.

That doesn't look bad at all tbh. They can just patch up the roof and it'll be good to go.

#Marianne2020

Gov Hooka

Are those pics fake? There’s no way that could be the damage because of the spire falling right? Does anyone know how the rose windows fared? I desperately hope those are okay. My history professor cried when they found out about this before class today. :( 

calmar
2 minutes ago, Gov Hooka said:

Are those pics fake? There’s no way that could be the damage because of the spire falling right? Does anyone know how the rose windows fared? I desperately hope those are okay. My history professor cried when they found out about this before class today. :( 

I heard that one rose window is gone, but the other two are at least intact (although probably not well off.)

The picture is not fake. The 'ceiling' you see from the inside is the underside of the vault, made of the same stone material as the outside walls. The roof of the cathedral is made of wood and was on top of the vault; you can see the hole where the spire was because there was also a break in the vault at that location.

俺の勝利は揺るぎない
  • Like 2

Earthling
35 minutes ago, PunkTheFunk said:

That doesn't look bad at all tbh. They can just patch up the roof and it'll be good to go.

:triggered:

*HRH Duchess of Teavana® Matcha Lemonade 🍵✨
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dutch

Seems like these windows and the rose are still intact.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

calmar

The fire is under control now from what I'm reading.

俺の勝利は揺るぎない
  • Love 1

Morphine Prince

Thought I could fly, so I stepped off the Golden
  • Like 2
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 1
  • Shook 1

SamanthaC
8 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

No idea who this is, but I like him.

• Like 1

mariomania1234

Hoping the damage was less devastating then initially thought. 

FATCAT
1 hour ago, SamanthaC said:

No idea who this is, but I like him.

Then his PR campaign is working as intended haha

█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓ This püssy grabs back. █▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓
  • LMAO 1