đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Suprise album right away? (no single before?)

Schizophonic

Featured Posts

LilyLark

Haven't all of Gaga's albums debuted at #1—even C2C? I don't think that even a less than popular single (which won't happen) will be a problem, unless she drops the week after Taylor or Adele (or possibly Beyonce).

The benefit of a surprise drop is that people (fans, critics, etc.) don't form an impression of the album as a whole based off the single. A weak lead single can influence critics which can in turn influence people who aren't hardcore fans. I still think a traditional single/album release date would be best, but didn't Gaga herself say she wanted it to be a surprise....which kind of makes me think it's going to be an album drop.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LilyLark
1 hour ago, Inferno said:

Yeah totally agree, Gagas so far behind in streaming that it kind of makes a surprise release more detrimental in terms of statistical success.

Yeah, streaming is the thing—Gaga still crushes when it comes to pure sales (in part because her fanbase is more 25 and over, which is a good thing because under 25 fans tend to move on quickly to other artists), but it's going to hurt her if she does a surprise release (which she kind of indicated by saying she wanted it to be a "surprise") and expects fans to stream on loop like Ariana's fans, etc. And a lot of streaming services don't put Gaga's songs on their presorted lists (or Katy or Janelle or several other artists compared to Ariana, Halsey, etc.).....whether that's payola or not...who knows. I do wonder if Interscope sees Billie's success with streaming and might start playing the game, more, with Spotify.

I don't think she has to do a big, traditional roll out with multiple interviews & magazine covers—few artists do it that way nowadays, and it might even hurt her. She fought hard to overcome that false, vaguely sexist notion that she was all flash and no substance just because she likes costumes, etc. Over the top media coverage may make the public narrative return to that, tho.

But I do think she needs to do some traditional ways of promotions—a single released before the album and some live performances on various talk shows, etc.—she can't just drop it and then disappear. Perhaps a performance on Thursday, and a few performances scattered throughout the first week of sales?  For example, Lorde's album was really well reviewed, and she probably would have sold far more IF she had actually done more to push it when it first came out (I don't even think she did a single live performance).

munty hunty

Gaga needs the promo of a single because her team refuses to do any promo themselves :ladyhaha:

free my mind

Edonis

I'm probably in the minority when I say this, but I feel like the album won't be released until the dates for the 2020 Vegas shows are released. If anything comes in April and May, then it will likely just be the lead single, with another single released during the summer (like July/August). Then, the album shortly after  with new Vegas dates for next year at the same time. I only say this because LG6 will likely have its own Vegas show for 2020, and Enigma probably won't change for the rest of the year sans new singles added to the setlist. Anyways, that's how I see it.

BalmungBard

Safest bet is that she could mention new music the last week of this month but not release anything until May. Given that this Friday is Good Friday and the start of Passover weekend I doubt her team wants another Judas uproar, she’s the GP’s fave right now. As for a surprise album it’s up in the air, she did mention she wanted it to be a surprise i think it’ll probably drop sometime between May or August.

NYC - Gamer - Artist - Writer - FFXIV Balmung

monsieurRed

This thread makes me sad. Everyone is comparing her to Beyoncé like she can’t compete and she can. Until Beyoncé did that song with Ed Sheran she hadn’t had a number one song since Single Ladies. Like B, all of Gaga’s albums have gone number one and surprise album or not I believe LG6 will debut at number one as well. :ohwell:

🧚‍♀️

Archived