Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
other

Greatest Decade For Pop Music According to Science

Thotiana

Featured Posts

Thotiana

A new study from a team at New York University saw 643 people aged between 18 and 25 being asked about their pop knowledge over the last 50 years. And, in a major victory for fans of the 1960s, it seems that chart toppers from that decade proved to be a whole lot more memorable than the songs from the years 2000 to 2015.

140813_BROW_60sMusic.jpg.CROP.promovar-m

“Spotify was launched in 2008, well after nearly 90% of the songs we studied were released, which indicates millennials are aware of the music that, in general, preceded their lives and are nonetheless choosing to listen to it.”

https://www.nme.com/news/music/this-is-the-best-decade-for-pop-music-according-to-science-2467655

myluis617

Well when future generations are growing they will steer towards music from the 2000s and 2010s too.

River

18-25 is not exactly millennials, it's pretty much late millennials and Gen Z:emma:

I think early Millennials like me would consider the 90s-early 00s music to be more memorable and great than the 2010s+ music..

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta

AJRocketMan

I've found great music in all decades. Back in 2012-15 I used to be obsessed with discovering music from previous decades and all of them had their standouts and generic tunes. It's all subjective in the end.

But honestly, I really do believe that the 2010's have been the most creative decade for popular and underground music. While every decade has their own creations, since 2010 we've seen the birth of so many genres of music and culture that didn't exist just a decade before. We also saw the rise and fall of so many popular singers (including Gaga) and trends and so many reinventions (successful or otherwise) that it's dizzying to look back and see that this all occurred in the exact same decade.

The 2010s will probably go down as the boldest era for the music industry, especially the first half. You can see this reflected in the social change made to western society. The music industry was easily the greatest contributor to the immense social progress made in the western world in the past 10 years, especially for LGBT rights. In the past, such as in the 2000's, gay people had to worry for their safety and well-being and were near-universally seen as inferior to heteronormative society. Thanks to the music industry (namely our Mother Monster), we're now largely seen as equals, although genuine, unapologetic queerness, specifically the type that pertains to male sexuality, is still seen as transgressive (this is a good thing IMO).

This boldness was reflected in the artistic choices being made by the pop stars. During the first half of the 2010s, everything from the music, to the promo, to the presentation, to the aesthetics, to the messages behind the art was inspired, and fueled by, queerness. Heck, the most revolutionary woman of the 21st century to whom this website is dedicated to used her queerness as a representation of her outsiderness. Has anyone noticed that since gay marriage has been legalized LGBT culture has become less mainstream? LGBT culture has never been nearly as mainstream as it was from 2009-early 2015 before or since.

SevenWonder

60s were the best for overall music.

70s were the best for stadium rock.

80s were the best for pop.

90s were the best for alternative.

00s-10s were the best for Gaga stans.

Archived