Sokka

10 hours ago, LadyLuca said:

iroh

azula

ozai

General zhao

Momo! 

Appa! (yip-yip) :woohoo:

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

11 hours ago, M Monstre said:

It still blows my mind that this movie made $2.7 billion

The next ones will also do HUGE

NotDoctor

I couldn't tell you almost anything about that movie but I will say that the Pandora section of Animal Kingdom is INCREDIBLE.  Even if you don't like the movie I highly, highly recommend seeing it if you get the chance.  And the best part is: almost no knowledge of the movies is needed in any way to enjoy it :laughga:  I loved it and don't know a single name from Avatar.

phantasmas

praise the fx and tech all you want, that movie still sucked 

james cameron owes me a refund and compensation for time lost :ohwell:

Quasi
12 hours ago, gag said:

Is that not a fad though? If it needs another boost for people to even remember what happens in the first movie then it's clear that it's made very little impact in terms of pop culture / the general consensus. The sequel is probably going to make billions as well but that doesn't negate the fact that the first movie is one of the biggest fads of our time.

I would hardly say that people forgot what actually happened in the film. They forgot the names. This notion could be applied to most movies today, especially if people only saw them in only one sitting. I sometimes forget the names of the main characters right after I watch a film, let alone years after the film came out. And I'm sure many others do as well. People remember the story and the emotions they felt when they watched a film, the names come secondary. You could name a character in a film any other name and it wouldn't really affect the story so why are we putting so much significance on that one fact. Arguably, Avatar very well started the whole shift in the film industry towards stereoscopic 3D viewing which still has lasting implications to this day, nearly a decade after it came out.  The push towards more immersive filmmaking is in part due to the success of Avatar with new tech being tested on the daily to literally be used in theatres across the world . Culturally even, anytime you see someone painted blue you can't help but think of the film. I would hardly call that a one hit wonder or a fad.

I don't understand pineapples, so I don't eat bananas.

Spoiler

In 2154, humans have depleted Earth's natural resources, leading to a severe energy crisis. The Resources Development Administration (RDA for short) mines for a valuable mineral — unobtanium — on Pandora, a densely forested habitable moon orbiting the gas giant Polyphemus in the Alpha Centauri star system.[11] Pandora, whose atmosphere is poisonous to humans, is inhabited by the Na'vi, a species of 10-foot tall (3.0 m), blue-skinned, sapienthumanoids[35] that live in harmony with nature and worship a mother goddess named Eywa.

To explore Pandora's biosphere, scientists use Na'vi-human hybrids called "avatars", operated by genetically matched humans; Jake Sully, a paraplegic former Marine, replaces his deceased identical twin brother as an operator of one. Dr. Grace Augustine, head of the Avatar Program, considers Sully an inadequate replacement but accepts his assignment as a bodyguard. While protecting the avatars of Grace and fellow scientist Dr. Norm Spellman as they collect biological data, Jake's avatar is attacked by a thanator and flees into the forest, where he is rescued by Neytiri, a female Na'vi. Witnessing an auspicious sign, she takes him to her clan, whereupon Neytiri's mother Mo'at, the clan's spiritual leader, orders her daughter to initiate Jake into their society.

Colonel Miles Quaritch, head of RDA's private security force, promises Jake that the company will restore his legs if he gathers information about the Na'vi and the clan's gathering place, a giant tree called Hometree,[36] which stands above the richest deposit of unobtanium in the area. When Grace learns of this, she transfers herself, Jake, and Norm to an outpost. Over the following three months, Jake grows to sympathize with the natives. After Jake is initiated into the tribe, he and Neytiri choose each other as mates, and soon afterward, Jake reveals his change of allegiance when he attempts to disable a bulldozer that threatens to destroy a sacred Na'vi site. When Quaritch shows a video recording of Jake's attack on the bulldozer to Administrator Parker Selfridge,[37] and another in which Jake admits that the Na'vi will never abandon Hometree, Selfridge orders Hometree destroyed.

Despite Grace's argument that destroying Hometree could damage the biological neural network native to Pandora, Selfridge gives Jake and Grace one hour to convince the Na'vi to evacuate before commencing the attack. While trying to warn the Na'vi, Jake confesses to being a spy, and the Na'vi take him and Grace captive. Seeing this, Quaritch's men destroy Hometree, killing Neytiri's father (the clan chief) and many others. Mo'at frees Jake and Grace, but they are detached from their avatars and imprisoned by Quaritch's forces. Pilot Trudy Chacón, disgusted by Quaritch's brutality, frees Jake, Grace, and Norm, and airlifts them to Grace's outpost, but during the escape Quaritch fires at them, hitting Grace.

To regain the Na'vi's trust, Jake connects his mind to that of Toruk, a dragon-like predator feared and honored by the Na'vi. Jake finds the refugees at the sacred Tree of Souls and pleads with Mo'at to heal Grace. The clan attempts to transfer Grace from her human body into her avatar with the aid of the Tree of Souls, but she dies before the process can be completed. Supported by the new chief Tsu'tey, Jake speaks to unite the clan and tells them to gather all of the clans to battle against the RDA. Noticing the impending gathering, Quaritch organizes a pre-emptive strike against the Tree of Souls, believing that its destruction will demoralize the natives. On the eve of battle, Jake prays to Eywa, via a neural connection with the Tree of Souls, to intercede on behalf of the Na'vi.

During the subsequent battle, the Na'vi suffer heavy casualties, including Tsu'tey and Trudy; but are rescued when Pandoran wildlife unexpectedly join the attack and overwhelm the humans, which Neytiri interprets as Eywa's answer to Jake's prayer. Jake destroys a makeshift bomber before it can reach the Tree of Souls; Quaritch, wearing an AMP suit, escapes from his own damaged aircraft and breaks open the avatar link unit containing Jake's human body, exposing it to Pandora's poisonous atmosphere. Quaritch prepares to slit the throat of Jake's avatar, but Neytiri kills Quaritch and saves Jake from suffocation.

With the exceptions of Jake, Norm and a select few others, all humans are expelled from Pandora and sent back to Earth, after which Jake is permanently transferred into his avatar with the aid of the Tree of Souls.

Open for plot

rah rah rah rah

Stephen

Just playing devils advocate, both star wars and avengers have had multiple films to make an impression on audiences. avatar was only 1 film. star wars has been  in the public consciousness since the late 70s. Not to mention, the Avengers and marvel characters have been in comic books for decades even before any of these films. They've had so much time to become iconic and memorable. Even if they never made those Avengers movies, most people would still recognize Iron Man, the Hulk, Spiderman etc.

Antichrist
14 hours ago, gag said:

Is that not a fad though? If it needs another boost for people to even remember what happens in the first movie then it's clear that it's made very little impact in terms of pop culture / the general consensus. The sequel is probably going to make billions as well but that doesn't negate the fact that the first movie is one of the biggest fads of our time.

is star wars a fad for you then? something having a sequel doesn't necessarily mean it's a fad. it means it made so much money or is the opposite of a fad that they literally decide to continue it. sis wyd. if bradley was a money-hungry director, asib would've been on it's 5th se-prequel right now.

huttont

I loved this movie. It had amazing visuals, a good cause/message, and the storyline was not bad. I don’t understand the hate it gets. I think people just think it’s “cool” to hate on it.

7 hours ago, Antichrist said:

is star wars a fad for you then? something having a sequel doesn't necessarily mean it's a fad. it means it made so much money or is the opposite of a fad that they literally decide to continue it. sis wyd. if bradley was a money-hungry director, asib would've been on it's 5th se-prequel right now.

Read my post again. I’m saying Avatar needs a sequel for people to even remember what happens in the first movie, rather than an organic continuation born out of fan demand and public interest (as other sequels entail). Star Wars was a massive, influential hit from its first film. A New Hope did NOT need The Empire Strikes Back to cement its place in pop culture, but Avatar certainly needs Avatar 2.

headspin, happiness, DE̤̣A̢̯͔̘T͏͙̗̟̫H̗̙͡ͅ

Catnikko

so :air: it came out how long ago? I couldn't name half of the last 3 series of drag race' queens but what point is this trying to make? :toofunny: 

Archived