💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

If ASIB flopped, when would've LG6 come?

NotMyFlop

Featured Posts

Silvestro Devacelli

The photoshoot posted in august was shot in may so it really may be for LG6 :udidnt:

A Hybrid
2 hours ago, NotMyFlop said:

As it's commonly accepted, those now-infamous Instagram photos in August are (or were) for LG6

By? :oprah:

No family’s safe when I sashay

Bradley
2 hours ago, MrDarkGa said:

In my opinion, Enigma is, at present, so-so in parts. It was marketed as a fresh, new, never-seen-before show. But its a Greatest Hits show with a digital narrator and interaction between that and Gaga, interesting backgrounds, a robot and thats really it. There isnt anything awe inspiring or fresh to the level that was announced. I firmly believe we havent seen Enigma for what it truly is yet, and that this will come with the new music when its released. Also, I think that it being called a never-before-seen show was direct reference to the music that will be played and possibly new animations or visual effects to go with it. They couldnt cancel the first lot of shows just because of ASIB's impact, so they adapted the show to get by until now.

I'm sorry but your attempt at summarising the contents of the show is supposed to indicate its 'so-so quality'? How does that work? Besides, even if we're trying to summarise tours and concerts, Enigma has much more to offer than a lot of shows offered by other major artists. Enigma, in my opinion, is definitely a show that is in one of the highest leagues there is. Who the fck acts in a concert as if she was in a movie? We had a highly theatrical show that marks the return of Lady Gaga, after two-eras of toned down visuals and performances, it was exactly what fans and critics wanted. I mean you claim that it's not fresh but what is fresh?  As someone who personally attended the show, I personally cannot imagine any other pop star concert that could match the quality that she delivered with Enigma.

Promotional descriptions always feature words or lines like 'never-before-seen' 'unlike anything I've ever done', you shouldn't have taken it to such a literal level, besides this is such a vague description I could even say Enigma did exactly fulfill its promise of being a one-of-a-kind show no one's ever emulated before. It's just that you don't agree, but critics are saying this residency is a confirmation and beginning of her legacy.

And the setlist being a compilation of her greatest hits is something to compliment for, not criticise. I've seen like a ton of critics complaining about how some shows lacked hits, it was the most logical and reasonable thing for Gaga to do things the way she did with Enigma, besides we still got cuts like Government Hooker, Judas, ScheiBe, Aura, The Fame and Beautiful, Dirty, Rich. Sure the Joanne side was a little underrepresented, but she's got only 2 hours of time, with the acting and interludes she obviously can't represent every album equally. Vegas residencies consist of largely tourist audiences, they NEED to hear the hits.

And I feel like you're not judging a concert, you're judging the technology incorporated. We're talking about concerts, not technology or computers. I could give two artists exactly the same technology and one sucks because s/he doesn't know how to perform.  Gaga single-handedly carried this show and outperformed 20 other musicians in Vegas, because from a performer and musician's perspective, she is in her own league, and Enigma is evidence of that.

Ziggy
3 hours ago, mauvais said:

Gaga didn't approach ASIB with pessimism and distrust like y'all did :ohno: of course the success of ASIB probably exceeded her expectations because it's one thing to say "I'm going to fight like hell for people to love this" and another to actually live out the last six months but I highly doubt she had projects waiting in the wings subject to ASIB inevitability underperforming. You can't function as an artist if you're always thinking "welp, this will probably flop, what's next?" like liddos. 

A lot of you guys hate Joanne and Enigma  and project your disappointment onto her while idealizing some imaginary future project (Gaga's trapped in Vegas now when she could be killing herself on a stadium tour, etc) but I don't see how Gaga could feel anything but happiness and total f*cking vindication. I think ASIB and Enigma, like ARTPOP and C2C or AHS and Joanne, back to back is just Gaga doing what she's always done.

They're speaking from a business sense not Gaga's explicit wishes. She doesn't have a say in WB releasing the movie at x time or y time, and she *might* have a say in album releases, but I think for her just making these projects is enough and she largely doesn't have much of a care for release dates anymore (from what we've seen). I don't think Gaga approached any of this with pessimism, but WB was trusting a new director with an untested actress. They weren't pessimistic, but just hedging their bets on success.

sampool
4 hours ago, VoldeLorde2 said:

Don't forget, they moved ASIB up for a May release and then moved it back to October. They probably moved it up to make way for LG6 in the Fall, incase ASIB flopped, but they saw ASIB's potential so they moved it to October. 

I don’t think Interscope has any control over the movie release date, it’s all up to Warner Bros. 

MrDarkGa
53 minutes ago, Bradley said:

Besides, even if we're trying to summarise tours and concerts, Enigma has much more to offer than a lot of shows offered by other major artists.

I LITERALLY said I dont believe we have seen Enigma for what it truly is yet - meaning it has much more to offer and this may come with new music and how its handled...:spin:

3 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

They're speaking from a business sense not Gaga's explicit wishes. She doesn't have a say in WB releasing the movie at x time or y time, and she *might* have a say in album releases, but I think for her just making these projects is enough and she largely doesn't have much of a care for release dates anymore (from what we've seen). I don't think Gaga approached any of this with pessimism, but WB was trusting a new director with an untested actress. They weren't pessimistic, but just hedging their bets on success.

We agree, fundamentally, but in this particular context I don't see the need to partition good business from Gaga's own wishes (idk her wishes but lets pretend), if that makes sense. WB was probs realistic and hesitant about the film in a monetary sense but that hesitancy didn't necessitate Gaga have a whole a** residency and an album release waiting for when ASIB flopped, y'know? In my opinion, that's sorta like saying Gaga expected Joanne to underperform but she had ASIB waiting so it was just onto the next project! 

I know it's weird to think this way because no one thought Shallow would be a hit, but I am going to be willfully naive and hope that the b*tch who wrote the song had a little faith. 

Thomas P
4 hours ago, mauvais said:

Gaga didn't approach ASIB with pessimism and distrust like y'all did :ohno: of course the success of ASIB probably exceeded her expectations because it's one thing to say "I'm going to fight like hell for people to love this" and another to actually live out the last six months but I highly doubt she had projects waiting in the wings subject to ASIB inevitability underperforming. You can't function as an artist if you're always thinking "welp, this will probably flop, what's next?" like liddos. 

A lot of you guys hate Joanne and Enigma  and project your disappointment onto her while idealizing some imaginary future project (Gaga's trapped in Vegas now when she could be killing herself on a stadium tour, etc) but I don't see how Gaga could feel anything but happiness and total f*cking vindication. I think ASIB and Enigma, like ARTPOP and C2C or AHS and Joanne, back to back is just Gaga doing what she's always done.

The shear success of the soundtrack surmounted anything anyone could’ve predicted. I think she had faith it would do well, but it’s been such a major album in her career now that it would’ve been way too much to push another album in 2018. 

I think OP probably has it dead on. LG6 has been ready for a while, but they wanted to get the soundtrack out there (and do more Oscar baiting than anything else), wait a little while, and get the album out in time for the residency. 

I think in terms of awards, they knew nominations (and tbh probably thought more wins) would come of it, but the box office smash, and huge success for album and single alike came as a bit of a surprise. 

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

Ziggy
5 minutes ago, mauvais said:

We agree, fundamentally, but in this particular context I don't see the need to partition good business from Gaga's own wishes (idk her wishes but lets pretend), if that makes sense. WB was probs realistic and hesitant about the film in a monetary sense but that hesitancy didn't necessitate Gaga have a whole a** residency and an album release waiting for when ASIB flopped, y'know? In my opinion, that's sorta like saying Gaga expected Joanne to underperform but she had ASIB waiting so it was just onto the next project! 

I know it's weird to think this way because no one thought Shallow would be a hit, but I am going to be willfully naive and hope that the b*tch who wrote the song had a little faith. 

Oh I agree with you; I think it was a weird bit of coordination tbh. I think the plan was as OP outlined, but once ASIB started getting SUCH monumental success, Gaga herself probably also wanted to halt stuff and let ASIB breath. I don't think it was a lack of faith originally, but just that there was a business plan outlined and she had to schedule herself somehow in all of these disparate projects. But when ASIB started to get even more success than originally thought, or rather, when the promo looked like it would require more of her time, I should say, she jumped at the chance to even further promote it and cherish it. That's how I see it. It was not a lack of faith at the outset, but more that she had to schedule her time a certain way since there were so many projects going on at once and these were business estimations that were exceeded. Realistically, I'm sure she'd like to give 100000% of her time to a project at a time, but with how much she has going on and how involved she likes to be that isn't totally feasible. ASIB was probably a projected success on some level but not to this degree and I think it's not Gaga doing herself a disservice, but just understanding the marketplace when it was being released. She also fought for Joanne and it did probably about as well as Interscope had hoped. ASIB was an anomaly so even despite her love for it, I think she was a bit surprised and heartened which led to some of her "overemotional"ness

I think about that in perspective of Gaga's creative process as well. She's been recording since beggining of JWT that we know of (i mean, actually she's always making music, but i hence the beggining of writing for a specific album was around that time). That was amidst a specific turning point on Gaga's carrer as an artist, since it was post SB/Coachella/ASIB filming. So I think all that she composed and recorded throughout  this time is some special stuff that she was just waiting the right time to release it. I see it as a fresh moment in her carreer. And all the instagram posts, outfits, references, people she met with and the enigma concept seems to be a huge indicative of what's to come and I'M READY FOR IT.

Archived