Jump to content
LG6
question

What kind of accent does Gaga speak with?

Featured Posts

Ktaylor99

Her accent I believe is often referred to as “bad b!tch”

Who can tell, it changes wherever she is. When she won the Golden Globe for AHS she sounded straight burrough. Which we know she’s not. 

Edited by Ktaylor99

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
GypsyBabe

She has an rich NYC accent. A Manhattan accent. A well educated girl accent. 

⚯͛
  • Love 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
YourWhiskyMouth

Her voice gets much more tough/urban New Yorker when she talks with black people :ladyhaha:

there’s a few instances of this but I’m forgetting where.

Edited by YourWhiskyMouth
  • LMAO 2

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheShameMonster
9 minutes ago, mauvais said:

She over enunciates compared to the Standard American speaker because she is from New York, elitely educated and a trained performer. Like Glamourpuss said, she's very serious about her Ts. Her dialect shift is both because she dropped the pretense of early career and, I think, because she lives in California. 

A linguist just published a long post about her dialect  in her music but not a lot about her speaking voice 

https://www.acelinguist.com/2018/12/dialect-dissection-lady-gaga.html

This is so neat! Thanks for sharing. I'll definitely give it a read. 

BORN THIS WAY IS ONE OF THE GREATEST ALBUMS OF ALL TIME
  • Like 2

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
FfFfFfFF
51 minutes ago, mauvais said:

She over enunciates compared to the Standard American speaker because she is from New York, elitely educated and a trained performer. Like Glamourpuss said, she's very serious about her Ts. Her dialect shift is both because she dropped the pretense of early career and, I think, because she lives in California. 

A linguist just published a long post about her dialect  in her music but not a lot about her speaking voice 

https://www.acelinguist.com/2018/12/dialect-dissection-lady-gaga.html

That article is so interesting! Especially for a fan that listened to every one of her song so many times, it's fun to see all these subtle things in her pronunciation.

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
mauvais
30 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

That article is so interesting! Especially for a fan that listened to every one of her song so many times, it's fun to see all these subtle things in her pronunciation.

IA! I study linguistic anthropology  but acelinguist's format is really helpful because  I grew up in a bidialectical household and my ear doesn't notice these differences (others find the double awareness helpful, I just don't). I love that Gaga's a marry-merry non-merged unicorn! 

Edited by mauvais
  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
modern ecstasy

Her voice being nasally isn’t an accent lol. She has a standard American accent with slight NYC influences.

  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smother Em Eh

Idk that’s a good question. 

She also had a weird accent in some German interviews from the AP Era and I could never find out what it was. 

Stream Gaga’s discography on Spotify! Come on LM’s

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
calmar
13 minutes ago, SamanthaC said:

@calmar is the expert.  Shed some light! 

 

Basically what everyone else has said and what mauvais posted (although I find some of that article writer's transcriptions faulty.)

俺の勝利は揺るぎない
  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
SamanthaC
5 minutes ago, calmar said:

Basically what everyone else has said and what mauvais posted (although I find some of that article writer's transcriptions faulty.)

 

4 hours ago, mauvais said:

IA! I study linguistic anthropology  but acelinguist's format is really helpful because  I grew up in a bidialectical household and my ear doesn't notice these differences (others find the double awareness helpful, I just don't). I love that Gaga's a marry-merry non-merged unicorn! 

I totally missed this @mauvais! I'm sorry.  I will remember that you also study linguistics next time.

  • Love 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Helxig

In her earlier years I think it was more high pitched/nasally/girly as a sort of automatic defense mechanism because she felt shy. A lot of girls snap into that voice when they're shy.

You can often hear her New York accent coming through too, moreso when she's living/staying there. And it comes flying out when she spends time with Tony lol.

During the ARTPOP/perfume era I think her accent got mixed up because:

1. she was travelling a lot and doing a lot of pr. Which can make people's accents get confused as they have to enunciate differently and adapt their speaking style to be understood (also see Madonna).

2. she was very high all the time... and probably thought that pronouncing her T's and and P's strongly made her sound sophisticated :laughga:  also I've heard some singers practise doing this because it makes their singing better (so they don't sound unintelligible when singing like Ariana)

Also I think living in LA she's taken on a bit of that accent too.

I've noticed it changes all the time. And it seems to be influenced by who she's been around, where she's living, how she's feeling, what she's doing with her career, if she's travelling a lot and talking to foreigners.

 

Also this is so true :laughga: ...

5 hours ago, YourWhiskyMouth said:

Her voice gets much more tough/urban New Yorker when she talks with black people :ladyhaha:

there’s a few instances of this but I’m forgetting where.

 

Edited by Helxig
I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.
  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
mauvais
1 minute ago, SamanthaC said:

 

I totally missed this @mauvais! I'm sorry.  I will remember that you also study linguistics next time.

Not a problem :hug: Linguistic anthropology is a little different, though, so @calmar is definitely more informed if they're studying linguistics. I am interested in how people use language to construct their identities, not particularly the structure of language, etc.  

  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
SamanthaC
1 minute ago, mauvais said:

Not a problem :hug: Linguistic anthropology is a little different, though, so @calmar is definitely more informed if they're studying linguistics. I am interested in how people use language to construct their identities, not particularly the structure of language, etc.  

This has to be super interesting.

  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
mauvais
2 minutes ago, SamanthaC said:

This has to be super interesting.

It really is! But, the most important thing I've learned in my studies is that everyone is doing this all the time! 

@GypsyBabe and @Nemo 's comments are 1000% more effective than whatever I said. I absolutely died! 

"Perhaps the "Convent of the Sacred Heart" accent."

"She has an rich NYC accent. A Manhattan accent. A well educated girl accent."

*chefs kiss*

  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...