💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Joanne should have been bolder

Featured Posts

Andrea B
10 hours ago, Lurk said:

I think this thread should have been titled "Joanne was not what I wanted it to be" or "I wanted Joanne to be bolder"

This.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a personal album but it felt somehow distant. Though, the sincerity from Joanne and Million Reasons were a standout.

I think if she has a concept in her mind, she should fully commit to it, not like having a random ass song about masturbation in an album named after your aunt.

The Z
20 hours ago, iAstroLeo said:

Really? Perfect Illusion is empty?

:awkney: 

Yes, Perfect Illusion is 100% empty

Gracious Gaga

Joanne

is that bolder for you ?^

Spoiler

Lol no yes it should’ve had better/stronger songs. 

♥ Kindness Police.

Jae Eris

Um. Yeah. No. 

The thing is, Joanne (along with C2C and now ASIB) was a much needed break for her crazy persona. The GP was tired of her being over the top. It was a great reboot. I mean look where she at now.

sweet but psycho 🔪

Lucas
10 hours ago, Doncho said:

Ummm what? :awkney: Cant see that tbh.

And Perfect Illusion is about social media and Instagram like Gaga explained herself

"up all night trying to rub the pain out" for me she was refering about body pain here, if not I'm sorry :sweat: Someone made a topic here a while ago about how this song could be about her masturbating to feel less body pain, I thought it wasn't a reach
Anyway my point was just that PI and DIC are personal songs too :)

SEANGT
21 hours ago, River said:

So you missed the point of Joanne..

Joanne was personal but in a public point of view, it was not personal from struggle, but personal from family and love life, it was public in a struggle point of view because of how the world is unstable atm..

It was never intended to be private and speak about her own struggles like the rape..

I think you missed the point of this post though. The problem is that Joanne's point wasn't bold or inspiring enough. Joanne's point *should have been* personal from her own struggles. It would have been a better album. 

It definitely feels like LG or someone figured out where they went wrong with Joanne, and corrected it for ASIB.

Bradley

Here are my two cents.

I just think this fanbase, or rather music fans in general, are so largely influenced by a pop album's chart status and award recognition. I'm not even sure why this thread was made, is it because it sold only (this is obviously sarcasm) 1 million copies?

If the album sold 3 million copies worldwide, would this thread even be made? Gaga could change absolutely nothing about the music, but with a hypothetical fact that Million Reasons sold 2 million copies, people would say something like 'Sis the GP clearly loved it.' It just shows how we are speaking about an album's numbers, not sounds.

I really think to objectively judge music, we should take note of what we feel when we listen to the song and album themselves. I just don't think music fans in general exercise this caution sufficiently.

Every single song in Joanne sounds absolutely fine to me, the vocals and musicianship displayed were the most polished among her discography, and the album is diverse, emotional and yes, personal.

Even my father who knew nothing about Gaga thought Joanne (song) was strikingly moving. And I remember a lot of fans, including myself, were bawling at first listens to Joanne, Million Reasons and Angel Down. But at this point we've probably heard the songs for more than 200 times, which obviously explains why the emotional resonance may pale if compared to two years before.

I'm not saying it's the greatest album ever made, but it was the right move, it was personal, it was moving to a lot of people, and how do you reckon it gained so many new fans in previously untouched demographies if it had no substance of its own?

Nobody is going to say 'I like Lady Gaga now after Joanne.' if the album was lackluster (See Younger Now, Britney Jean and Man of the Woods).

And there were days after ARTPOP when I thought the Grammys wouldn't recognise her again, but it was nominated for three Grammys and won one. Something can't be said about Witness, Younger Now, Man of the Woods, Britney Jean and whatever forgotten pop stars out there.

Demoncore

How can people argue that Diamond Heart isn’t a personal song? It touches on her youth as a go-go dancer, the assault, and how she picked up the pieces by staying true to herself!

Bradley
7 hours ago, funkmedowntown said:

I feel like the songs people are criticizing like John Wayne and DIC were literally a throwback to her previous eras. To me Dancing In Circles belongs on the Fame Monster and John Wayne on The Fame or Born This Way. 

Gaga actually made a conscious effort in categorising her songs into albums with distinctive themes, I mean there are artists like Zayn, Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Rihanna whose songs could easily be shifted in between their discographies without being noticed.

A song like A-YO, Come to Mama and Hey Girl would clearly not fit ARTPOP or Born This Way. At least we know Gaga does radical changes in the way other artists wouldn't dare attempt.

brucee

In for Joanne being a new sonic start for G. Also i think it was clearly a deep album, and it's ok to have some joyfull moments too  (DIC, JW...). Also PI I think it's a great song... But if Gaga goes down that hybrid and digs in that sound, she can clearly make something Amazing out of this. I hope she'll experiment that further. 

hello hello baby.

giskardsb
16 hours ago, Wolf said:

I think if she has a concept in her mind, she should fully commit to it, not like having a random ass song about masturbation in an album named after your aunt.

I don't know why people keep using this argument.  First, Gaga's concepts are never that tight.   Just because the album was named after Joanne doesn't mean the entire album was going to follow that theme.    DIC is not "about" masturbation, it's about loneliness and need, so it does fit into the overall theme of the album as the whole thing is loosely targeted towards personal relationships.   For some reason though people keep trotting out DIC in order to discredit the album.    In reality, the tacked on "monster" theme for TFM is a much more forced attempt at applying a concept IMO.

Andrea B
17 hours ago, Wolf said:

It was a personal album but it felt somehow distant. Though, the sincerity from Joanne and Million Reasons were a standout.

did you even listen to DIC? lol the song is about loneliness and her sexuality, that's personal. 

Archived