Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Joanne should have been bolder

Featured Posts

Sneaky Oliver
2 minutes ago, Didymus said:

I mean, sure they're inspirational in an easy-on-the-ear instantly understandable way but there are hardly any lyrical revelations or moments of genius on there :toofunny:

I get it but then I think of songs like Speechless and Dope and think: nope, she's done so much better in the past. I mean, sure, you could also argue that Demi Lovato's songs are inspirational and autobiographical but... why?

I don't think she was going for "moments of genius". I think she intended to write simple effective in-your-face lyrics that we all can relate instead of alluding to her popstar persona alà ARTPOP. I appreciate how raw and genuine the lyrics were. But I agree the lyrical content on Speechless or Dope and even older ballads are superior to the ones from Joanne.

I’m on my Legacy Act era

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That J

@jujubaruda Exactly. The topic has come up before and it's rather interesting how, when it does, its refered to as a famous or infamous name. 

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

Nikolai Barrow

I am amazed how much this fan base hates on Joanne since it did great things for her career and has some killer songs 

Nuggets
27 minutes ago, monketsharona said:

I hate those threads in which Joanne fans say Joanne is her authentic era in which she showed talent and actually shading not directly her first 4 albums.

As if she needed Joanne to show she is talented. Seriously 

lucille-portable.gif

Only real Monsters know talent and authenticity were here since The Fame ;) 

Exactly, monsters. The GP didn't know about her talent until she realeased C2C/Joanne, cause they weren't distracted by her outfits and crazy persona. I may not be a fan of the album but i like to give credit where credit is due :hor:

Favorite McDonald's Snack

The "Joanne" narrative and concept had not enough material to be stretched to an era. 

It should have been just the song, Joanne ( WDYTYGKBBJVNHBK piano version ) and that's it.

As for the "most personal" album narrative, Gags please, Dancin' in circle and Angel Down get so good together... :huntyga:

It clearly lacked coherence 

monketsharona
6 minutes ago, Nuggets said:

Exactly, monsters. The GP didn't know about her talent until she realeased C2C/Joanne, cause they weren't distracted by her outfits and crazy persona. I may not be a fan of the album but i like to give credit where credit is due :hor:

Totally but I'm just done with those 'fans' pretending she wasn't authentic before Joanne. If those people needed that album especially to know she is talented, well maybe they're not stanning the right person. 

MrDarkGa

Joanne is by far my favourite Gaga album and often my go-to album in general. I got the same tattoo as Gaga last year, in the same place, coincidentally on her birthday.

The vocals are so raw and clean. The themes and visuals are beautiful. I feel that it is so bold for Gaga because its so tamed and 'normal(?)'. It is her most "Gaga brand" album because its unexpected and new for her. It was total reinvention with no relation or aspects of past eras as her first 4 albums, while different in their own ways, do share aspects. But this is totally removed from that "mold" and is, above all, vocally her most consistent. Its a strong vocal performance after another from start to finish. This album cant be boxed with her other albums because its unrelated and I always see it as her second step since 2015 to the success she is raking in today. 

My only real critique is that, given its name, I hoped it would have had more family related songs a'la Speechless about her dad or even a song about her sister or her mother. 

giskardsb

thread proving that Gaga fans always interpret her work through their own expectations.  I mean thats fine, but ultimately Gaga is the one who decides if this album met her standards of being personal.   And saying Joanne has no "soul" is not only incorrect, it's actually the worst insult you can throw at a songwriter/performer.  You are saying her heart wasn't in it, which is clearly not true, and that it had no meaning to her, which is also clearly not true.   People throw the "no soul" excuse out all the time just as a way of saying they personally don't connect with the songs, but it's a horrible thing to say about someones art that they put time, feeling, and emotion into.   It's basically a slap in Gaga's face.

Stephen

I think Perfect Illusion is a banger and Million Reasons is a beautiful ballad, I view them as two sides of the same coin as Gaga working through her split with Taylor. And the song Joanne is great , though I prefer the piano version.

Other than those tracks I rarely listen to the album anymore. The upbeat songs clearly pale in comparison to those on her other albums and the "personal" lyrics are not nearly as personal as previous moments in her discography - Dope, Speechless, even MTN and TEOG are more emotionally charged for me than the majority of Joanne. :sure: 

I slightly disagree, I think @River aptly described the purpose of Joanne, however I do feel it could have been a bit sonically bolder? I think the lyrics were very well done but I was hoping for some very rich production from Beck and Kevin Parker in particular. It was a great album, and still my favourite of Gaga's but I just feel like the genre has been heard a lot before. She could stick with a country-inspired but still make it sound fresh imo.

Didymus
26 minutes ago, MrDarkGa said:

I feel that it is so bold for Gaga because its so tamed and 'normal(?)'. It is her most "Gaga brand" album because its unexpected and new for her. It was total reinvention with no relation or aspects of past eras as her first 4 albums, while different in their own ways, do share aspects.

:awkney:

I completely disagree. As much as Joanne fans like to pretend the music was so sonically different from Gaga's previous albums, it's just not true.

She's always worked acoustic sounds into her songs from the very beginning and in some cases there are earlier tracks that sound like they could've actually fit right on Joanne (I'm thinking obviously of Yoü and I but also of Brown Eyes, the "Country Road" version of BTW, the second half of The Queen, Speechless and Dope).

Vice versa, there are plenty of songs from Joanne that could've perfectly been presented on earlier albums, most obviously JW, DIC and PI. To say there's no shared aspects is a huge stretch for me :air: At the end of the day most of Joanne's tracks are simple written and structured pop songs that are melodically quite similar to what she's written in the past, especially in the verses.

Suspiria

I feel like the GP and many fans were tricked by the way the album was presented visually into thinking it is somehow more revealing, personal and "stripped back" (whatever that means...).

But she didn't actually reveal anything on this album she hadn't already revealed. She didn't show a side to her we hadn't already seen. And honestly her vocals weren't any better, and certainly not any more natural sounding, on it than her past albums.

The truth is if she'd worn high fashion and done good videos for Joanne no one would've ever thought this album was any more personal than her past albums:reductive:

McYves

Crying over spilled milk? OK :oops:

Don't wanna kiss, don't wanna touch, just drink my ****ing coffee and watch 90's cartoons and hush

lost in limbo

I love the album and I get it, but I do agree it didn't reach it's full potential. imo she could've gone some places she didn't, but it is what it is.

this is the state of grace, this is the worthwhile fight

Archived