Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
opinion

Saturated Pop Image(s)

FentyGa

Featured Posts

FentyGa

So there are a lot of artists in this business that start off with a very pop star image, and eventually go off to do their thing.
Do you have a favourite? Are you a fan of these? Do you prefer these artists before or after?

Lady Gaga
01-lady-gaga-400.jpglady-gaga-3.jpg

Jessie J
jessie-j-197560.png225fd7f2edf8b4ddc7a0bdcb6ba6af77.jpg

Nicki Minaj
2011-04-05-13-53-19-4-nicki-minaj-wore-awhat-is-payola-term-revealed-after-nicki

Ariana Grande
Ariana-Grande-Style-Evolution-2015-Blog.Grande.jpg

Kesha
kesha-0845b11c071fb200859a805157bfaef03fkesha%202018.jpg

Katy Perry (ok Katy didn't debut this way but her peak/poppiest era was then)
Katy+Perry+2010+MTV+Movie+Awards+owoF4C3katy-perry-smile-red-jan-16-2018-billboa

wow looking at these old pics makes me realize gaga really made an impact on hairstyles with those bangs :lolly:

angels forever, forever angels

PinkJelly

The second photo of Jessie J isn’t really a representation of what she looks like now. Wasn’t the bald head/cropped blonde only around during the ‘Alive’ album cycle? She’s had two albums since then and is back to long black locks! 

Kesha’s is my favourite. Although her journey has been a rough one it’s one I can relate to and I’ve loved seeing her grow and shed the image she was given at the start of her career.

4 minutes ago, misunderstood said:

Gaga's & Ariana's :heart:

Are u blind? The only thing difference in Ariana is het complexion! 

:wtfga:

misunderstood
3 minutes ago, TMM90 said:

Are u blind? The only thing difference in Ariana is het complexion! 

:wtfga:

Yeah and I love it! 

:awkney:

"I'd rather be poor and happy, than rich and alone"

DeleteMyAccount

Gosh I remember when Entertainment Weekly had a spread about Kesha when she first came onto the scene, and I was like but we just got Gaga.. haha

Of course I'd say Gaga is my favorite look though. She inspired many others during that time. 

edengowon

I prefer all the transformations except for Katy, Teenage Dream was everything

the artist formerly known as melancholia

StrawberryBlond

It just shows what chameleons popstars are. They evolve to adapt to the current music scene, that's their innate nature. And for some of them, as their real side comes out more, when they're starting to get more artistic freedom, they usually go through a big image change, physically as well as sonically. And sometimes it wins them fans, sometimes it doesn't. Notice how Jessie and Katy went through their least successful eras with short hair? Long hair is a staple for popstar success, Pink being the one big exception, Rihanna when she went through her cropped phase. And being skinny is sadly, the preferred body type. Makes me wonder how the new popstars will look like in years to come.

43 minutes ago, witchcocktor said:

Ariana Grande

1549798118119.jpg

Whenever I see this side-by-side comparison, my brain can't even process that it's the same person. And it's more than just the tan and the hair, I think she's also had facial surgery. I don't know how anyone can look at this and use the "Italians can tan very dark" excuse. If that was the case, she would be darker back then. The image on the right is clearly the result of a heavy spray tan. A real tan isn't that perfectly even with no white patches round her eyes where sunglasses would be worn, no tan lines and I doubt Ariana would risk aging her skin by naturally tanning anyway, which is widely considered fairly outdated and unhealthy these days. I'm sure she wants to be perceived as darker to attract a racially diverse group of fans rather than just white girls to maximise profits. I've considered that her label have encouraged this.

Smother Em Eh

I much prefer their pop images (especially Katy Perry and Jessie J) but I love both of Gaga’s. 

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

Archived