Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Where would Judas have debuted if it had a full week?

Born To Slay

Featured Posts

SCHEISSEMONTRE
58 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

It WAS top 10 (#10) even without a full tracking week.

Sksksks 

Mychal

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PerfectExca
1 hour ago, Inferno said:

Well let me rephrase, I understand some of the single choices from Born This Way/ARTPOP. As you said, Applause was a safer choice then Aura to a degree. But what I meant was, I don't understand why they would bother with such a mentality and in doing so, I feel there were better lead single choices than Applause if they were going to go a safer route with mild eccentricity anyway? Sexxx Dreams, GUY, even Do What U Want production wise (if we hypothetically omit RKellys involvement for a minute here) imo had more potential for popularity and longevity than Applause which Gaga has basically on multiple occasions admitted was Troy's choice and not her own. Which leads me to believe he just heard its EDM influence and in a 2013 world was like yup, that one. Idk. Perfect Illusion is a bit of a puzzle, I agree with you, the chorus and the fact that it was the closest thing to a  fast paced "banger" Joanne had made them think it had potential when it clearly did not OR they were just so far into their own work they lost sight of what could actually succeed. I feel John Wayne was Gaga enough but also Joanne enough to be a better bridge between ARTPOP and her then new album imo.

Applause is the most commercial and radio friendly song from ARTPOP, which is why it did pretty well. The only reason it wasn't #1 was due to split attention from the GP between Roar and Applause. Applause was a fantastic single choice, Gypsy was a missed opportunity. Sexxx Dreams and G.U.Y. would've majorly flopped though. DWUW would not have been as successful as Applause.

The sun will rise each day. Will you?

Inferno
37 minutes ago, EmperorExca said:

Applause is the most commercial and radio friendly song from ARTPOP, which is why it did pretty well. The only reason it wasn't #1 was due to split attention from the GP between Roar and Applause. Applause was a fantastic single choice, Gypsy was a missed opportunity. Sexxx Dreams and G.U.Y. would've majorly flopped though. DWUW would not have been as successful as Applause.

GUY would absolutely not have flopped. The only reason it did, was because it came at the tail end of the era and no one gave a f*ck, she was already damaged by that point. Had it been the lead? Absolutely would've been more successful than Applause. Period.

Gypsy is nice, commercial+radio friendly, but would've drawn major controversy as Gypsy is a racial slur. In a time where calling out was the new thing, and think pieces were already written on Gypsy even not being a single, imagine it being a single? Would've not only flopped, but done damage to her already damaged image at that point.

DWUW absolutely would have been more successful as applause as a lead single as well. Jesus, like, I really can't disagree with you anymore than I do lol

Applause did decent due to it being the lead and its hardcore radio push only, its a mediocre track that people felt lukewarm about which is exactly why its not iconic and has had zero longevity in the scope of her singles. /end rant.

35 minutes ago, EmperorExca said:

I’m kinda glad it was, we avoided some sort of backlash.

ImpossiblePrincess

Somewhere around #7-#3 because yk easter

Welcome to GagaDaily, it looks like things just got messgendary.

2 hours ago, Kitsch said:

Perfect Illusion is the only odd choice because I think Diamond Heart would have better represented the album Joanne, while still being an uptempo track but maybe the repetition 'It wasn't love, it wasn't love' in the chorus was very tempting to them and seemed more like a radio-type of chorus, and hence that choice.

If they wanted upbeat repetition to start of Joanne they should’ve gone with the good sis A-Yo

PerfectExca
43 minutes ago, Inferno said:

GUY would absolutely not have flopped. The only reason it did, was because it came at the tail end of the era and no one gave a f*ck, she was already damaged by that point. Had it been the lead? Absolutely would've been more successful than Applause. Period.

Gypsy is nice, commercial+radio friendly, but would've drawn major controversy as Gypsy is a racial slur. In a time where calling out was the new thing, and think pieces were already written on Gypsy even not being a single, imagine it being a single? Would've not only flopped, but done damage to her already damaged image at that point.

DWUW absolutely would have been more successful as applause as a lead single as well. Jesus, like, I really can't disagree with you anymore than I do lol

Applause did decent due to it being the lead and its hardcore radio push only, its a mediocre track that people felt lukewarm about which is exactly why its not iconic and has had zero longevity in the scope of her singles. /end rant.

Yes I agree Gypsy would've been controversial but a hit nonetheless, Gaga has stated personally she lives for trouble, I don't think she'd mind tbh.There is no way on God's green earth G.U.Y. would have out done Applause. G.U.Y. wouldn't have even out performed a Venus or Manicure lead. I will admit that I have a soft spot for Applause as it is my favorite genre of music, but even pushing that aside I fail to see how its signature intro production, VERY catchy bridge and explosive chorus would be outdone by DWUW which definitely should have been bigger than it already was but  really nothing special. It's bridge is a bit catchy and the chorus is pretty good. That's about it.  The only thing going for DWUW that Applause doesn't have is the fact that it would have garnered a different audience from Roar listeners and therefore outperform Roar on pop radio and peak on formats Applause couldn't, but even there we are reaching. Applause mediocre, people felt lukewarm aboutit ? Sir at this point it's just wrong. Despite the rivalry with the superior GP pop star (and imo opinion superior song) Applause was still in the top 10 for 14 weeks.  It literally has had more longevity on HBB100 than any Gaga single to date (besides Shallow) since Bad Romance. Despite Born this way peaking at #1 for several weeks, it did not even stay top 10 for 10 weeks. Applause did GREAT considering it was coming off the controversial Judas, final single (undeservedly) flop Marry the Night, and unlucky timing with Roar. No matter how much payola you use, you CANNOT succeed on radio if you don't garner listeners and requests.  It is because of Applause's spectacular composition that made it a radio hit and ultimately held it upright.I think DWUW is a solid 2nd single choice and with a proper video and release, and different timing for Applause release, could've set up for a top 5. It is incorrect to  Applause is mediocre though, it is often overshadowed by songs like BR , PF, or EoG in the GP or BM, HML, Sexx Dreams in this fanbase but is still her top selling song since its release and is still an iconic electro pop song in her discography.Edit: By bridge I mean prechorus as some people refer to it.

The sun will rise each day. Will you?

That J
2 hours ago, Inferno said:

I think both Sexxx Dreams and GUY are simply better pop songs that highlight Gaga being Gaga while still being commercially accessible for casual listeners. Whereas I think Applause has a bit of a lazy chorus and bridge and flatlines a bit. I like Applause, never been enamored with it in the same way I was with Sexxx Dreams slick groovy production or GUY as a sort of hard slamming dance/pop track. Applause is so middling by comparison IMO. If they were trying to go for safe Gagafied I just think Sex and GUY were more dynamic. Thats really what im trying to say I guess, they're just cooler to me and I think would've clicked more with audiences especially if they were given lead single treatment. Had GUY been given the radio attention that Applause was given? IMO that sh*t would've smashed in a way that Applause couldn't. Not saying Applause wasn't successful but imo, it hit a wall that those other songs would not have.

It's funny. I think G.U.Y. is one of her worst songs. It's so boring. But a fan fave!!!

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

Guillaume Hamon
Just now, That J said:

It's funny. I think G.U.Y. is one of her worst songs. It's so boring. But a fan fave!!!

It's catchy tho? No? :D

That J
26 minutes ago, Guillaume Hamon said:

It's catchy tho? No? :D

I love the beginning and the very end and the word play is nice but the rest is a snoozefest lol. The chorus makes me tired. 

Other than GUY, Hey Girl and Summerboy, her music is flawless. 

Chromatislaps
4 hours ago, That J said:

I just know the only time I ever hear of Judas and a controversy, it's in the fan base and never with the GP.  That was always a cute idea but never truly happened ...at least not as big as some seem to remember it being. 

Regardless, it didnt hurt the album really. Edge was quickly released and helped alot and then You and I became a GP fave. 

Now she is so after the fact, they rarely discuss Bad Romance. It's all the new and the now the GP is about anyway.  

it's less of a controversial song compared to Like A Prayer was back in the day, I think SJW culture also contributes to the nitpicking and backlash :saladga: 

That J
8 minutes ago, Flopplause said:

it's less of a controversial song compared to Like A Prayer was back in the day, I think SJW culture also contributes to the nitpicking and backlash :saladga: 

I just remember that time so vividly and never heard a thing about it. For a newer fan to read things these days, youd think it was some HUGE ordeal and it was really a dust of sand. Lol. But doesnt matter really. It's a great song, amazing video....I prefer it over Bad Romance anyday! 

Plus opinions are like you know what and every has one. Haha

Bradley
6 hours ago, Inferno said:

I think both Sexxx Dreams and GUY are simply better pop songs that highlight Gaga being Gaga while still being commercially accessible for casual listeners. Whereas I think Applause has a bit of a lazy chorus and bridge and flatlines a bit. I like Applause, never been enamored with it in the same way I was with Sexxx Dreams slick groovy production or GUY as a sort of hard slamming dance/pop track. Applause is so middling by comparison IMO. If they were trying to go for safe Gagafied I just think Sex and GUY were more dynamic. Thats really what im trying to say I guess, they're just cooler to me and I think would've clicked more with audiences especially if they were given lead single treatment. Had GUY been given the radio attention that Applause was given? IMO that sh*t would've smashed in a way that Applause couldn't. Not saying Applause wasn't successful but imo, it hit a wall that those other songs would not have.

Glad to see some G.U.Y. love in its post-flop era. The fans are so easily affected by the chart performance of a song that once a fan-favourite is now regarded as a dated EDM track.

I was so much hoping for Gaga to sing G.U.Y. at the Enigma residency, with a revised arrangement and new choreography (without completely changing the old one) it could send fans into a frenzy when performed live.

That said Applause is so catchy I don't think anything f should be done differently, except maybe it should have a longer bridge, and I am perfectly fine with the choice of it being a lead single.

It's 2019 and this fanbase is still sore about Judas aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

Bradley
4 hours ago, Maleficent said:

If they wanted upbeat repetition to start of Joanne they should’ve gone with the good sis A-Yo

But let's be honest A-YO is so country that it might not be supported by the dance community like nightclubs and such. Also it is so freaking radically different from a regular pop song.

Archived