Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
opinion

Katy's Halftime Show is Underrated

Suspiria

Featured Posts

Zander

Sure her voice wasn't amazing on that performance but I thought it was great and most importantly she really put on a show. It was totally on brand for her and felt authentic. 

If someone were to ask me to show them a video showcasing her as an artist I'd show them that.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Suspiria
15 minutes ago, IcePrincess said:

I think it's overrated - in GP minds...

It's the production - it's good but not Katy herself.

Gaga didn't need all of the WOW factor from production, big lions, big screens and animations. Just herself

Let's not act like Gaga's jump from the roof wasn't the biggest gimmick ever lol.

17 minutes ago, AlexanderMagno said:

Well, it's true that she deliver an extraordinary production.

I think the issue there is that it was too kitsch. Sometimes too childish, silly. Too Katy Perry show. And the Halftime Show is delivered by Katy Perry, which doesn't mean it's a Katy Perry show. She was not able to create something halfway that.

And the vocals were not good.

8 minutes ago, nikola said:

Tbh it was too childis.. at leas for me.

11 minutes ago, Jaume said:

I think it's one of the best  halftime shows when it comes to  show the whole career of an artist because it's not an easy thing to do... but at that time, her whole career was a big hit. 

Other than that it was so childish 

You're saying it's too childish, but that was her thing - just unabashedly cheery, lighthearted, wholesome pop that is accessible to everyone. It's what made her so successful and stand out so much. And her halftime show was a great reflection and celebration of that.

Ally Campana
On 2/5/2019 at 1:45 AM, Suspiria said:

Let's not act like Gaga's jump from the roof wasn't the biggest gimmick ever lol.

It’s not.:oops:. not when you have to sing live with it. That takes talent and practice.

Does it matter? Damage is done

River

There's only one to blame

giphy.gif

He took all the spotlight from Katy

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta

Suspiria
16 minutes ago, theahsfan said:

Strip the theatrics (which were the best part) and what do you get? 

Strip the theatrics and you have nothing because... it's THEATRE?:awkney:

Strip a clown of his makeup and he's just an ordinary guy. The point of theatrics and artifice is to make life more entertaining and fun. So Katy, as an entertainer, turned up the theatrics to 10 and put on a super fun and enjoyable show.

Would you ever say "strip Gaga of her theatrics and what do you get"? No, because the theatrics are just as important (arguably much more important) as her voice in making her entertaining and interesting.:trollga:

46 minutes ago, Suspiria said:

I noticed in all these recent "best halftime show" lists Katy Perry's never places very high. Which is a shame because she put on a pretty flawless production...

except the production had a flaw ... and it's HER

7 minutes ago, Suspiria said:

Strip the theatrics and you have nothing because... it's THEATRE?:awkney:

Strip a clown of his makeup and he's just an ordinary guy. The point of theatrics and artifice is to make life more entertaining and fun. So Katy, as an entertainer, turned up the theatrics to 10 and put on a super fun and enjoyable show.

Would you ever say "strip Gaga of her theatrics and what do you get"? No, because the theatrics are just as important (arguably much more important) as her voice in making her entertaining and interesting.:trollga:

You would still get an incredible talented singer and artist .... U can strip Gaga away from props and production and she would still make it artsy and dramatic because it is in her . Katy on the other hand has nothing but theatrics other people put around her. 

Thonin Dyn

I re-watched it earlier today, the way she perform firework is... mind blowing

Serve it, Ancient City style!

FfFfFfFF
58 minutes ago, Suspiria said:

I noticed in all these recent "best halftime show" lists Katy Perry's never places very high. Which is a shame because she put on a pretty flawless production...

her relevancy and success. Compare this to Gaga, who only sang songs from the first 2 years of her almost decade-long career (plus the non-hit MR shoehorned in because it was the Joanne era), which kind of did make her seem like a fad. Where's late BTW, ARTPOP and C2C representation?

14963054ff1e6fc1df557f712ff4c8de.gif

Gagas1Person

If Katy was up to perform at the Super Bowl after the Witness Era, be sure of the fact that none of the songs of the album would have made It to the setlist, just like ARTPOP. 

Anyway, the artist is not just a production, in the whole complexity of that Halftime, Katy gets Lost inside of the production, you can't really pay attention to her because of all the props and if you do, you can clearly see her lipsyncing, especially during California Gurls. 

BTW I stan an Halftime where a ho sings her way through the set while being the center of the attention, not a stepped up version of a Year-ending kindergarden play. 

I didn't choose Gaga, Gaga chose me

Suspiria
18 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

14963054ff1e6fc1df557f712ff4c8de.gif

I mean it lasted like 2 years, it was a pretty sizeable chunk of her career. Her and Tony as a jazz duo is definitely "a thing" that she is known for now.

Plus if she was willing to waste a few precious minutes singing those America songs no one wanted, surely she could've sung some beloved C2C instead?:laughga:

Suspiria
40 minutes ago, EKai said:

You would still get an incredible talented singer and artist .... U can strip Gaga away from props and production and she would still make it artsy and dramatic because it is in her . Katy on the other hand has nothing but theatrics other people put around her. 

So you're saying Gaga would still be known as the world-renowned spectacular performer megastar she is today without all the costumes, props, sets and choreo? Of course she wouldn't.

A good voice is great and all, but you need more than that to put on a real spectacle. Otherwise you're no different than the billions of other people with good voices out there.

Runway

Nah her performance was forgettable and she was upstaged by a shark and Missy Elliot, that’s why she never makes best of lists, unlike Gaga whose performance can only be battled by those of Michael Jackson and Prince ::nick:

Suspiria
29 minutes ago, Gagas1Person said:

If Katy was up to perform at the Super Bowl after the Witness Era, be sure of the fact that none of the songs of the album would have made It to the setlist, just like ARTPOP. 

Anyway, the artist is not just a production, in the whole complexity of that Halftime, Katy gets Lost inside of the production, you can't really pay attention to her because of all the props and if you do, you can clearly see her lipsyncing, especially during California Gurls. 

BTW I stan an Halftime where a ho sings her way through the set while being the center of the attention, not a stepped up version of a Year-ending kindergarden play. 

I suppose you're right. But still, to not represent any of her work from 2011-2017 makes it seem like she was just a fad with a few hits in 2009.

Honestly I'm just bitter about the ARTPOP snub:selena:

However, Katy didn't lipsync? You can hear her getting out of breath in California Gurls.

I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree about the production...

Archived