❤︎ ❤︎ ❤︎
opinion

Leigh Bowery and Lady Gaga

OMonster

Featured Posts

JazzGa

I think it's important to consider that designers are the ones who actually copy/reference popular artists from the past, and modern pop stars just purchase and wear the designs that are out there. For example, I think it would be disingenuous for someone to accuse Gaga of "copying" Leigh Bowery for wearing the Maison Martin Margiela crystal hood, when the responsibility should be placed on MMM since they designed it. 

I've taken a few dips in the lady pond

4 minutes ago, Satans Ex Wife said:

I think it's important to consider that designers are the ones who actually copy/reference popular artists from the past, and modern pop stars just purchase and wear the designs that are out there. For example, I think it would be disingenuous for someone to accuse Gaga of "copying" Leigh Bowery for wearing the Maison Martin Margiela crystal hood, when the responsibility should be placed on MMM since they designed it. 

If you're talking about my post, I have to say that I NEVER said that Gaga "copied" Leigh Bowery for wearing the Margiela's hood. I just pointed the inspiration behind that piece. 

Didymus
2 hours ago, AlexanderMagno said:

I always laugh when we called it "referencing" whenever Gaga does it.

:rip:

So true.

2 hours ago, AlexanderMagno said:

However, remember that Gaga started her career by explicitly referencing pop culture. She used Bowie symbols, Madonna symbols, and lots of other artists', and have always claimed that her art is based in a sort of pop icons collage and reinterpretations. She was actually very smart then, because truthfully she has always admitted she was kind of a vessel for pop culture history. It's a good insurance to protect yourself from the copy claims when it's about her aesthetics. So I guess this is the case.

100% agreed. She's been in reference rage mode from day one, and it's never been a secret. In fact it's been fun to try to catch her references :flutter: Esp during her The Fame era omg it was everywhere. I definitely agree it's smart to do because it's a handy card to play when you're criticized for being unoriginal, on the other hand we know Gaga's a passionate art nerd at her core, so there is some authenticity there. I like that combo. It's what pop is all about.

Thanks for the compliment about my posts, too :runhug:

JazzGa
10 minutes ago, Pietro said:

If you're talking about my post, I have to say that I NEVER said that Gaga "copied" Leigh Bowery for wearing the Margiela's hood. I just pointed the inspiration behind that piece. 

No lmao I am not accusing you personally of ~*~not worhsipping gagi enough~*~,  just talking about how when we discuss artistic "copying"/referencing, people forget about designers, and jump straight to the pop stars who wear designer, in general. Settle on down and get comfy again sis.

I've taken a few dips in the lady pond

3 hours ago, That J said:

Exactly and it's worth noting there is a fine line between being inspired by and just plain out copying. Gaga has come a long way in that regard. 

Within this topic, she has learned to be inspired and is using the inspiration correctly unlike in the past where there was clearly the Vogue video in Alejandro or the Express Yourself video in Born This Way.  I'll forever say had she not wore a suit on a platform in the video, the two songs would have NEVER been compared. 

So it's a fine line and this inspiration is adding a unique quality to her work and it feels like Lady Gaga! 

There was purpose in directly referencing Vogue in the Alejandro video. I think critics really tend to not see the purpose of her references. Sometimes it pays to bury them but she herself was front and center in this blatant reference. She *wanted* people to know what she was doing (in that case)

That J
2 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

There was purpose in directly referencing Vogue in the Alejandro video. I think critics really tend to not see the purpose of her references. Sometimes it pays to bury them but she herself was front and center in this blatant reference. She *wanted* people to know what she was doing (in that case)

Like BoomKat said "yea we stole so we could show kids its ok".   Moronic qoute but she said it.  Lol

My point was Gaga has gotten better with her references. It was no shade. 

And wanting people to know...did nothing so idk the point but it's a good video still.  

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

OMonster
2 hours ago, Lord Temptation said:

Gaga has always honoured underground, subversive, transgressive, drag and queer culture. That’s just who she is. I just wish as many people knew about Leigh Bowery and Willy Ninja as they do Bowie and Madonna.

I completely agree with you here. 

In order to truly and comprehensively understand Gaga and where she comes from, you have to first understand the likes of Bowery for sure. It really helps to explain why Gaga is the artist she is and how, ultimately, she will always return to this very specific style of hers and so many others. 

subtext / fantasy

Lord Temptation
19 hours ago, OMonster said:

I completely agree with you here. 

In order to truly and comprehensively understand Gaga and where she comes from, you have to first understand the likes of Bowery for sure. It really helps to explain why Gaga is the artist she is and how, ultimately, she will always return to this very specific style of hers and so many others. 

I can’t wait for the Met Gala where she hosts and the theme is “camp”. Oh my god i can’t wait! Gaga is queer to the core and like you say she will always return to it.

Archived