music news

Billboard Critics: Best Albums of 2018

DiscoHeaven23

Featured Posts

edengowon
1 minute ago, Flopplause said:

how was it ruined by the MJ collab :triggered: 

That was the only thing elevating the entire project

The collab was mediocre at best, the vocal effects were pretty bad, that's just my opinion though

The rest is trash in my opinion

the artist formerly known as melancholia

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chromatislaps
Just now, ARealWildMan said:

The collab was mediocre at best, the vocal effects were pretty bad, that's just my opinion though

The rest is trash in my opinion

oh yeah the autotune was bad :giveup: they did MJ bad on that one. But it could have sounded better and more MJ-ish with a different instrumental. This instrumental was so un-MJ-ish

Sweetener doesn't deserve to be in that list #sorrynotsorry. This is a perfect example of how some websites will say whatever the fans want to hear or a great example of overrated

edengowon
Just now, Flopplause said:

oh yeah the autotune was bad :giveup: they did MJ bad on that one. But it could have sounded better and more MJ-ish with a different instrumental. This instrumental was so un-MJ-ish

Yeah my friend is a major MJ stan and he said he almost cried at the vocal effects

The sad thing is, that story is completely true :saladga:

Chromatislaps
Just now, ARealWildMan said:

Yeah my friend is a major MJ stan and he said he almost cried at the vocal effects

The sad thing is, that story is completely true :saladga:

I'm an MJ stan as well...I had to create a remix of the track to make it feel more like MJ. I'm going to use the instrumental I made for that remix for my own album...but if you like I can dm you a snippet?

edengowon
1 minute ago, Flopplause said:

I'm an MJ stan as well...I had to create a remix of the track to make it feel more like MJ. I'm going to use the instrumental I made for that remix for my own album...but if you like I can dm you a snippet?

Yeah that'd be great :) 

I'm not a major MJ fan, I only really know a few of his songs but I can definitely appreciate his talent

It's sad sweetener being considered the best with Cardi B. What a shitty year...the critics this year are payola

What if tomorrow I see you again? Should I say that I used to love you?

MJHolland
43 minutes ago, SKANK said:

But Nicki, Christina, Demi, and Taylor are are ruthlessly discussed as The Chainsmokers, Shawn Mendes, Zayne, and Kanye. 

I absolutely disagree.

Female artists are 100% criticized harsher than their male counterparts -- in the real world and on GGD -- not to mention the fact that they're often attacked on the basis of their gender as a means to question the merit of their work. I challenge you to find a debate on GGD about two female artists that doesn't eventually devolve into gender-based insults/insinuations. (If you manage to find one, I'll show you ten more that drudge up casual misogyny).   

And despite how flagrantly Kanye displays toxic masculinity, there are troves of GGD users who rush to the defense of his genius. Hell, even Admin, who rarely posts here as you know, defended Shawn Mendes amidst his "don't call me gay because it gives me nightmares" controversy and basically issued an open warning to anyone who dares to call him a hunty. 

Not a single person in this thread has even scoffed at Billboard putting Astroworld at #7 despite the fact that Travis Scott loves to say the word "f*ggot". 

Yet Ariana, who was named Billboard's Woman of the Year of her awesome achievements and her stellar track record advocating for women, is being criticized in just about every reply to this thread. Hmmm...

I don't know if you are trying to imply that female artists are treated equally to their male counterparts, but the idea that casual misogyny is not alive and well on GGD is a losing argument. 

27 minutes ago, MJHolland said:

I absolutely disagree.

Female artists are 100% criticized harsher than their male counterparts -- in the real world and on GGD -- not to mention the fact that they're often attacked on the basis of their gender as a means to question the merit of their work. I challenge you to find a debate on GGD about two female artists that doesn't eventually devolve into gender-based insults/insinuations. (If you manage to find one, I'll show you ten more that drudge up casual misogyny).   

And despite how flagrantly Kanye displays toxic masculinity, there are troves of GGD users who rush to the defense of his genius. Hell, even Admin, who rarely posts here as you know, defended Shawn Mendes amidst his "don't call me gay because it gives me nightmares" controversy and basically issued an open warning to anyone who dares to call him a hunty. 

Not a single person in this thread has even scoffed at Billboard putting Astroworld at #7 despite the fact that Travis Scott loves to say the word "f*ggot". 

Yet Ariana, who was named Billboard's Woman of the Year of her awesome achievements and her stellar track record advocating for women, is being criticized in just about every reply to this thread. Hmmm...

I don't know if you are trying to imply that female artists are treated equally to their male counterparts, but the idea that casual misogyny is not alive and well on GGD is a losing argument. 

The point of my post was only that "toxicity" is not new feature to this site, as you suggested. I don't know if you have been here long, but this site has always been fairly catty when discussing other musicians.

I agree with you though, the way male and female artists are discussed by the public and press is not equal. I however, do not agree that this site (which is comprised almost exclusively by women and gay men who worship women) mirrors that inequality exactly. As a whole, this site is pretty ruthless when it comes to discussing everyone.

SpamMusubi

I actually think it's pretty cool that a female artist's album was chosen for their number 1 pick. Also, let's try to be happy for other artists as well as Gagz:party:

Sushi is my one true passion

Dirty Computer and ASIB soundtrack should 100% be in the top row. Robyn ‘Honey’ and MNEK ‘Language’ should also be higher. Sweetener is overrated to hell, Gaga outsold

Some albums should be higher(like ASIB) and some of them are way too high and should be waaay lower(sweetener I am talking to you) 

But I am happy for some of this like honey and dirty computer 

I've got an "F" and a "C" and I got a "K" too And the only thing that is missing is a bitch like "U"

MJHolland
2 hours ago, SKANK said:

The point of my post was only that "toxicity" is not new feature to this site, as you suggested. I don't know if you have been here long, but this site has always been fairly catty when discussing other musicians.

I agree with you though, the way male and female artists are discussed by the public and press is not equal. I however, do not agree that this site (which is comprised almost exclusively by women and gay men who worship women) mirrors that inequality exactly. As a whole, this site is pretty ruthless when it comes to discussing everyone.

I've been visiting this site for almost seven years now and I feel pretty comfortable saying that there has been a recent rise is toxic posting and meanness, especially towards women. Of course, I don't know if this trend will be sustained, but it's troubling. 

Spoiler

I'm going through finals at the moment, but when I have some free time I'm going to be compiling my thoughts on this in  its own thread, sorry for derailing this one lol 

The idea that gay men, who I believe outnumber cis women on GGD, do not harbor misogyny is... problematic to say the least. I'm the farthest thing from a SJW, but the way I see gay men talk about and treat cis women (in real life and online) is often troubling. 

Sure, gay men may empathize with cis straight women, but just because you are a man that likes other men does not mean you aren't accountable for your casual sexism.

Ariana does so much for women, and imo she doesn't get enough credit for it. Even before she became a megastar, she's been a badass advocate for women AND queen folk. The least we could do it not actively try to rain on her parade.

Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. That is a wonderful, beautiful feature of a free and open internet. But in a circumstance like this, how is it productive in any way, shape, or form to dump a steaming pile of negativity into to world? Cool, I get it, some people don't think she deserves this, but guess what, SHE GOT IT! 

We all (rightfully) hate when Madonna fans sh*t on Gaga and say that she doesn't deserve X or Y nomination. But it's also the genuinely held opinion of those people.

The point in trying to make is that it is tacky, distasteful, toxic, and 'bad karma' (if you believe in that shiz) to diminish someone else's accomplishments -- especially when they seem like a cool and deserving person. 

DiscoHeaven23
3 hours ago, nicolasrumet said:

No.

Ever since "Best Pop Solo Performance" category was created, no song was ever nominated unless it charted on Billboard. Can you give one example of a song being nominated after the creation of this category (in 2011 or 2012 forgot when it was created).

lol well if your criteria is the category created only 6 years ago that resulted from the merger of male and female then yeah. Technically ur correct. But i'm thinking back to before that

Archived