and you should be banned next:vegas:

Sis i hope you know i was being sarcastic.  :vegas:

💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mister Money
4 hours ago, FinnishGypsy said:

I really can't stay (Baby it's cold outside)
I gotta go away (Baby it's cold outside)
This evening has been (Been hoping that you'd dropped in)
So very nice (I'll hold your hands they're just like ice)
My mother will start to worry (Beautiful what's your hurry?)
My father will be pacing the floor (Listen to the fireplace roar)
So really I'd better scurry (Beautiful please don't hurry)
Well maybe just a half a drink more (I'll put some records on while I pour)

The neighbors might think (Baby it's bad out there)
Say what's in this drink? (No cabs to be had out there)
I wish I knew how (Your eyes are like starlight now)
To break this spell (I'll take your hat, your hair looks swell) (Why thank you)
I ought to say no, no, no sir (Mind if move in closer?)
At least I'm gonna say that I tried (What's the sense of hurtin' my pride?)
I really can't stay (Baby don't hold out)
Baby it's cold outside

Ah, you're very pushy you know?

I like to think of it as opportunistic

I simply must go (Baby it's cold outside)
The answer is no (But baby it's cold outside)
The welcome has been (How lucky that you dropped in)
So nice and warm (Look out the window at that storm)
My sister will be suspicious (Gosh your lips look delicious!)
My brother will be there at the door (Waves upon a tropical shore)
My maiden aunt's mind is vicious (Gosh your lips are delicious!)
Well maybe just a cigarette more (Never such a blizzard before) (And I don't even smoke)

I've got to get home (Baby you'll freeze out there)
Say lend me a coat? (It's up to your knees out there!)
You've really been grand, (I feel when I touch your hand)
But don't you see? (How can you do this thing to me?)—[AKA trying to guilt her because HE is horny; how dare she do this to him and go home to her worried family during a blizzard without first ****ing him].
There's bound to be talk tomorrow (Think of my life long sorrow!)—[Apparently blue balls is now “life long sorrow”]
At least there will be plenty implied (If you caught pneumonia and died!)—[Scare tactics to convince someone to have sex with you rather than die from a terrible illness isn’t exactly my idea of seduction].
I really can't stay (Get over that old out)
Baby it's cold
Baby it's cold outside
Okay fine, just another drink then
That took a lot of convincing!

This song sounds like the Bill Cosby playbook.

girl ur over thinking it

I see signs of consent for example:

Well maybe just a half a drink more (I'll put some records on while I pour)

The welcome has been (How lucky that you dropped in)
So nice and warm (Look out the window at that storm)

she goes on to stay its nice she stayed

Well maybe just a cigarette more

People need to stop making everything date rapey :saladga:

Mister Money
54 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

Ridiculous :lmao:

Whatever, I will still play it on my Christmas party anyway. :lmao:

welcome to todays millenials :ladyhaha:

Gracious Gaga

Good.  The song is a disaster.  Even being a gay man, i can’t tell you the amount of times other men have not taken a simple “no” for an answer and tried and tried to convince me to say yes.  Just like the lyric in the song states, it is a pride issue.  Just for the sake of not hurting a mans a pride, another person should do something they don’t wanna do?  It’s disgusting.

And y’all in this comment section are just...:awkney:

Spoiler

Don’t quote me, I won’t read it.

♥ Kindness Police.

Glamourpuss
4 hours ago, FinnishGypsy said:

I can definitely understand that interpretation aside from the “what’s in this drink?” line. That just sounds like date rape.

And while you may very well be correct in stating the lyrics may not have had any nefarious intentions during the context in which they were initially released, there’s nevertheless a reason we no longer allow all manner of racist, homophobic and sexist media material to continue being released and promoted. Because someone hearing those lyrics now won’t associate them with a flirtation during times when women were sexually oppressed, but rather as a part of the continuing “no means yes” narrative that is causing devastating sexual violence. And it continues being re-recorded and consequently played every year, without any adaptation for the sociopolitical climate, which is wherein the underlying problem is. 

I see what you mean. I hadn't really thought of it like that. 

Catnikko
10 hours ago, derpmonster said:

It is a really date - rapey song though... People don't pay much attention to the lyrics but it is. I never thought of it either until I looked closely.

When Gaga covered it, they reversed the gender roles, which was a nice change. 

Banning it might be too much and unnecessary though. 

:air: So it's rapey and not nice unless a girl sings the male parts, in which it's ok, isn't that hypocritical? :emma:

Actual patient

JohnnyVersace

Honestly the reach of this being about a date rape scenario has always been lost on me. 

We need to go ahead and ban Blurred Lines, What Do You Mean?, and like every R.Kelly song ever created. There are tons of  popular problematic songs out there. IMO, you can acknowledge the issues with a song and still enjoy it based on the music. 

JohnnyVersace
5 hours ago, FinnishGypsy said:

I can definitely understand that interpretation aside from the “what’s in this drink?” line. That just sounds like date rape.

And while you may very well be correct in stating the lyrics may not have had any nefarious intentions during the context in which they were initially released, there’s nevertheless a reason we no longer allow all manner of racist, homophobic and sexist media material to continue being released and promoted. Because someone hearing those lyrics now won’t associate them with a flirtation during times when women were sexually oppressed, but rather as a part of the continuing “no means yes” narrative that is causing devastating sexual violence. And it continues being re-recorded and consequently played every year, without any adaptation for the sociopolitical climate, which is wherein the underlying problem is. 

Ok this is actually a great point. And I totally understand that re-recording it embeds it further into culture. And I'm sure it could be triggering for a lot of people to hear. 

But on the other hand, I really don't think a Christmas Carol is going to implore young men to date rape someone at a holiday party. Like, this isn't the issue. This is a dated song that imo people enjoy for the melody. 

If we want to do something about fighting racism, homophobia and misogyny, let's go after some of the top male rappers/musicians in the game right now who have used "***" in their songs, or talked about ****ing/drugging/raping/cheating/slapping women. Let's bring down the VS Fashion Show, and force them to change their policies and be inclusive to ALL women. Let's stop supporting Dolce & Gabbana. Let's start to reflect our world the way it is, not in a white-washed, male-dominated way. 

You see what I mean? Like if we really are going to get our rocks off on this old-ass song being banned, and act like it's doing anything for society, we're kidding ourselves. It's dated, and honestly the lyrics are very much up for debate (as seen in this thread). Let's set an example using MODERN media, and make real change people care about. Not ****ing banning a damn Christmas Song from 1944. :usrs:

1 hour ago, Shipper said:

Sis i hope you know i was being sarcastic.  :vegas:

I was joking too :vegas:

GypsyBabe
8 hours ago, Sharyu said:

I personally don't think the song is about sexual assult, but rather the social stigma that woman had back then where sex was frowned upon. He doesn't force the drink on her, instead she wants one, and she uses it as an excuse for whats about to go down (consensual sex). And thoroughout all the versions of the song, she isn't in any distress.

I partially agree. The context of the song is what makes the argument difficult and why I think that, though I personally get creepy vibes off of the song, I'm not sure it should necessarily be banned. 

The context of the time is that she is concerned about the social implications of her spending the night with him. As for the man, he is simply using flattery to try and get her to stay. 

Today, the lyrics mirror a "no means yes" narrative though. It's hard to figure out what to do. :saladga: 

⚯͛

VOLANTIS
11 hours ago, derpmonster said:

When Gaga covered it, they reversed the gender roles, which was a nice change. 

If the SJW found the song rapey I don't think reversing the genders will change their minds. 

I'll lift you 3 inches off the ground and drag you to a meter and a half

JusKeepBreathin
1 hour ago, Gracious Gaga said:

Good.  The song is a disaster.  Even being a gay man, i can’t tell you the amount of times other men have not taken a simple “no” for an answer and tried and tried to convince me to say yes.  Just like the lyric in the song states, it is a pride issue.  Just for the sake of not hurting a mans a pride, another person should do something they don’t wanna do?  It’s disgusting.

And y’all in this comment section are just...:awkney:

Hide contents

Don’t quote me, I won’t read it.

Yep. I've bolted for the door a few times and I've also been in the situation where I wasn't out in highschool and the girl I was dating got too sexually agressive and made me feel uncomfortable.  So even reversing the genders bothers me just a little bit, though I did like it when Gaga changed the gender roles with JGL. But, whatever I'm done with arguing against the song. People here lack basic empathy. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Space Cowboy
6 hours ago, FinnishGypsy said:

HAH!

1 in 4 US women are raped at some point throughout their life; >80% never get reported. Of the few rapes that are reported, less than 1/3 of the perpetrators are ever even charged, much less serve any jail time. That indicates a huge underlying fundamental societal problem, and the constant whining about people being “too easily offended” by individuals such as yourself, when statistically the “offended snowflake” in question is likely to have been sexually harassed, assaulted and/or raped at some point, and are now forced to live in a nation where both the POTUS and a member of the SCOTUS are sex offenders, consistently illustrates blatant disrespect to over half of the country’s population. 

But by all means, let us not dare disrespect a ****ing Christmas jingle! 

Babe I’m not even reading this. I obviously have a different opinion and you’re not gonna change it.

Archived