💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Baby It's Cold Outside Banned From Radio

Yuuri

Featured Posts

RahrahWitch

I don't know about banning it but I mean the first time I heard the song I was uncomfortable listening to it. you can't deny the lyrics are very... off

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kimblue
4 hours ago, GypsyBabe said:

Honestly, this song has freaked me out since high school. It’s so creepy and rapey. I understand it was written in 1944, but we have a different view of women now and it is a song about not taking “No” for an answer. :duck:

Not sure if I would try and eradicate it and ban it though. I don’t know, its hard. 

Yeah, I’ve thought the song was gross years ago. Maybe it’s because my radio station made a creepy parody of it years ago. Haha 

I'm on mobile so I don't feel like finding it, but the song is not what it sounds like. Slang was different back then, educate yourself before judging the song.

Don't visit my profile

AStarIsBorn21
1 hour ago, Helxig said:

I like when Gaga and Joseph Gordon-Levitt switched the roles. This song has always been creepy but flipping the script allowed me to enjoy it in a new way.

So it’s not creepy if the woman is trying to force a man to be with her? :spin: 

I can’t with some of y’all, it’s kinda ironic don’t you think. 

Helxig
6 minutes ago, AStarIsBorn21 said:

So it’s not creepy if the woman is trying to force a man to be with her? :spin: 

I can’t with some of y’all, it’s kinda ironic don’t you think. 

Well traditionally speaking it's much more frequently men who are sexually aggressive with women rather than the other way around. And particularly in the time period when the song was written men were able to 'have their way' with women and use them as sexual objects without any accountability for their actions. So yeah, the original context of the song is creepier to me. It feels as if the woman is trying her best to get away from a man who is making unwanted advances, and trapping her in his house. An uncomfortable/scary scenario too many women can relate to.

But when the roles are reversed it has a less sinister feel to it (except the line about something in his drink which is gross in any context). It feels like the woman is being flirty and the man can leave when he pleases, but she doesn't want him to. It doesn't feel like she's got the man trapped in her house. It's like those videos you see on YouTube of a woman walking down the street getting cat called by men over and over, vs a video of a woman flirting with a man. It's like those anonymous surveys of men and women and how disproportionately the women will say they've felt scared/abused vs the men.  You know that one feels more wrong than the other because of how society is for men vs women.

I also just like that they flipped the roles of dominance and submission between men and women in this version and made the woman proudly flirty and the man shy. Because overly flirty women and shy men are both seen as negative in society, and it's nice to see equality in that way. Women can be flirty and men can be shy. And the way they are acting in the clip is cute.

And also I just think it's a catchy song that has always been tainted by that feeling in the background, so it's nice to hear it in a different light.

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

FlopSlurper
3 hours ago, FinnishGypsy said:

I really can't stay (Baby it's cold outside)
I gotta go away (Baby it's cold outside)
This evening has been (Been hoping that you'd dropped in)
So very nice (I'll hold your hands they're just like ice)
My mother will start to worry (Beautiful what's your hurry?)
My father will be pacing the floor (Listen to the fireplace roar)
So really I'd better scurry (Beautiful please don't hurry)
Well maybe just a half a drink more (I'll put some records on while I pour)

The neighbors might think (Baby it's bad out there)
Say what's in this drink? (No cabs to be had out there)
I wish I knew how (Your eyes are like starlight now)
To break this spell (I'll take your hat, your hair looks swell) (Why thank you)
I ought to say no, no, no sir (Mind if move in closer?)
At least I'm gonna say that I tried (What's the sense of hurtin' my pride?)
I really can't stay (Baby don't hold out)
Baby it's cold outside

Ah, you're very pushy you know?

I like to think of it as opportunistic

I simply must go (Baby it's cold outside)
The answer is no (But baby it's cold outside)
The welcome has been (How lucky that you dropped in)
So nice and warm (Look out the window at that storm)
My sister will be suspicious (Gosh your lips look delicious!)
My brother will be there at the door (Waves upon a tropical shore)
My maiden aunt's mind is vicious (Gosh your lips are delicious!)
Well maybe just a cigarette more (Never such a blizzard before) (And I don't even smoke)

I've got to get home (Baby you'll freeze out there)
Say lend me a coat? (It's up to your knees out there!)
You've really been grand, (I feel when I touch your hand)
But don't you see? (How can you do this thing to me?)—[AKA trying to guilt her because HE is horny; how dare she do this to him and go home to her worried family during a blizzard without first ****ing him].
There's bound to be talk tomorrow (Think of my life long sorrow!)—[Apparently blue balls is now “life long sorrow”]
At least there will be plenty implied (If you caught pneumonia and died!)—[Scare tactics to convince someone to have sex with you rather than die from a terrible illness isn’t exactly my idea of seduction].
I really can't stay (Get over that old out)
Baby it's cold
Baby it's cold outside
Okay fine, just another drink then
That took a lot of convincing!

This song sounds like the Bill Cosby playbook.

sis it ain't that deep, my god

ban bad romance it promotes un-safe sex she says "I want your disease"

ban sexxx dreams she promotes cheating "heard your boyfriend was away this weekend wanna meet in my place?"

See what I did there? I took the song out of context and interpreted it in some stupid way to make it offensive, when in reality she means she wants everything about him in Bad romance, the good and bad. And in sexxx dreams it's a dream. :toofunny:

AStarIsBorn21
7 minutes ago, Helxig said:

Well traditionally speaking it's much more frequently men who are sexually aggressive with women rather than the other way around. And particularly in the time period when the song was written men were able to 'have their way' with women and use them as sexual objects without any accountability for their actions. So yeah, the original context of the song is creepier to me. It feels as if the woman is trying her best to get away from a man who is making unwanted advances, and trapping her in his house. An uncomfortable/scary scenario too many women can relate to.

But when the roles are reversed it has a less sinister feel to it (except the line about something in his drink which is gross in any context). It feels like the woman is being flirty and the man can leave when he pleases, but she doesn't want him to. It doesn't feel like she's got the man trapped in her house. It's like those videos you see on YouTube of a woman walking down the street getting cat called by men over and over, vs a video of a woman flirting with a man. It's like those anonymous surveys of men and women and how disproportionately the women will say they've felt scared/abused vs the men.  You know that one feels more wrong than the other because of how society is for men vs women.

I also just like that they flipped the roles of dominance and submission between men and women in this version and made the woman proudly flirty and the man shy. Because overly flirty women and shy men are both seen as negative in society, and it's nice to see equality in that way. Women can be flirty and men can be shy. And the way they are acting in the clip is cute.

And also I just think it's a catchy song that has always been tainted by that feeling in the background, so it's nice to hear it in a different light.

I’m actually confused now. Is it ok because it swapped the gender roles, or because you understand the context of this certain performance and that it’s more shy vs flirty?

Would you be opposed to a shy woman vs flirty man, or opposed to an aggressive woman vs uncomfortable man? Obviously I have no problem either way with the song gender wise as long as the singers don’t talk too aggressively or forcibly. But if you think that even an aggressive woman vs uncomfortable man is an OK situation because it’s not as common as the other way around, that sounds extremely wrong. 

Oriane

I just read the lyrics and I don't find them rapey at all, and I'm very sensitive to this subject. It seems to be more of a playful love situation, the man is trying to convince her to stay with simply stating that it's cold outside, and the line "what's in this drink" is actually "The neighbors might think / Say what's in this drink?". I did this a lot with my ex-girlfriend and it was always playful, because none of us wanted to be separated and we were saying lame excuses like "but it's cold outside you should wait a little", just to be together a bit more.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

Serial Chiller

Welp let’s ban all classical literature while we’re at it then. Dracula is misogynistic, Hemingway is toxic masculinity, etc. 

RAMROD

Ridiculous :lmao:

Whatever, I will still play it on my Christmas party anyway. :lmao:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Reality

I love that there are social movements that are trying to spread awareness for social issues, but this is going too far. Things like this are what makes today's social movements look like a bunch of overly sensitive, PC-everything twitter users. If they're going to ban this song, then they need to ban literally every rap and hip-hop song. 

Context also matters. This was written and done in the 1940s. The lyrics aren't so much about rape than they are about getting intimate with someone. A song like this was probably the equivalent of rap songs today (in terms of the message behind the song): it was pretty provocative. 

🖤👹

RadioIsOurs
4 hours ago, FinnishGypsy said:

Why do you think this nation has such an epidemic of violence against women?

Surely it can’t at all be correlated with the manner in which men are raised in this culture, wherein they are inundated with implicit “women are disposable whores” rhetoric through every aspect of the media (e.g., movies, songs, etc). It’s so crucial to remember how the media, aka popular culture, normalizes behavior. In fact, it effectively sets the boundaries for it.

Hence, it’s far past time to stop endorsing the societal mindset that has contributed to rape culture for decades upon decades. Will banning this one particular song, or all problematic media material for that matter, solve the issue of violence against women? Absolutely not. But at least it’s a start.

Well I didn't need the radio to teach me that murder or taking drugs are bad, my parents and school can do that. I don't see a murder scene in a movie and think it's not wrong. So why can't the same be done for attitude towards women? Why don't parents and schools teach that rape is wrong? The problem lies with your ****ed up society, not the media. 

Morphine Prince

The song is about a man trying to convince a woman to stay over so they can have sex. Back in the 40’s people weren’t openly sleeping with each other non-married etc, it was a more hidden thing. 

The line I have an issue with is “what’s in this drink?” .... it sounds date-rapey. 

The topic of the song can be taken as light foreplay words but in our modern society a NO SHOULD BE A NO. I don’t like that aspect of the song. 

Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke says “I know you want it” repeatedly and is also very date-rapey. 

Chromatislaps
9 hours ago, PunkTheFunk said:

I really can't stay (but baby, it's cold outside)
I said no you pervert (but baby it's cold outside)
I'm calling the cops (let me get my lawyers on the phone)

giphy.gif

I can't 

5833d2c6f3f2aa1d36fbc3482759e27f.png

Archived