đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

ARTPOP 'Libel'

NotMyFlop

Featured Posts

I said it before and I'm saying it now .. ARTPOP would be better without the messy/immature lyrics and the over production.  

JazzGa

Yes, ARTPOP's main shortcoming was too many ideas coming together at the same time. Her label wanted her to do this Disney Princess stoner glam fashion thing while Gaga was trying to do this historical art reference thing that was pretty elementary in that it only brushed on your average 5th graders knowledge of Greek mythology and modern art, then at the same time there was a weird push for trap music to be involved in that for some reason? And an under the sea prom theme was also there as well? Plus raving, because duh. And "fuk da INDUSTRY!!" rebellion, which got thrown in at the last minute for personal reasons. Individually, I like the ideas, but there were so many that the album fails conceptually. 

I wonder if releasing ACT II would have brought these ideas together in a more organized way. 

ARTPOP is like a collage of ideas rather than a concept album, and I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing. But yes, it is not a very good example of a concept album. 

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with Brian🎺 and Steve🎷

Smother Em Eh

It’s not her worst Album. Her worst album is TF in my opinion. It’s an iconic debut album but compared to her other albums it is the weakest. Atleast it has a concept tho and that is where I put my stand on AP.

ARTPOP isn’t a horrible album. It isn’t a particularly a masterpiece but it isn’t a bad album at all either. It has some really strong tracks like Do What U Want, Fashion!, Applause, Gypsy etc. and some not so strong tracks (Swine, Dope, Mary Jane Holland etc.). The big thing about ARTPOP that bothers many people is that it doesn’t have one particular theme or concept. It’s kinda all over the place. And well like Gaga said, “ARTPOP could mean anything” and I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing. 

Each Album is an adrenaline rush and a celebration of her pain. It is a wild and creative record. It knows how to get you thinking and also knows how to get you to dance your butt off! It is a lot of what a pop album should be. It’s also iconic AF too.

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

lgaga1fan

I think that she just accepted that ARTPOP wasn't a good album. It was dated before it was even released and has some unlistenable tracks on it. 

PartySick
2 hours ago, DONAJENDRO said:

That and other talk like it was "ahead of its time"

I think that's the opposite of the problem.

The music industry evolves at such a rapid pace these days due to social media and the internet as a whole. If she didn't break her hip and ARTPOP came in its original form in 2012 rather than the slightly dated 2013 version, it would've smashed. We would've missed out on great songs like Applause and Dope though, as they're inspired by her down time, but still :shrug:

It was just a great album that missed its GP chance, imo. Thankfully, the fans show it plenty of love and I think that means a lot to Gaga.

2 hours ago, ARTPOPSTER said:

As Gaga has said in the past, ARTPOP was an explosion of everything in her mind. While I agree that it lacked much of what her former albums had, I feel that it’s theme was the fact that it was so crazy, weird, and disjointed.

This too^ :huntyga: She wanted to talk about so many things on ARTPOP that it was scatter brained which, imo, is part of its charm and why I love it so much :flutter:

It starts off with Aura through MANiCURE, talking about sex and one's "place" or identity within the context of a relationship (romantic, socially, or otherwise).

Do What U Want is a personal track about the tabloids and her detractors. It's kind of a stand alone track.

ARTPOP, I think, is meant to sonically represent what the concept of "ARTPOP" is all about. No rise, no fall, chaotic in some places (see the distorted bass noises near the choruses) and a rhythmic constant (the main synth, percussion) all at the same time. It serves as a bridge to what I think is the second most personal song on the album: Swine. Her anger and trauma given audible form.

Fashion! and Donatella are a return to the glitzy FameGa with a satirical twist on the latter track.

Then we get to the songs that deal with her hip/BTWB ordeal. Mary Jane Holland is about her changing her identity, getting lost in Holland (high, of course), and just living free for a bit. Dope is an apology to those she's hurt or disappointed with her reliance on weed while recovering from her injury. These songs go hand in hand. I think her having to end her tour and basically have a media black out was more of a trauma to her mental and emotional state than the actual, physical injury. She wanted to lose herself (become MJH) and weed was her escape. Unfortunately, she hurt those that loved her and gifted Dope to them.

Gypsy is a love song to her fans and to Taylor (we all miss you dad :cryga:). It's Dope's post-recovery sister. MJH is gone, Gaga's back on the world stage doing what she loves.

Applause goes along the same vein as Dope except it focuses less on what she did to deal with the trauma of losing her tour and fans. Rather, its focus is on why it was traumatic to lose them. She lives to entertain, to create, to sing, dance, play, and express herself with us.

So yeah, there isn't one running theme to the album but I don't find that problematic at all. Maybe it would've done better commercially without Jewels n' Drugs, MANiCURE, Fashion!, and Donatella (and I won't hear of any other songs being cut :grr:) but then it wouldn't be the messy little album/era that could and did :heart:

Spoiler

Aura
Venus
G.U.Y.
Sexxx Dreams
Do What U Want
ARTPOP
Swine
Mary Jane Holland
Dope
Gypsy
Applause

Definitely would've been a more cohesive album but I wouldn't change a thing honestly :giveup:

đź’š

JohnnyVersace
3 hours ago, NotMyFlop said:

If lining up her bodies of work so far, it's arguably the weakest (although... I think The Fame could be argued for that). Most of the songs are good, if not great.

An opinion, and arguably inaccurate according to a large portion of this fanbase. 

ARTPOP also has a pretty lack-of-themes issue too. Joanne, Born This Way and A Star Is Born, The Fame + Monster, all carry themes and can be seen throughout the album. Gaga has tried to push a narrative forward about bringing 'art and pop together' and whatever else, but it either is way too convoluted or it simply only exists in one or two tracks.

ARTPOP does have themes though, and that's the biggest thing that people don't understand. And one of the major themes is chaos. Chaos caused by pain, assault, love, drugs, sadness, etc. 

I'd say at it's core, the three easy themes to decipher were rave culture, art, and greek mythology. And while some of the music is maybe shallow, the visuals and way of telling her story were not. She did stick to it's vision and theme, and also allowed it to grow. 

Applause, while a great song, was just a pop lead single that wasn't a radical departure or musical statement to catch people's attention. We all know mismanagement caused ARTPOP to suffer.  

Applause was literally one of her biggest singles tho and had massive radio play. 

Gaga + her management has distanced themselves HEAVILY from 

ARTPOP. For good reason! She has still performed songs here and there, so she doesn't forget its existence... but I think they realize the album wasn't what it should have been, and they have moved on. 

I disagree with this. If you look at Enigma promo, she's clearly referencing ARTPOP and that party/rave/electric/ecclectic look. I think ARTPOP happened too soon, and they realize that. It's a fantastic album, and she herself was OBSESSED with it's message for two years before it's release (I mean she got the tat in 2012), and still tried to keep it going while everything was spiraling. 

I'll fight for this album for the rest of her career.

tumblr_mzl6gg64NH1qecroco4_r1_500.gif

Archived