💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

opinion

Gaga only speaking female in ASIB

NotMyFlop

Featured Posts

Lemonade
25 minutes ago, jinko said:

Ally was going the wrong way :air: Until Gail saved her :air: A Star Is (Birthed By Gail) :air:

ally owes gail her career

isaidwhatisaid.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JazzGa

I immediately noticed that the movie did not pass the Bechdel test :smh: And I was disappointed by the complete void of female characters in a movie which otherwise tried in numerous ways to be diverse in its casting. It was such a disconnect, the contrast between the rainbow of (not L)GBT people and different races (Anyone else spot the Native American musician/guitar tech at one of Jackson's shows?)  and the lack of any significant female character other than Ally. It was so obvious, to me at least, that I thought it must be intentional, perhaps to show the isolation of a woman trying to make it as a solo artist? 

I've taken a few dips in the lady pond

Lemonade
1 minute ago, Gracious Gaga said:

inb4 Halsey wins Best Supporting Actress for ASIB

ironically the length of her acceptance speech at the oscars would be longer than her appearance in the movie

Judas Oyster
1 hour ago, River said:

From my perspective she was controlled by both man, instead of letting her finding her own voice and stage persona, both tried to make her "as they want"..  yeah maybe she controlled the hair color but it's not really enough to be a strong independent artist.

Even at the end with INLA she was what Jackson wanted her to be..

I feel that we actually never saw the real artist behind Ally..

That's an interesting view on it.

Personally I though it was about lyrics, and what Ally wanted to say to the world. Talking about jeans, áss and repeating frases (why did you do that) was not how Jackson wanted her to be BECAUSE that wasn't Ally. That was Ally being controlled. In many ways I believe that what happened with him was all to the fame monster. Having to choose shows, easy lyrics and not having so much time anymore. But as his brother said 'It's Jack's fault'. Due to his addiction he truly couldn't manage. Which I believe would have been a happy ending for the movie after working out the change in lifestyle.

FATCAT
6 minutes ago, Gracious Gaga said:

inb4 Halsey wins Best Supporting Actress for ASIB

SPOILERS AHEAD

Spoiler

She didn't get piss on her toes for nothing.

Purr more, hiss less.

Judas Oyster

I don't think it's a problem bc the music industry is indeed male dominated. Actually most industries are...

Oriane
2 hours ago, FATCAT said:

I think we should be more worried that Charlie Chaplin, a man, didn't get to speak once his entire career. smh.

He did and more than once. :oprah:

Not sure if it was just a joke or you didn't bother to look.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

FATCAT
5 minutes ago, Oriane said:

He did and more than once. :oprah:

Not sure if it was just a joke or you didn't bother to look.

It was a joke AND I didn't bother to look :hor:

Purr more, hiss less.

Lynette Howell Taylor (one of ASIB's producers), August 22:

Q: Even though you shot the film before the Time's Up movement, has the balance between the male and female characters changed?

A: I don't think it changed the story. The movie is about a woman in a man's world. There are not a lot of women in the film, and that's by choice, because the music industry has been very dominated, especially behind the scenes, by men. That's very much a part of the 
contemporary telling of this story.

:huntyga:

androiduser

Not sure if that's an intended "political" message of the movie, and I don't think Ally took control of her career, she just went with the flow... I think Gaga fans are quick to defend Ally because they somehow equate her to Gaga.

Oriane
6 minutes ago, FATCAT said:

It was a joke AND I didn't bother to look :hor:

I'm more triggered by the fact that I'm the only one to react in three pages of thread :smh:

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

androiduser
26 minutes ago, Satans Ex Wife said:

It was so obvious, to me at least, that I thought it must be intentional, perhaps to show the isolation of a woman trying to make it as a solo artist? 

She could have had a female friend character before she got famous...

JazzGa
Just now, androiduser said:

She could have had a female friend character before she got famous...

But it wasn't shown in the movie so why does that matter :selena: 

I've taken a few dips in the lady pond

Archived