💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

opinion

Gaga only speaking female in ASIB

NotMyFlop

Featured Posts

NotMyFlop

is gaga being the only female-speaking character in ASIB problematic?

(minor spoilers ahead)

in theory, yes. 

however, i would argue that’s the point for ASIB? 

the movie makes it clear that gender politics are important. she talks about how the male-dominated industry has affected on the first date w/ jackson & then gets upset at her dad’s sexism. 

then, her career is launched (and guided) by men who believe in her. the movie focuses on how she did/become more independent with her music. 

however, ofc jackson said she “sold out” with her pop music, but the message was that she still loved it and owned it. so i think it carries a good mesage in that sense? 

thoughts? i would say more but don’t wanna be too spoilery. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FATCAT

I think we should be more worried that Charlie Chaplin, a man, didn't get to speak once his entire career. smh.

Purr more, hiss less.

derpmonster
5 minutes ago, FATCAT said:

I think we should be more worried that Charlie Chaplin, a man, didn't get to speak once his entire career. smh.

Did he not get to?

Also I don't know what your point is.

I do think it's a little weird that ASIB didn't have more female characters and that it was a bit stereotypical with the gay friend straight girl thing. Not too bad of a thing (before everyone here starts saying stuff about being offended). It doesn't make the movie bad. It's not offense. We're just wondering and thinking if it could be different. If y'all don't like to analyze movies socially, that's fine.

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

River

Actually I didn't notice that, thanks for pointing it out.

But I think it's more a statement than a problem, it's to say that man are still controlling the industry, and even more, it can be your partner that love you the most..

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta

• Admin changed the title to Gaga only speaking female in ASIB
GoldenPonyboy

Not gonna lie this bothered me a little bit. Would have been nice for gaga to have a female friend to kind of talk with, although anthony ramos was really good. This could have easily been fixed by giving shangela or willam an extra scene towards the end. I know they are jot women but still would have been nice

Reality

I don't get why people are necessarily defending Ally when she became a pop star. It's not that her becoming pop was a bad thing, it's the fact that she was being manipulated and she didn't even realize it. This will sort of be a tangent from the OP is discussing, but it kind of irritates me when people act like Jackson was the bad guy in the movie. He wasn't. He was being brutally honest to Ally.

Again, the problem wasn't that she was turning into a pop star, it's that she was losing her voice and just becoming a puppet for the industry. Of course, gender roles play into this. If Ally was a male figure, very little of this manipulation would have occurred, if any at all, because male singers aren't necessarily held to the exact same standards as female singers in the industry. 

𝐼 𝒥𝒰𝒮𝒯 𝒩𝐸𝐸𝒟 𝒜 𝒟𝒪𝒮𝐸 𝒪𝐹 𝒯𝐻𝐸 𝑅𝐼𝒢𝐻𝒯 𝒮𝒯𝒰𝐹𝐹

FATCAT
20 minutes ago, derpmonster said:

Did he not get to?

Also I don't know what your point is.

I do think it's a little weird that ASIB didn't have more female characters and that it was a bit stereotypical with the gay friend straight girl thing. Not too bad of a thing (before everyone here starts saying stuff about being offended). It doesn't make the movie bad. It's not offense. We're just wondering and thinking if it could be different. If y'all don't like to analyze movies socially, that's fine.

Nope. They didn't even let him have lines!

giphy.gif

Purr more, hiss less.

GypsyBabe

I think this was intentional and served the plot. 

Ally lives and is pulled in to a male dominated world, yet in the end comes through the other side with convinction and confidence in herself. She is a strong character with a strong voice. 

⚯͛

River
3 minutes ago, M Monstre said:

I don't get why people are necessarily defending Ally when she became a pop star. It's not that her becoming pop was a bad thing, it's the fact that she was being manipulated and she didn't even realize it. This will sort of be a tangent from the OP is discussing, but it kind of irritates me when people act like Jackson was the bad guy in the movie. He wasn't. He was being brutally honest to Ally.

Again, the problem wasn't that she was turning into a pop star, it's that she was losing her voice and just becoming a puppet for the industry. Of course, gender roles play into this. If Ally was a male figure, very little of this manipulation would have occurred, if any at all, because male singers aren't necessarily held to the exact same standards as female singers in the industry. 

From my perspective she was controlled by both man, instead of letting her finding her own voice and stage persona, both tried to make her "as they want"..  yeah maybe she controlled the hair color but it's not really enough to be a strong independent artist.

Even at the end with INLA she was what Jackson wanted her to be..

I feel that we actually never saw the real artist behind Ally..

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta

Supersonic

Tbh I think it was a concious choice to reflect that in times where "we should know better" and in times of #MeToo... there still not a lot of women in charge in the music business. If you're a woman in the business, you're most likely to be a performer still. It's reflective of a sad reality.

Archived