💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Should straights be able to play gay roles?

loathereality

Featured Posts

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may be wrong, but I don't think people are mad about Bryan Cranston playing Walter White, though he's clearly not a meth cook nor a ****ing monster. If being irascible and self-interested are personality traits, shouldn't a person that's naturally irascible and self-interested play him?

It's as simple as making sure there is not discrimination when it comes to casting if the role can be nailed by a great actor regardless of sexuality, race or whatever.

6 minutes ago, Blue wig said:

Apparently a lot of LGBT+ actors never get roles either because of homo- or transphobia, or because straight people expect them only to perform in LGBT+ roles were their identity is central plotpoint

(I'm not really an expert on films though, I'm sure someone could bring better arguments than me :spin:)

Another point would be the Scarlett Johanson problem, being that they give the role not only to a cis actress, but to one who is already established as an actress, when there are probably a lot of trans actors and actresses out there who might never get hired, it feels like a waste

I get this, but we also know making a movie is a business (for 90% of the people working there). It's also the only job many people have. It's evident that producers would want a famous actor/actress to secure an audience and be sure that the movie won't be a terrible flop, and I don't think that's wrong. 

Also, almost all those famous people started in shitty productions and it took them time to get to that point where they can choose where they want to work. Why can't new actors/actresses do the same thing?

RahrahWitch

Yes.

The Only valid concern is that LGBT Actors be given the same Opportunities as Straight Actors. It's known that when an actor comes out their seen differently by the film industry. They suddenly don't fit the mold to play some straight roles because of their personal life. Hopefully we move past this soon.

ShockPop

It's the same as any job. The one who is best gets the role.

A good example is Eric McCormack and John Barrowman. Barrowman is gay but was declined for the role because he acted too straight. The gay character of Will in Will & Grace is now played by Eric who is straight. Why? Because he played the character better.

Nobody complains that Ellen plays Dory.

Sarah Muller

Of course. all human being should get the same rights and opportunities in life!

Sarah, 29 y.o. blondie from Brussels, Belgium.

Reality
9 hours ago, loathereality said:

she was going to play a trans role then it was a huge issue within the social media and the media then she gave up on the role

how is it different from this case

Okay with that specifically, from what I've heard, the role she was playing was about a woman that wanted to transition to a man, but never did. I don't know how if that's completely true, but if it is, then I think that whole debate was frankly, quite stupid. If her role involved a woman wanting to transition, but not getting the chance to, then she is a woman (biologically and anatomically speaking), so Scarlett could have done that role.

In my opinion, I think it's a little trickier with trans roles because unlike sexuality, gender identity and transition from one gender to another involves your physical appearance (similar to race). While I do definitely believe that trans actors need more attention and more opportunities, I still believe that straight actors (if they are respectful and are able to do their research) should be able to play them.

Again, I think the only exception to this is race because it's not like you can change your skin tone or anything. 

🃏🖤👹

loathereality
11 minutes ago, Adarsh Soni said:

This thread has inspired a series of new threads. :ladyhaha:

only the original becomes the hit tho 

:firega:

djBuffoon

Yes. Speaking as a gay actor, I have played far more straight men than I have anything else. If the person chosen can embody the role with more accuracy then anyone else who was considered, then their sexuality in real life is irrelevant.

Cody James

I think its a dream to have more LGBT actors, but, having straight men representing us and putting their “reputation” on the line I find admirable and a sign of progress for acceptance in itself. 

loathereality
4 minutes ago, Cody James said:

I think its a dream to have more LGBT actors, but, having straight men representing us and putting their “reputation” on the line I find admirable and a sign of progress for acceptance in itself. 

sir, that deserved the love reaction 

Archived