Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
opinion

Could Gaga reach Ariana-level radioplay?

hoeslay

Featured Posts

hoeslay

This is not a critique or a rant thread and it's completely subjective. 

Today at the dentist they were playing 102.7 KIIS fm, which is LA's biggest radio station. Within the span of 30 minutes they played God Is a Woman, No Tears Left to Cry, and Breathin + within like an hour or so God Is a Woman was played TWICE. I'm not saying this is necessarily a good thing, because this can sometimes be how songs die out because of overplay. I just think it's really fascinating that Ariana dropped 3 successful singles back to back and they all get CRAZY radioplay (maybe payola? but even so...sis come thru with that payola get ur coin b). Also Post Malone's Better Now played twice within an hour. 

I'm not saying I want Gaga to become a generic commercial artist who just sh*ts out singles (nor am I insinuating that that's what Ariana does because her singles are definitely bops). I just wanted to share my thoughts. I miss hearing Gaga on the radio all the time, and since The Fame/Monster era (which I already know people are gonna be like..times were different/it was her prime/etc.) I don't recall ever hearing more than ONE Gaga single play on the radio at a time except maybe BTW/The Edge of Glory. I'm hoping that with the success of ASIB and Shallow + Enigma, we'll hopefully get an amazing LG6 era full of bops that dominate the radio. #2020RadioIsOurs :vegas:

hoeslay
3 minutes ago, Needlesslyrics said:

Do you not remember Just Dance, Poker Face and Paparazzi? She's been there and done that

Please refer to my post:

"since The Fame/Monster era (which I already know people are gonna be like..times were different/it was her prime/etc.) I don't recall ever hearing more than ONE Gaga single play on the radio at a time except maybe BTW/The Edge of Glory."

Gagastan2k18

Actually in the U.K where I live 

'Shallow' is doing quite well

I went to my local supermarket and I heard 'shallow' twice within 30 mins 

Hopefully she can continue this with LG6 xx

NewRules
16 minutes ago, hoeslay said:

Please refer to my post:

"since The Fame/Monster era (which I already know people are gonna be like..times were different/it was her prime/etc.) I don't recall ever hearing more than ONE Gaga single play on the radio at a time except maybe BTW/The Edge of Glory."

No, she's not going to make generic radio music again. She did that with the singles I mentioned, gained notoriety and has since explored themes and sounds which are far from the standard. Forget about the singles chart, the album sales is what matter. 

derpmonster

It can happen. Remember when we thought she wouldn't do streaming or wouldn't have another Top 3 hit?

7 minutes ago, Needlesslyrics said:

No, she's not going to make generic radio music again. She did that with the singles I mentioned, gained notoriety and has since explored themes and sounds which are far from the standard. Forget about the singles chart, the album sales is what matter. 

She made The Cure. I think she can make trendy pop music if she wants to, still.

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

GagaUnderYou

If Gaga's team plays their cards right. Why was Shallow not sent to worldwide radios when the song debuted? 

4 minutes ago, GagaUnderYou said:

If Gaga's team plays their cards right. Why was Shallow not sent to worldwide radios when the song debuted? 

Because it was not meant as a proper single but just as a buzz. Its unexpected commercial success led them to make it as an official single

☄️ Before there was love, there was silence 🌌

hoeslay
42 minutes ago, Needlesslyrics said:

please refer to my post pt. 2 

"I'm not saying I want Gaga to become a generic commercial artist who just sh*ts out singles"

MaryJaneHolland

She doesn't need to dumb herself down and make "generic/mainstream music". I mean, everyone claims she resurrected the electro sound, so she was clearly releasing not so radio-friendly material when she was the most played on radio?

To me, she needs to drop a pop album (Gaga type of pop, not Selena :selena:) with catchy hooks and that certain Gaga X Factor attached to them, with videos that have a "wtf" moment/replay value and she might be a radio force again. :selena: Idk... :selena:

MaryJaneHolland
44 minutes ago, Needlesslyrics said:

she's not going to make generic radio music again.

Was everything Just Dance-Applause generic radio music? 

Stephen

If Ariana was 10 years older putting out the same songs, she would be getting less airplay. It's a lot about the image and people want their artists to feel cool. I feel that's been Gaga's biggest hurdle for commercial hits is appearing "cool" again. 

If she was seen as cool The Cure would have been way bigger. I'm curious to see the reaction to her pop music after all the acclaim ASIB is getting.

GagaUnderYou
31 minutes ago, Sam98 said:

Because it was not meant as a proper single but just as a buzz. Its unexpected commercial success led them to make it as an official single

Still waited way too long. When TEOG and DWUW were buzz singles, in a matter of hours, days they became singles sent to radio. 

Archived