Lady Gaga: 'It's Important to me that that music doesn't sound like mine'

monketsharona

Featured Posts

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BrillliantBoi
5 hours ago, Didymus said:

the film's storyline seems to be so almost deliberately close to Gaga's own biography, or rather, the way she presents it. Maybe I'm looking too hard for clues about that.

She has put a variation of her sort of journey or lineage, or a story of how fame mutates people in various ways, in many projects I have noticed. It is an ever changing way of reconciling with and coexisting inside of the world of fame. Artists retell the story of how they constantly rebecome themselves. 

FentyGa

The pop songs are the best part of the soundtrack:oops:
Of course I love the others but I wouldn't mind a whole album of HBF, WDYDT? and HM
I'll admit that WDYDT? is a bit not-gaga but HM is very Gaga. Maybe even my favourite Gaga song (maybe because it's new, we'll see after a bit)

Ronlop
8 hours ago, Didymus said:

Hmm. I mean, I sort of get what she's saying, she probably just means they sound radio friendly in a very "this could be released by Selena Gomez right now" way, which is true (doesn't mean they're bad, I quite enjoy the pop tracks on the soundtrack).

Where I think she misses the mark is that she actively tried to be that girl with The Cure lol.

What I think is more interesting, anyway, is that she's only talking about those pop songs, and implies that the other songs do sound like her. Does she mean that the shallow presentation of pop in the movie is not the way she sees it, or that her pop is different because it does have soul?

I get what you're saying but she also said "so I went with a sound for her, even in the pop realm, that's unlike anything I've ever put out before."

BrillliantBoi
6 hours ago, Jaume said:

I think she refers  to Hair Body Face which is quite crap  because  it is mean to be that way... in the movie (spoiler) she starts as an unknown person who is very talented at singing and songwriting and then her debut song is very bubblegum  pop with terrible lyrics... it's like a  criticism of what the music industry did to Ally... all about the image and so on rather than Ally herself and her talent.

Well the music industry is horrible to most people who get signed to a label nowadays, so sort of parodying yourself or twisting the rules is what some artists do to poke fun at their circumstances and to manifest something that they feel they can steer and control at least somewhat. And, while there are some tongue-in-cheek moments here, especially for 'The 'Fame,' her vocals have gradually shed the playback, the pitch manipulation, the robotic nature with each subsequent record, telling a story of a voice that battled the saccharin, milquetoast industry and busted through it, echoing in it's raw form. 

So, in many ways the songs in this movie are articulated in the way of a popstar who is dynamic and unfiltered, though is still rudimentary. The pop songs are like an alternate reality to pop in the last couple of decades, where everything is dynamic and spaced out enough, and not just pushed down the chute and coming out of the pipe as being extremely tampered with or being a wall of electronic sounds. 

The instruments and dynamic volcals sound both tangible and tactile, like they have space to move and breathe.  

DrewPa

IMO the only song that sounds 100% Gaga (or rather "Stefani", because it reminds me her first demos) is ARUTW, all the others does not really... At the same time it is not the first time Gaga wrote things she wouldn't necessarily identify as "hers" or even record herself, in the past she did it already (I mean, think about Britney's Quicksand or J.Lo's Hypnotico...)   

Even IWNLA is more an homage to 90s Power Ballads than a Gaga's song... It's the kind of song she would have written for Céline Dion (or Whitney...) if she asked her to. 

The Pop tracks in the OST are clearly Ally's song... I can't imagine Gaga record anything like that for an album of hers.

Most of the songs sound like "Gaga writing an album for a 20 YO Pop Star she decided to produce" kind of work.

Of course, this shows all her versatility as a musician.

I'm a real Fire CRRRACKERRR

vitoburrrito

Anybody else notice how she seems much more relaxed and confident in this interview, whereas in the daytime TV and nighttime talk shows she seems really awkward and anxious?

Pop Music is fun and basic. These pop songs on this album are her best in YEARS. My non Stan friends all love Hair Body Face. And they do sound like Gaga:firega:. 

kaojen
28 minutes ago, macca said:

Pop Music is fun and basic. These pop songs on this album are her best in YEARS. My non Stan friends all love Hair Body Face. And they do sound like Gaga:firega:. 

Oh man do I disagree. 

I think the writing on the songs for this film are so amazing because they purely know how to create a sound. Bradley’s songs sound like old southern rock songs that could have come out years ago and Ally’s purposefully sound basic and shallow. 

I disliked Ally’s bubblegum pop SO MUCH. WDYDT is not my fave AT ALL. I think they are only good because Gaga and DJWS has something to do with them. They just know how to write music and create an image. Even an image I hate. 

River

ARUTW is very Gaga, the arrangement, the oh yeah and stuff, it's really her when she's on the piano..

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta

Disco Stick

I think there is a clear distinction between Ally and Gaga and that is good, otherwise she wouldn't really be playing a role.

JohnWayne92

I dont understand how people dont like the Heal Me. :awkney:

Whatever. I'm getting cheese fries. :madge:

1 minute ago, JohnWayne92 said:

I agree

I think Heal Me is my favourite Gaga song ever. 

Yum. Share?

5 minutes ago, JohnWayne92 said:

I agree

I think Heal Me is my favourite Gaga song ever. 

Yum. Share

StJerome

Yeah... I don’t buy this line she’s been saying. HBF sounds like A darkchild demo from TF/TFM days hands down like Reloaded or No Way. Something she would have given to The Pussycat Dolls.

Also never mind she’s singing about not being seen as a beauty queen but still feels sexy, and uses the line “if I cared what they think, I wouldn’t succeed”– this is about HER. 

if the pop songs were never meant to sound like her she wouldn’t have ever put out The Cure as her own. 

Archived